News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Electric cars

Started by Threviel, October 31, 2021, 01:18:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Threviel

https://waitbutwhy.com/2015/05/elon-musk-the-worlds-raddest-man.html has a long series of blog posts on Musk and his endavours. It's old by now, but when I read it back in the day I was totally convinced on the advantages of an electric car. It's taken until now for them to get down enough in price to actually consider one.

This was before Musk went a bit on the insane side.

Berkut

We could use a lot more insane people, apparently.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

HVC

Quote from: Berkut on October 31, 2021, 10:17:08 AM
You should definitely make sure to consider the persona of the person who manages the company you purchase a new car from, for sure.

Buy any My Pillow's lately? :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Berkut

Quote from: HVC on October 31, 2021, 01:48:24 PM
Quote from: Berkut on October 31, 2021, 10:17:08 AM
You should definitely make sure to consider the persona of the person who manages the company you purchase a new car from, for sure.

Buy any My Pillow's lately? :P

Cannot say that I have.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Admiral Yi

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Threviel on October 31, 2021, 09:41:01 AM
Ioniq also looks nice, but is also in the 50k range rather than the 40k range.

https://alltomelbil.se/jamfor-elbilar/ are the available cars in Sweden. Sorting by "Pris/Räckvidd" sorts by price/range, how many SEK you have to spend for every km of range. 10 SEK is almost exactly 1€. The competition seems to be between Kona, E-soul and ZS EV.

Here, in Quebec, the cheaper all electric cars are the VW e-golf followed by the Chevy Bolt. Both sell for around 26k$ after 13k in governments rebates.

mongers

Coincidentally, I'm seriously considering an electric vehicle.. an electric bike.

What's putting me the idea isn't the technology, it's nearly there in terms of performance, but given the cost it, the buying experience will be akin to getting a vehicle rather than just a bicycle.   :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 31, 2021, 07:00:16 PM

https://alltomelbil.se/jamfor-elbilar/ are the available cars in Sweden. Sorting by "Pris/Räckvidd" sorts by price/range, how many SEK you have to spend for every km of range. 10 SEK is almost exactly 1€. The competition seems to be between Kona, E-soul and ZS EV.

Here, in Quebec, the cheaper all electric cars are the VW e-golf followed by the Chevy Bolt. Both sell for around 26k$ after 13k in governments rebates.
You forgot that 14,975% sales tax.
GM's site gives me 770$/month with taxes and interests for 5 years.  You're in the range of a luxury car, for something very cheaply built.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Zanza

Quote from: mongers on October 31, 2021, 07:27:41 PM
Coincidentally, I'm seriously considering an electric vehicle.. an electric bike.

What's putting me the idea isn't the technology, it's nearly there in terms of performance, but given the cost it, the buying experience will be akin to getting a vehicle rather than just a bicycle.   :bowler:
How is the technology for electric bikes "not there in terms of performance "?

Syt

I'm a very unsporty person, but I was doing fine taking an electric bike through the Styrian hills for hours with no issues. Granted, the bike model cost around 2000 EUR (according to the guys we rented from), but that was a few years ago, so prices might be different.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Grey Fox

Quote from: viper37 on October 31, 2021, 07:35:03 PM

GM's site gives me 770$/month with taxes and interests for 5 years.  You're in the range of a luxury car, for something very cheaply built.

Got my figured from www.roulonselectrique.ca They are low, since they don't include anything like taxes, fees or options. Annoying. :hmm:

Josquius

I planned to get one last year but they were impossible to get. Came close again in summer but job switching interrupted this.
They're... OK. I can't help but feel a bit cheated that in the UK they can't go fully automated - when I test rode one I purposefully stopped on a steep hill and tried to get going again. It was just as much a disaster as doing this on a normal bike.
I definitely felt a difference on reasonably flat terrain but it's subtle. The price is high, £2000 even for the cheapest.
██████
██████
██████

Gups

Quote from: Tyr on November 01, 2021, 06:38:57 AM

I planned to get one last year but they were impossible to get. Came close again in summer but job switching interrupted this.
They're... OK. I can't help but feel a bit cheated that in the UK they can't go fully automated - when I test rode one I purposefully stopped on a steep hill and tried to get going again. It was just as much a disaster as doing this on a normal bike.
I definitely felt a difference on reasonably flat terrain but it's subtle. The price is high, £2000 even for the cheapest.

You can get electric bikes for much less than that, but will need to spend £1,000 for anything half decent. Carrera Subway is meant to be the best at that price point.

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 01, 2021, 05:56:56 AM
Quote from: viper37 on October 31, 2021, 07:35:03 PM

Got my figured from www.roulonselectrique.ca They are low, since they don't include anything like taxes, fees or options. Annoying. :hmm:
Financing is around 5-7% these days.  That's a lot compared to the 0%-2% rates of a few years ago.

I think, maybe, the GM site does not factor in the govt help in their monthly price, it seems quite high.  In any case, it's still a lot of money for a small car.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.