News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The NEW New Boardgames Thread

Started by CountDeMoney, April 21, 2011, 09:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bogh

Sooo...what's the verdict on EU? Worth the time investment?

Habbaku

Don't know yet. Will be playing Age I this weekend with a full table of 6.  :D
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

bogh

Quote from: Habbaku on February 14, 2023, 12:13:07 PMDon't know yet. Will be playing Age I this weekend with a full table of 6.  :D

Good luck!

Habbaku

Rally The Troops has their Nevsky module out now for anyone looking to play/learn the Levy & Campaign series:

https://rally-the-troops.com/nevsky

:)
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

Quote from: bogh on February 14, 2023, 04:12:03 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on February 14, 2023, 12:13:07 PMDon't know yet. Will be playing Age I this weekend with a full table of 6.  :D

Good luck!

We spent ~3 hours plugging through most of the first two Rounds. The game is very heavy, but no specific system is all that intricate. The worst is just the rules being a little spread-out--IE, the calculations for Trade Power and suchlike are cast across two different segments.

The game, however, started to flow very quickly once everyone got out of their initial AP phase of "what the fuck do I do with all this?" the sandbox environment and everyone enjoyed what they were able to do and the choices they had.

All six of us plan on starting a proper game (probably a 2-Age scenario) within the month.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

bogh

Neat. Still not sure I'll invest my precious and scarce playtime into it, but it does sound intriguing.

The Brain

Quote from: The Brain on February 14, 2023, 09:10:47 AMSo I got the minis for The Thing: The Boardgame (might be fun to paint), and I also got the boardgame (my gaming group might actually play this), but as I unboxed the stuff there was a huge WTF moment. There's no Childs in the game! One of the most important characters, not there! And ergo no Childs model. Googling suggests that he's locked away in stretch goals or something. Awesome choice there! :rolleyes:

A Set 2 became available, and I picked it up. So now I have Childs and Fuchs and the rest. :)
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

I got an email from GMT saying they've now charged my credit card for Clash of Sovereigns. :w00t:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Habbaku

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Darth Wagtaros

Going to Pax East this weekend. Hoping there are some board games there.
PDH!

Habbaku

Looks like a Cyberboard module for EU: Price of Power was finished recently and should be available soon. PBEM, here I come.  :)

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Solmyr

Darth Wagtaros

Nearly completed Risk Legacy.

Charterstone next or Gloomhaven?
PDH!

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

celedhring

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on May 06, 2023, 01:43:29 PMNearly completed Risk Legacy.

Charterstone next or Gloomhaven?

First, the answer to these questions is always Gloomhaven.

After that, they're very different experiences. Gloomhaven is a dungeon crawler (with heavy brain puzzle elements which I love) that will certainly suck much more time of your life, while Charterstone is easier to get on the table and you'll be able to complete the campaign within your lifetime, if that's something you want.

But it should be Gloomhaven.

(Gotta say that I wasn't that much of a fan of Charterstone, it was an "interesting ideas, meh implementation" game for me).