News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Hungarian Politics

Started by Tamas, March 09, 2011, 01:25:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

So what kind of health troubles that gargantuan belly could indicate?

Barrister

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 18, 2023, 05:39:07 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 18, 2023, 05:30:08 PMElaborez s'il vous plait.
I think an advatnage of NATO is that unless you leave, then during a crisis there isn't an out. You are locked on a path that is ultimately determined by the country that is under attack/wanting to activate Article 5.

With an expulsion mechanism there is a turning you can take and it stops being simply a question of whether each country remains committed to NATO and would respond. There's an additional layer of how does the rest of NATO feel about that country?

For example, right now, if there was an expulsion mechanism (and obviously loads of other context and specifics) - but if Turkey were attacked I'm not sure that there wouldn't be a push to just expel them. I think it could undermine the credibility of NATO across NATO and actually, possibly, introduce an element of risk in (for want of a better phrase) the NATO periphery.

Obviously countries are free and sovereign and can leave any time, but I think NATO is safer and more credible if it doesn't have an ejector seat that everyone else can pull.

But notwithstanding NATO and Article 5 there's nothing that actually compels a member country to activate their military...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Larch on March 23, 2023, 11:45:40 AMTweeted by Orban today:
A good Hungarian is an asexual Hungarian!  :ph34r:
Yeah I did not have Orban coming out in favour of gender anarchism - but here we are :lol:

QuoteBut notwithstanding NATO and Article 5 there's nothing that actually compels a member country to activate their military...
Yeah - I think that's always definitely in the balance from NATO's opponents and the reality is you can't really compel any state to actually do anything. And ultimately what we actually mean is what will America do.

But we're seeing Hungary's normal game play out now. When Turkey was threatening a veto Hungary was saying also going to try and extract for their support. Now Hungary's position is that they will approve Finland but are holding out on Sweden (announced about a week after Turkey having gained nothing).

There are real problems and issues with Orban - I think his domestic policy and the way he's inspiring sections of the American right. On the international stage, he's just the guy with a big mouth who stands behind the bully. 11 EU sanctions packages - not one veto; now on NATO, just mirroring Turkey and hoping people will take him seriously enough to give him some concessions.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Hungary actively wants a declining birth rate? :unsure:
██████
██████
██████

Duque de Bragança

Strange, a calvinist such as Orban should agree with the protty puritanic Anglos triggered by the word sex, so much they replaced it by gender (best used for grammar IMO).

:hmm:

Tamas

He might be calvinist but he much prefers attending Catholic services, there's more pomp, I am guessing.

Duque de Bragança

He was raised as a Catholic but converted to Calvinism.

I guess he is hedging his bets.  :D

HVC

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on March 28, 2023, 11:19:59 AMHe was raised as a Catholic but converted to Calvinism.

Man, he checks off all the bad boxes

:P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Sheilbh

Yeah - I mean imagine choosing Calvinism :weep: :bleeding: (I suppose from a Calvinist perspective, you don't...)
Let's bomb Russia!

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: HVC on March 28, 2023, 11:22:41 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on March 28, 2023, 11:19:59 AMHe was raised as a Catholic but converted to Calvinism.

Sayeth the one descending from crypto-Moor/Jewish converts.  :P

HVC

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on March 28, 2023, 11:25:00 AM
Quote from: HVC on March 28, 2023, 11:22:41 AM

Sayeth the one descending from crypto-Moor/Jewish converts.  :P

Pfft, they got beat into Catholicism long ago :P ain't no proties in my lineage... maybe some commies :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 28, 2023, 11:24:33 AMYeah - I mean imagine choosing Calvinism :weep: :bleeding: (I suppose from a Calvinist perspective, you don't...)

^_^

Legbiter

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 28, 2023, 11:24:33 AMYeah - I mean imagine choosing Calvinism :weep: :bleeding: (I suppose from a Calvinist perspective, you don't...)

:lol:

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Tamas

My father's family was Calvinist so careful :p

My mother's was Catholic though.

Admiral Yi

Were Hussites Calvinists?  I thought they were pre-Calvin.