News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

STAR TREK

Started by Phillip V, May 05, 2009, 09:46:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Yeah, so far it's been really good and fun. Ro Laren coming back was handled really well.

Loved the Vulcan crimelord :lol:

crazy canuck

The one negative of that episode is it is unlikely we will see her again.

FunkMonk

Quote from: celedhring on March 17, 2023, 10:22:57 AMYeah, so far it's been really good and fun.  coming back was handled really well.

Loved the Vulcan crimelord :lol:

Yeah seeing the Vulcan crime lord was really cool. They seem to be nailing even these very minor characters.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

viper37

Great episode.  In the future though, it'd be nice if people here would wait some 12-18hrs for spoilers?  The series doesn't air until 21h00 Thursdays GMT-5 over here...

They are big on nostalgia/fan service.  It's really a TNG last tour, their most successful franchise to date.  I think we've seen everyone from the bridge crew, except Laforge himself.  I second the call for O'Brien.  Wish Sisko would come back...  But it'd be hard to explain his aging.  Bring back an upgraded Defiant dammit!
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Syt

I wish we could get spoiler formatting again. :(
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

HVC

I kind of want to see Pulaski. Doctor show down :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Josephus

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 17, 2023, 10:49:16 AMThe one negative of that episode is it is unlikely we will see her again.

Funny, I've watched all STNG episodes, although not for a long time, and I couldn't remember the relationship between Picard and her.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

viper37

Quote from: Josephus on March 18, 2023, 05:14:35 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on March 17, 2023, 10:49:16 AMThe one negative of that episode is it is unlikely we will see her again.

Funny, I've watched all STNG episodes, although not for a long time, and I couldn't remember the relationship between Picard and her.
It's in the last season I believe.  She came onboard with an attitude problem, sort of.  Picard took her under his wing, made her into a fine officer, and he then sent her undercover to the Maquis, when she ultimately betrayed the Federation to join the Maquis.

It would have been nice if her character had later join Voyager.  Or if we'd see her in DS9, even if just a cameo.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

celedhring

Quote from: viper37 on March 18, 2023, 10:50:21 AMIt would have been nice if her character had later join Voyager.  Or if we'd see her in DS9, even if just a cameo.

Pretty sure the Kyra Neris character was at first meant to be Ro Laren, but she turned it down.

viper37

Quote from: celedhring on March 18, 2023, 10:53:12 AM
Quote from: viper37 on March 18, 2023, 10:50:21 AMIt would have been nice if her character had later join Voyager.  Or if we'd see her in DS9, even if just a cameo.

Pretty sure the Kyra Neris character was at first meant to be Ro Laren, but she turned it down.
You're right, I just went to read about it on IMBD, and Michelle Forbes turned the role down because she wanted to do something else.

Josephus

Quote from: viper37 on March 18, 2023, 10:50:21 AM
Quote from: Josephus on March 18, 2023, 05:14:35 AM

It's in the last season I believe.  She came onboard with an attitude problem, sort of.  Picard took her under his wing, made her into a fine officer, and he then sent her undercover to the Maquis, when she ultimately betrayed the Federation to join the Maquis.

It would have been nice if her character had later join Voyager.  Or if we'd see her in DS9, even if just a cameo.

But was there a hint of a "relationship" between the two? the Picard episode seemed to imply that.
I may watch that last season again.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

celedhring

I'm definitely scheduling my long-planned TNG rewatch for this summer.

viper37

Quote from: Josephus on March 19, 2023, 05:32:26 AMBut was there a hint of a "relationship" between the two? the Picard episode seemed to imply that.
I may watch that last season again.
Not that kind of relationship, nothing romantic.  Really a mentor relationship, they had a couple of episodes where they got closer and got to know one another better, but that's it.

viper37

Quote from: celedhring on March 19, 2023, 06:00:34 AMI'm definitely scheduling my long-planned TNG rewatch for this summer.
You can skip most of the first season.
The first 2 episodes, the last one.  And then you can skip most of the 2nd season 2.  The death of Tasha Yar one is ok for its future implications, but aside that, maybe The Measure of a Man.

Josephus

Thing with TNG is that that was during the day when 24 episodes were the norm. Because of this every season had its meh episodes. I remember back in the day watching it "live" with my roommate, and whenever an episode featured Worf's son, or Deanna's mom,  we were like, "fuck, we looked forward to a new episode the whole week, and this is what we get."
Civis Romanus Sum