News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on March 22, 2023, 11:22:57 AMWhat's it say?

Just follow the link?

Or what the heck - ""Right now there are changes, the likes of which we haven't seen for 100 years," Mr. Xi told Mr. Putin through an interpreter after the state dinner as the leaders bid farewell. "And we are the ones driving these changes together.""

I've seen this reported elsewhere as well.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Sheilbh

And the second bit of the video with Putin agreeing: '"I agree," Mr. Putin said, as he returned the handshake. "Please take care of yourself, my dear friend," Mr. Xi said before walking to his car. "Have a good trip," Mr. Putin responded.'

As I say it's Russian translation and, I'd say, more helpful for Russia. But I'm not seeing any Chinese pushback on it.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Russians are already an official minority of the prc...
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Ok so Putin crawled on the floor begging for some ammo and weapons, let's see if Xi will actually do anything or just wanted to have his... ego stroked.

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

mongers

Quote from: Tamas on March 22, 2023, 11:34:56 AMOk so Putin crawled on the floor begging for some ammo and weapons, let's see if Xi will actually do anything or just wanted to have his... ego stroked.

I could see Xi leaking weapons across the border into N.Korea and then have them re-export those to Russia?

But moving the quantity of ammunition the Russians needs to expend in Ukraine, is going to be rather hard to cover up from Western prying 'eyes'.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on March 22, 2023, 11:25:11 AM
Quote from: Jacob on March 22, 2023, 11:22:57 AMWhat's it say?

Just follow the link?

Or what the heck - ""Right now there are changes, the likes of which we haven't seen for 100 years," Mr. Xi told Mr. Putin through an interpreter after the state dinner as the leaders bid farewell. "And we are the ones driving these changes together.""

I've seen this reported elsewhere as well.

Twitter is not convenient on the device I'm using this moment.

Thank you :)

Legbiter

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Jacob

From Xi's perspective it probably makes sense to propose Russia up as much as possible as long as he can avoid serious repercussions.

Words will do that. Let's see about actions... though I don't doubt they're are doing what they can.

Sheilbh

Quote from: mongers on March 22, 2023, 12:03:50 PMI could see Xi leaking weapons across the border into N.Korea and then have them re-export those to Russia?

But moving the quantity of ammunition the Russians needs to expend in Ukraine, is going to be rather hard to cover up from Western prying 'eyes'.
I'm not sure. I don't think China would necessarily care about trying to hide it and get some (erroneous) degree of plausible deniability.

I could be wrong but I think if they thought it was worth it/in their interests then part of that calculation would be doing it openly. Trying to hide it would almost accept the premise of the West's position on Russia or the power of Western sanctions. I think if they were arm to Russia part of what China would be trying to get out of it was declaring that the West is wrong and they're willing to risk sanctions/aren't afraid of them.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 22, 2023, 12:46:38 PMI'm not sure. I don't think China would necessarily care about trying to hide it and get some (erroneous) degree of plausible deniability.

I could be wrong but I think if they thought it was worth it/in their interests then part of that calculation would be doing it openly. Trying to hide it would almost accept the premise of the West's position on Russia or the power of Western sanctions. I think if they were arm to Russia part of what China would be trying to get out of it was declaring that the West is wrong and they're willing to risk sanctions/aren't afraid of them.

Agreed.  Some people act as if selling arms to Russia is some sort of taboo and the strength of the taboo is strong enough to deter folks. 

celedhring

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 22, 2023, 12:46:38 PM
Quote from: mongers on March 22, 2023, 12:03:50 PMI could see Xi leaking weapons across the border into N.Korea and then have them re-export those to Russia?

I'm not sure. I don't think China would necessarily care about trying to hide it and get some (erroneous) degree of plausible deniability.

They seem to want to present themselves as peacemakers as opposed to the warmongering west, particularly in front of the global south. Openly supplying arms to Russia would seriously undermine that effort.

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 22, 2023, 01:02:01 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on March 22, 2023, 12:46:38 PMI'm not sure. I don't think China would necessarily care about trying to hide it and get some (erroneous) degree of plausible deniability.

Agreed.  Some people act as if selling arms to Russia is some sort of taboo and the strength of the taboo is strong enough to deter folks. 

The only countries openly shipping Russia arms are Iran and North Korea, who are already under sanctions.

The Chinese want to avoid being placed under sanctions which is why they haven't shipped arms to Russia so far.

Barrister

Russia gives awards to the pilots who took down the American drone in the Black Sea.

Russia, of course, earlier denied they had anything to do with it.

https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1638566827696562183

Sheilbh

Quote from: celedhring on March 22, 2023, 02:11:20 PMThey seem to want to present themselves as peacemakers as opposed to the warmongering west, particularly in front of the global south. Openly supplying arms to Russia would seriously undermine that effort.
Yeah I don't disagree. It's just I don't think they'll do it secretly. I think it'll be either not (for the reasons you and BBoy give) or openly supply arms (but not quite in the way the West is Ukraine - I think pitched more as a business as usual).
Let's bomb Russia!