News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Victoria 3

Started by Syt, May 21, 2021, 01:46:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

If they can pull that off, I would be very happy.

Valmy

I kind of wish they did 1822 to 1935 just to make it continuous with the other games but hey just happy to see another entry in the series.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Minsky Moment

I though Victoria 2 played quite well overall.  It was too easy to boost literacy in countries like Russia or the OE.  You could create an effective bureaucracy in a couple decades with some national focuses, throw some cash at education spending and watch it rise.  In reality those states struggled mightily to put together even a minimally functional bureaucracy, and there were many reasons why peasant education was not a priority.  Unfortunately this is an area where P-dox tends to give in to the fanbase demands for more player freedom of action, at the expense of realism.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on May 21, 2021, 02:29:18 PM
Martin says on the panel that the focus is on society management, and that their goal was that war shouldn't be the driving factor and not creating another map builder. That players should be able to play through 100 years without fighting a single war and still have a good time. Mikael says military will still be important, e.g. to help with diplomacy and a threat of war will be there, but anything you can get through war should be attainable through diplomacy.

Seems like a tall order considering the general Paradox fanbase, and I'm curious if they can pull it off.

Yeah the general unpleasantness of wars in Vicky I think was a turnoff to many in the general fanbase. Not only is it a drain on your economy and your POPs but it can create political uncertainty and instability, all things Vicky players hate.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Josquius

Wars as a bad thing was a pretty good and accurate part of the game.
Hopefully they'll make colonising Africa a loss making venture.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

I hope they find a better way for influencing minors and adding them to your sphere of influence. The constant whack-a-mole against other nations was just tedious.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Quote from: Tyr on May 21, 2021, 03:20:19 PM
Wars as a bad thing was a pretty good and accurate part of the game.

It should be a trade off between prestige and economic benefit.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Minsky Moment

I thought Victoria 2 worked pretty well in that regard - it gave strong incentives to fight short, quick, and decisive wars.  It didn't handle the ACW particularly well but I'd prefer that outcome to focusing the game mechanics on the ACW.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

Quote from: Tyr on May 21, 2021, 03:20:19 PM

Well it already kind of is in V2, but you do it for the prestige. That sweet sweet prestige.

Syt

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 21, 2021, 03:25:02 PM
I thought Victoria 2 worked pretty well in that regard - it gave strong incentives to fight short, quick, and decisive wars.  It didn't handle the ACW particularly well but I'd prefer that outcome to focusing the game mechanics on the ACW.

Most games don't handle the ACW well. Modeling the indecisiveness, incompetence, and learning process of fighting the war is difficult for players who have the benefit of hindsight.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Valmy

Interesting how they have the political parties being social groups.

Syt

The way I understood it, these are interest groups, with pop affiliation depending on pop type, literacy, laws, etc. I assume that instead of parties it's meant to represent which interest groups are represented in government. Removing parties feels like losing flavor, though.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Tamas

Quote from: Syt on May 21, 2021, 03:51:20 PM
The way I understood it, these are interest groups, with pop affiliation depending on pop type, literacy, laws, etc. I assume that instead of parties it's meant to represent which interest groups are represented in government. Removing parties feels like losing flavor, though.

For sure but interest groups, as such, are more important. If only one of these can be had to keep the game playable, it should be interest groups.

e.g. You look at the House of Commons you learn exactly zero about the political issues driving British people.

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

The Minsky Moment

Yes, but..

the organization and structure of political parties within a political system matters.  And politics is more about identity into socio-economic categories - for example, section in America, or religion or regional identity in Germany.  The "intelligentsia" of 19th century France captures a fairly broad range of political views to take another example.  A political system that makes  farmers in Massachusetts in the same political "party" as farmers in Mississippi or Texas is going to have problems.
--Joan Robinson