News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The NEW New Boardgames Thread

Started by CountDeMoney, April 21, 2011, 09:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

Quote from: Valmy on January 30, 2023, 05:22:19 PMA board game based on a video game based on a board game. Woah.

https://youtu.be/Eu0Vucn7xww

Can't wait for the console version.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

celedhring

Quote from: Valmy on January 30, 2023, 05:22:19 PMA board game based on a video game based on a board game. Woah.

Same happened to Civilization.

bogh

Quote from: Habbaku on January 30, 2023, 05:04:44 PMComing full-circle, I of course picked up Europa Universalis: The Price of Power.

I expect to get it played either this week or in a couple of weeks. It's a very piece-heavy game, to say the least.

A gaming buddy picked it up. I am a bit reluctant to try it, so would appreciate your review post play.

Syt

Looking at the images at https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/254127/europa-universalis-price-power it seems like setting this up takes longer than most EU4 MP groups last. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

So very similar to the original EU boardgame  :lol:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Habbaku

Quote from: Syt on January 31, 2023, 01:52:44 PMLooking at the images at https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/254127/europa-universalis-price-power it seems like setting this up takes longer than most EU4 MP groups last. :P

Naw, setup is fairly straightforward. Each player places the pieces on their setup cards and you have to construct a community event deck and tech deck. It's the gameplay itself that might be more of a slog if you have literally anyone with AP, as the game is very, very sandboxy.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Maladict

Sandboxy, that's disappointing. I'll stick with HIS/VQ then.

Tamas

Yeah that doesn't sound too good, actually.

Habbaku

Not sure what you guys were expecting. EU hasn't attempted to be a simulation since EU2.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Tamas

Yeah but from boardgames I am looking for narrative, not worker placement.

The Brain

Quote from: Tamas on February 01, 2023, 12:34:35 PMYeah but from boardgames I am looking for narrative, not worker placement.

Euro card revoked. :angry:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Habbaku

Quote from: Tamas on February 01, 2023, 12:34:35 PMYeah but from boardgames I am looking for narrative, not worker placement.

It's not worker placement. You should probably look at the game.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Tamas

Quote from: Habbaku on February 01, 2023, 09:28:37 PM

It's not worker placement. You should probably look at the game.

I will. Sorry, meeples make me twitchy.  :D

The Brain

So I got the minis for The Thing: The Boardgame (might be fun to paint), and I also got the boardgame (my gaming group might actually play this), but as I unboxed the stuff there was a huge WTF moment. There's no Childs in the game! One of the most important characters, not there! And ergo no Childs model. Googling suggests that he's locked away in stretch goals or something. Awesome choice there! :rolleyes:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.