What does a BIDEN Presidency look like?

Started by Caliga, November 07, 2020, 12:07:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: mongers on August 02, 2022, 05:46:23 PMWeird that no one was mentioned the head of AQ been killed by a likely CIA drone strike in Kabul.

I didn't know AQ was still a going concern until I saw that news.

US must still have intelligence assets in Afghanistan, which is weird to think about.

Didn't Trump cut a deal with the Taliban that they wouldn't host terrorist groups?  Or was that Joe?

viper37

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 02, 2022, 05:53:51 PMDidn't Trump cut a deal with the Taliban that they wouldn't host terrorist groups?  Or was that Joe?
Trump is the one that decided to pull out of there, Joe simply executed it.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

The Brain

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 02, 2022, 05:53:51 PMDidn't Trump cut a deal with the Taliban that they wouldn't host terrorist groups?  Or was that Joe?

What would the US do if they did?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: alfred russel on August 02, 2022, 03:48:16 PM
Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on August 02, 2022, 10:56:29 AMAgain, Protestant churches are largely not informing Republican policy. Republican policy is being driven by what issues animate the "riled up base", which largely corresponds to cultural conservatives, and overlaps heavily with "people who vote in Republican primaries."

Neither conservative institutions like the protestant churches or "people who vote in republican primaries" are in favor of contraceptive bans. Where is this going to come from? Are we just going to assume that anything that owns the libs is liable to be enacted? Burqas may be mandated because oh boy would democrats hate that!

Except again--you don't need to pass a law if one is already on the books, what you need instead is public pressure sufficient to push a law repealing an extant law. And since there is, in fact, a contingent of conservative people (not just Catholics) who would likely be fine with pre-Griswold birth control restrictions, there is going to be some friction to push against to pass such a repeal. That means it probably won't be a priority, and possibly will be seen as undesirable. I'll note some of these states could have struck these dormant laws off their books at any point in the last 50 years, and haven't.

alfred russel

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on August 02, 2022, 10:13:27 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on August 02, 2022, 03:48:16 PM
Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on August 02, 2022, 10:56:29 AMAgain, Protestant churches are largely not informing Republican policy. Republican policy is being driven by what issues animate the "riled up base", which largely corresponds to cultural conservatives, and overlaps heavily with "people who vote in Republican primaries."

Neither conservative institutions like the protestant churches or "people who vote in republican primaries" are in favor of contraceptive bans. Where is this going to come from? Are we just going to assume that anything that owns the libs is liable to be enacted? Burqas may be mandated because oh boy would democrats hate that!

Except again--you don't need to pass a law if one is already on the books, what you need instead is public pressure sufficient to push a law repealing an extant law. And since there is, in fact, a contingent of conservative people (not just Catholics) who would likely be fine with pre-Griswold birth control restrictions, there is going to be some friction to push against to pass such a repeal. That means it probably won't be a priority, and possibly will be seen as undesirable. I'll note some of these states could have struck these dormant laws off their books at any point in the last 50 years, and haven't.

And there would be an absolute shitstorm to get rid of contraceptive bans. That wouldn't just be from the 95% plus of the population that use contraceptives, that would also be from conservative churches that are a major pillar of the republican party in the states you are talking about.

There was just a vote in Kansas yesterday to give the authority to the legislature to regulate abortion. It got blown the fuck out by 19 points. The voters there skewed republican by about 20 points. Abortion bans are an extremely tough sell in even conservative states and this is going to radioactive to the republican party...contraception is on a radically different level. I didn't search for polling on this but I'd guess that it is significantly less popular than ideas like seceding and restoring the confederacy.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

OttoVonBismarck

Except again--a lot of the pre-Griswold laws allowed married women who already had children to easily get birth control. Pre-Griswold laws generally were not blanket bans on using the birth control pill, they were largely morally conservative regulations that, in essence, attempted to allow married women who already had children to use the pills for family planning without allowing childless women that same freedom. The conservative Protestants that you are now an expert on because you've been near a South Carolina church a few times, almost certainly don't give two fucks about an unmarried woman's liberty to fuck dudes and not get pregnant. Most of the pre-Griswold laws were targeted at those women, who are already part of the "undesirables" when it comes to conservative Christians.

alfred russel

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on August 03, 2022, 08:04:34 AMExcept again--a lot of the pre-Griswold laws allowed married women who already had children to easily get birth control. Pre-Griswold laws generally were not blanket bans on using the birth control pill, they were largely morally conservative regulations that, in essence, attempted to allow married women who already had children to use the pills for family planning without allowing childless women that same freedom. The conservative Protestants that you are now an expert on because you've been near a South Carolina church a few times, almost certainly don't give two fucks about an unmarried woman's liberty to fuck dudes and not get pregnant. Most of the pre-Griswold laws were targeted at those women, who are already part of the "undesirables" when it comes to conservative Christians.

Delusional.

Here is the Alabama Public Health Department website...

https://www.alabamapublichealth.gov/FamilyPlanning/

They have birth control on the front page and statements such as:

"Our goal is to prevent unintended pregnancies through education and contraceptive services, allowing for the planning and timing of pregnancies." and "One style doesn't fit all. Especially when it comes to birth control. Let us help find a method that works for you!"

and even:

"What if I stopped using the pills and
had unprotected sex?
Take Emergency Contraception right away. Emergency
contraception can prevent pregnancy up to 5 days after
sex, and it works better the sooner you take it. You can
get ECPs at the drug store without a prescription or at
your county health department's family planning clinic
or doctor's office"

None of this stuff is required by a supreme court decision. it is the state of alabama choosing to offer these programs to its citizens. Hardly seems like a place that would be banning them if they could.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Berkut

Well, I feel better already. Everything is going to be fine, and nobody should be concerned at all about government restricting more women's rights under this Supreme Court, because we can and should have great faith in the rationality and reasonableness of radical evangelical Christians when it comes to their views on women's sexual freedom.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

alfred russel

Quote from: Berkut on August 03, 2022, 09:02:24 AMWell, I feel better already. Everything is going to be fine, and nobody should be concerned at all about government restricting more women's rights under this Supreme Court, because we can and should have great faith in the rationality and reasonableness of radical evangelical Christians when it comes to their views on women's sexual freedom.

I strongly disagree.

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Berkut on August 03, 2022, 09:02:24 AMWell, I feel better already. Everything is going to be fine, and nobody should be concerned at all about government restricting more women's rights under this Supreme Court, because we can and should have great faith in the rationality and reasonableness of radical evangelical Christians when it comes to their views on women's sexual freedom.

Luckily we have a quote from the Alabama Public Health Department (which has no legislative power, and cannot enact policy without appropriate legislation), so we're all fine.

crazy canuck

AR, you neglected to quote the sentence that appears immediately before the sentence you did quote:

"The Family Planning Program promotes the well being of families, responsible behavior, and healthy mothers and babies."

It was likely an accident of cutting and pasting.

You also neglected to quote the bit that comes immediately after the sentence you quoted:

"There are 81 clinics throughout Alabama offering family planning services."

Also likely an error in your cutting and pasting skills.

If you read the whole of the description on the website (It doesn't take long, its just a few short paragraphs) I am sure you will agree that Otto was not being delusional but accurately describing both what is now in place and what is likely to come.

Eddie Teach

Remember, just because something could happen doesn't mean it will.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Zoupa

Quote from: Eddie Teach on August 03, 2022, 01:51:22 PMRemember, just because something could happen doesn't mean it will.

Thank you for that amazing insight.

garbon

Quote from: Zoupa on August 03, 2022, 03:08:29 PM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on August 03, 2022, 01:51:22 PMRemember, just because something could happen doesn't mean it will.

Thank you for that amazing insight.

You are most welcome.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.