News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Pet peeve watching Picard (which I have also seen in other shows/movies set in the future). When a character is shown as liking "oldie music" in sci-fi movies, they usually listen to oldie music from a 2023 (or whatever year the movie was made) standpoint. Would it be more fun if Picard vibed while listening to The Weeknd, whom by the 25th century is such an antique.

Josquius

Quote from: celedhring on March 10, 2023, 05:23:43 AMPet peeve watching Picard (which I have also seen in other shows/movies set in the future). When a character is shown as liking "oldie music" in sci-fi movies, they usually listen to oldie music from a 2023 (or whatever year the movie was made) standpoint. Would it be more fun if Picard vibed while listening to The Weeknd, whom by the 25th century is such an antique.

Though in defence of this. I think the odds are higher that music that has survived with a fanbase for the past 60 years might still be popular in 400, than a random artist who might well be forgotten in 5 years.

Though it does remind me of an awesome joke in Futurama of Run DMC (I think?) being classical music.

A more annoying trope I find is the number of people you get who are into 20th century stuff in general. You never see obsessives for the 18th century or the 22nd, its always the 20th (or now 21st I suppose)
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on March 10, 2023, 05:23:43 AMPet peeve watching Picard (which I have also seen in other shows/movies set in the future). When a character is shown as liking "oldie music" in sci-fi movies, they usually listen to oldie music from a 2023 (or whatever year the movie was made) standpoint. Would it be more fun if Picard vibed while listening to The Weeknd, whom by the 25th century is such an antique.

I saw a joke about that in Dr. Who once, in which some alien creature started talking in a party about "long lost music of old Earth" or somesuch and played a piece of it for its guests, and it was Britney Spears' Toxic.  :lol:

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Grey Fox

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 09, 2023, 05:54:36 PM
Quote from: HVC on March 09, 2023, 05:20:54 PMNot all of it sucks :P . although a lot of the ones that do suck are played a lot up here for "Canadian content" because it's cheaper.

Do you ever watch French language TV?  Blows my mind how in a place with so many hotties how few of them show up on TV. 

:hmm: They show up in Quebec's tv plenty.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

celedhring

Been doing Oscar movie catchup. I have now seen all best movie nominees except Women Talking. My personal pick remains Everything Everywhere All at Once, because I love movies that manage to break stylistic ground while remaining accessible to wide audiences.

Honorable mention to The Fabelmans which is probably Spielberg's best flick since the 2010s (or even since Catch Me If You Can). Tar is also super-challenging and Blanchett's portrayal is one for the ages, but it's probably too much a difficult film to get the nod.

I just hope they don't give it to Top Gun  <_<

EDIT: Forgot I haven't seen Avatar either, but does that even count?

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on March 11, 2023, 05:12:52 AMBeen doing Oscar movie catchup. I have now seen all best movie nominees except Women Talking. My personal pick remains Everything Everywhere All at Once, because I love movies that manage to break stylistic ground while remaining accessible to wide audiences.

Honorable mention to The Fabelmans which is probably Spielberg's best flick since the 2010s (or even since Catch Me If You Can). Tar is also super-challenging and Blanchett's portrayal is one for the ages, but it's probably too much a difficult film to get the nod.

What did you think about The Banshees of Inisheerin? My parents went to watch it, and came back somehow taken back by it.

celedhring

Quote from: The Larch on March 11, 2023, 06:02:28 AM
Quote from: celedhring on March 11, 2023, 05:12:52 AMBeen doing Oscar movie catchup. I have now seen all best movie nominees except Women Talking. My personal pick remains Everything Everywhere All at Once, because I love movies that manage to break stylistic ground while remaining accessible to wide audiences.

What did you think about The Banshees of Inisheerin? My parents went to watch it, and came back somehow taken back by it.

Thought it was very good. But it has McDonagh's brand of black comedy that I can see people not enjoying. It gets very dark at times.

Josquius

Watching series 2 of Clarksons farm. The restaurant idea did seem to make a lot of sense. And true the show is only going to show it in a positive light.
But all those opposing it with one sensible women supporting....
Seems those opposing were mostly lib dems whilst the one supporting.
https://m.facebook.com/100063848501913/about/

Labour who a few months later lost her job.:(
██████
██████
██████

jimmy olsen

Everything Everywhere All at Once won almost every award that matters.

Best Picture, Director, Actress, Supporting Actress, Supporting Actor, Film Editing, and Original Screenplay

https://twitter.com/bubbaprog/status/1635124087562592257
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

celedhring

Shortround winning an Oscar is quite the incredible story  :lol:

Tbh, I thought there were more deserving candidates in the acting categories, but the Academy likes having sweeps from time to time.

EDIT: How many kids from the Goonies cast got an Oscar by now, btw?

EDIT2: Answering myself, he might be the first one? I'd have guessed at least Josh Brolin might have got one.

Josephus

Watched Everything etc. last night. Weird. Yeah, it's well filmed, well acted. but I struggled to make it to the end.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

The Larch

I suppose that the biggest upset was Michelle Yeoh taking the Best Actress award from Cate Blanchett.

Btw, I've heard a couple of reports on de-gendering the acting awards, and Jamie Lee Curtis actually mentioned it during her press interviews as well. Do you see that happening at some point?

celedhring

Quote from: The Larch on March 13, 2023, 06:16:47 AMI suppose that the biggest upset was Michelle Yeoh taking the Best Actress award from Cate Blanchett.

Btw, I've heard a couple of reports on de-gendering the acting awards, and Jamie Lee Curtis actually mentioned it during her press interviews as well. Do you see that happening at some point?

If they simply merged the categories, making them gender-neutral like the behind-the-camera ones, that would lead to less actors being awarded overall, which 1) would be a pity, given the central role actors play in motion pictures 2) diminishes the opportunities for diversity.

Music awards get away with it because they have a million subcategories for genres. I suppose movie awards could go the way of the Golden Globes with the comedy/drama thing, but I've personally always hated that.

I don't know if there are better proposals out there about how to carry out that in a way that works.

celedhring

A fun tidbit about the acting Oscars, although I guess it's not very relevant to this discussion, is that at first these awards were not given for a particular performance, but rather rewarded the best actor during the whole year. Back then it was common for actors to act in several movies in a single year.