News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 17, 2023, 05:57:57 PMThe fact that it was still going ahead after Kenney pulled his stunts has nothing to do with whether those steps were necessary to get the approval in the first place.  After the approval was given, it could not be taken away, no matter what Kenney might have done.

The Federal Government owns TransMountain - they can do whatever the hell they want with it.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

HVC

Canada's new space agency logo. I like it.

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

crazy canuck

Reporting, based on Canadian intelligence sources, that a Liberal MP told Chinese consulate officials to delay releasing the two Michaels because, he explained to the Chinese, a delay would hurt the Conservatives and help the Liberals.  That MP has just announced in the House, that he will be sitting as an independent while the matter is investigated.

https://globalnews.ca/news/9570437/liberal-mp-han-dong-secretly-advised-chinese-diplomat-in-2021-to-delay-freeing-two-michaels-sources/

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Jacob

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on March 23, 2023, 01:03:35 PMShitty if true

Why the qualifier?  The report is sourced to "two separate national security sources" and said "Global News has granted anonymity to sources on the Dong investigation because they face possible prosecution for sharing information on China's allegedly vast subversion of Canada's democracy, including clandestine interference in the 2019 and 2021 federal elections."

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

crazy canuck

@Jacob, this is the second time in as many months that sources within Canadian Intelligence have risked their careers to leak information.  A reasonable inference can be made that they did so, in both cases, because the government did nothing after being briefed about what occurred.

So, not only is this one situation really shitty.  The reality that this government is doing nothing about it, unless pushed to do so, is imo more problematic.

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on March 23, 2023, 01:07:44 PM

Why the qualifier?  The report is sourced to "two separate national security sources" and said "Global News has granted anonymity to sources on the Dong investigation because they face possible prosecution for sharing information on China's allegedly vast subversion of Canada's democracy, including clandestine interference in the 2019 and 2021 federal elections."

Because all I know about this is this thread on languish. Doing business travel at the moment and not following the news closely.

Josephus

Spoken like a true prosecutor.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Sheilbh

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 23, 2023, 01:16:29 PM@Jacob, this is the second time in as many months that sources within Canadian Intelligence have risked their careers to leak information.  A reasonable inference can be made that they did so, in both cases, because the government did nothing after being briefed about what occurred.

So, not only is this one situation really shitty.  The reality that this government is doing nothing about it, unless pushed to do so, is imo more problematic.
Yeah it feels like a very big story (not sure it's getting the attention it deserves out of Canada) both for what China seems to have been doing but also the slightly lackadaisical attitude the Canadian government seem to have adopted to it.
Let's bomb Russia!

viper37

Quote from: Jacob on March 23, 2023, 03:03:40 PMDoing business travel at the moment and not following the news closely.
I really hope you're not passing through China like you planned...

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Jacob

Quote from: viper37 on March 23, 2023, 08:02:19 PM
Quote from: Jacob on March 23, 2023, 03:03:40 PMDoing business travel at the moment and not following the news closely.
I really hope you're not passing through China like you planned...

No :)

viper37

Barrister

Quote from: Josephus on March 23, 2023, 04:52:08 PM

Spoken like a true prosecutor.

:huh:

I am a true prosecutor.  You know that.

Any part of what I said you disagree with?