What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Barrister

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 28, 2023, 07:05:32 PMThe story is not a story. the filing is an answer to a complaint; its a technical pleading document; it doesn't seek to dismiss anything.  The answer objects to the definition of the "Trump Organization" as a variety of improper group pleading.  It's all inside baseball lawyer procedural stuff.

Yes and no.

So back when I was in Yukon, [edited - the following was all publicly reported anyways]

So anyways, in filing a Statement of Defence to a First Nations lawsuit the federal DOJ civil branch refused to admit the existence of the First Nation in question.  Now as you say, I understood that to be fairly routine - admit nothing in a statement of defence.  But it generated tons of negative publicity, as of course the First Nation in question (I think it was the Kaska, but it doesn't matter) had been recognized by the government for almost 100 years, even if no land claim agreement had ever been signed.

So I do think lawyers need to be a little more careful in drafting such defences, because while such a filing may raise no legal eyebrows, there is always a wider audience to worry about.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

I guess Donald got bored with reading the teleprompter.

Admiral Yi

https://www.inquirer.com/opinion/commentary/mcgonigal-russian-oligarch-trump-2016-election-20230129.html

I didn't know who McGonigal was so googled him.

This article draws a very tenuous connection between him and the two October surprises that helped Trump win in 16.  So head scratching that Trump is dumping on him.

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on January 28, 2023, 04:46:32 PM
Quote from: mongers on January 28, 2023, 03:44:48 PM
Quote from: Barrister on January 28, 2023, 01:23:18 PM
Quote from: Syt on January 28, 2023, 09:37:53 AMhttps://www.businessinsider.com/trump-organization-claims-doesnt-exist-ny-fraud-suit-2023-1?op=1

In a completely random association, after reading this article I flashed back to law school, and a summer job I had doing Indian residential school lawsuits, and trying to figure out the complicated corporate structure of the Catholic church.  There is no one legal entity called the "Roman Catholic Church", only all these separate diocese and orders and whatnot.  Despite the really obvious fact that they all do in fact take their orders from the Pope through the variety on Church laws.

Suing Protestant churches was infinitely simpler, because they did in fact have a single corporate body you could sue.

No surprise that the Roman Catholic church turns out to be an incorporeal body, given all centuries they've promoted the notion of such a thing.

All corporate persons are incorporeal, though not all are gods.

Corporations and Gods have one thing in common - they are both fictions.

Admiral Yi

I just wanted to say that for all the crooks, shysters and dickheads Trump appointed or tried to appoint to high level office, Jerome Powell has done a pretty impressive job at the Fed.  Or the Feds as they call it in England.  When this thing started I didn't think it would be possible to kill inflation and engineer a soft landing.

PDH

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 07, 2023, 06:53:11 PMI just wanted to say that for all the crooks, shysters and dickheads Trump appointed or tried to appoint to high level office, Jerome Powell has done a pretty impressive job at the Fed.  Or the Feds as they call it in England.  When this thing started I didn't think it would be possible to kill inflation and engineer a soft landing.

Everybody can make a mistake now and then
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

PJL

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 07, 2023, 06:53:11 PMI just wanted to say that for all the crooks, shysters and dickheads Trump appointed or tried to appoint to high level office, Jerome Powell has done a pretty impressive job at the Fed.  Or the Feds as they call it in England.  When this thing started I didn't think it would be possible to kill inflation and engineer a soft landing.

Too early to say that's going to happen. Inflation may be going down but I think it will be a lot more sticky and probably stay around 4-6% until rates are raised again. IMO it won't be possible to keep inflation below 3% without inducing a recession.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: PJL on February 07, 2023, 09:48:08 PMToo early to say that's going to happen. Inflation may be going down but I think it will be a lot more sticky and probably stay around 4-6% until rates are raised again. IMO it won't be possible to keep inflation below 3% without inducing a recession.

Powell has already signaled continuing 25 bip raises for the near term.  Those should already be cooked into the forecasts.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Admiral Yi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sz4HLBsv_B0

It appears Donald's tweet (or is he still on Truth(c)?) was about the Stormy Daniels case.  Of all things for Donald to get arrested about.