And we're back!

Main Menu

Finland, Sweden + NATO

Started by Jacob, April 13, 2022, 12:42:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: The Larch on May 10, 2022, 06:05:28 PM
Quote from: grumbler on May 10, 2022, 05:54:40 PM
Quote from: The Larch on May 10, 2022, 12:05:26 PMI assume he means all the commie dictatorships that are labelled "Democratic People's Republic of Whatever".

:grr: We are the Peoples' Democratic Republic of Whatever!

Splitters!  :P

I thought we were the Popular Democratic Republic.  :Embarrass:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Josquius

So the UK signing mutual defence with Sweden... Might this reduce the odds of full NATO membership?
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

Quote from: Josquius on May 11, 2022, 09:26:34 AMSo the UK signing mutual defence with Sweden... Might this reduce the odds of full NATO membership?

Looks to me like the security guarantees intended to bridge the gap until NATO membership.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Solmyr

For reference, this is a Finnish meme of "torille" ("to the market square"), based on the fact that Finns get drunk and head out to the central Market Square whenever something really great happens (like beating Sweden in ice hockey world championships). Often they also get naked and swim in the fountain there. Normally this meme has the guy waving the Finnish flag. :D

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Threviel

Let's just hope our Social Democrats don't go full retard after this...

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Threviel on May 12, 2022, 04:56:36 AMLet's just hope our Social Democrats don't go full retard after this...

tell them it is time to be Finlandized.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

CountDeMoney

Sauli and Sanna are great names.  Great mob nicknames, from across the river.  Sauli and Sanna, they're made guys with the Hoboken crew.

Jacob

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 12, 2022, 10:00:47 AM
Quote from: Threviel on May 12, 2022, 04:56:36 AMLet's just hope our Social Democrats don't go full retard after this...

tell them it is time to be Finlandized.

:D

Sheilbh

Such an impressive and clear statement of why the shift from Finland's President:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhLNBxpo8zY

I imagine being a clear communicator is all the more important when you live next to Putin because I always get the sense he lives in exploiting and pushing at grey or uncertain areas.
Let's bomb Russia!

Threviel

The Swedish government is right now presenting their report on Nato membership right now. 6 out of 8 parties are behind a Nato membership (the greens and the leftist against).

So, it very much seems that the Social Democrats are not going full retard.

Josquius

Quote from: Threviel on May 13, 2022, 04:22:02 AMThe Swedish government is right now presenting their report on Nato membership right now. 6 out of 8 parties are behind a Nato membership (the greens and the leftist against).

The far right not against going up against their mates in Russia?
██████
██████
██████

Threviel

Quote from: Josquius on May 13, 2022, 04:46:16 AM
Quote from: Threviel on May 13, 2022, 04:22:02 AMThe Swedish government is right now presenting their report on Nato membership right now. 6 out of 8 parties are behind a Nato membership (the greens and the leftist against).

The far right not against going up against their mates in Russia?

They are first and foremost populists and you don't win votes right now by seeming friendly to Russia. Even so they are on the don't care side of politics, their vote doesn't matter one way or another.