News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Popularity Ruins Everything

Started by MadImmortalMan, March 09, 2023, 07:04:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Popular music sucks because people age out of what's popular and get cranky :D

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Josquius

Quote from: HVC on March 10, 2023, 03:41:27 PMPopular music sucks because people age out of what's popular and get cranky :D

[img]

So when was this golden age where the charts were dominated by music I'm into (indie) ?
Even at high points like the brit pop years and the 2000s it was still pretty fringey.
I distinctly remember hating club music and preferring stuff from before I was born even at 18.
██████
██████
██████

HVC

Quote from: Josquius on March 10, 2023, 03:44:33 PM
Quote from: HVC on March 10, 2023, 03:41:27 PMPopular music sucks because people age out of what's popular and get cranky :D

[img]

So when was this golden age where the charts were dominated by music I'm into (indie) ?
Even at high points like the brit pop years and the 2000s it was still pretty fringey.
I distinctly remember hating club music and preferring stuff from before I was born even at 18.

You're just naturally cantankerous :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

crazy canuck

So true

The Minsky Moment

When it comes to pop music, fads go in and out but the essentially stay the same.  Grey Fox mentioned The Wknd; his success isn't that complicated - he has some catchy tunes and a distinctive voice.  That formula always works, even if the precise instrumentation, arrangements, attire, choreography, and attitude change.

I'm not a huge fan of what today gets counted as the top of the charts; but the same held for the synth pop and hair bands of my youth. 

then again, I spend a lot of time listening to music created or recorded well before my birth, so I may not be representative of anything.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Eddie Teach

Nah, people just have bad taste. The popular music of our youth sucks too.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?