News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Star Wars Megathread

Started by Barrister, November 13, 2019, 12:54:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

Quote from: Barrister on November 13, 2019, 04:30:43 PM
Yeah, I'm broadly anti-pirate, but if there's no legitimate way to purchase a piece of media I'd pirate away without feeling bad about it.

:o

Is this actually the first time you endore something illegal in the forum? What about your impeccable Lawful Good alignment?

Habbaku

It would not be Good if the Law were unjust, would it?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

FunkMonk

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 13, 2019, 04:34:50 PM
I haven't seen it yet, but think it's already worth however much money they spent for this interview with Werner Herzog:
QuoteFavreau has made some highly successful films recently; did you feel an element of pressure working with him?
I do not know what other films he has made.

You don't?
No.

He made "The Lion King" earlier this year with Beyonce and Donald Glover.
Well I like "The Lion King," but the animated version 30 years back or so. That was a wonderful film, the music was particularly great, Hans Zimmer's score.
[...]

Do you watch any television?
I do, I watch the news from different sources. Sometimes I see things that are completely against my cultural nature. I was raised with Latin and Ancient Greek and poetry from Greek antiquity, but sometimes, just to see the world I live in, I watch "WrestleMania."
[...]

So you've been watching "Keeping Up With the Kardashians?"
I'm starting to discover it. I'm curious; that's my guiding principle.
[...]

What's the next project you're working on?
I have a documentary on meteorites and the cultural implications they have, which I'm currently shooting. It's in the vein of the volcano film I made, "Into the Inferno," which is currently streaming on Netflix.

In that case, you have extra incentive to pay for some more streaming platforms.
You're right. I have no choice but to sign up for Disney Plus and Netflix. I shall go do that now.

Hell yes  :lol:

Sign that man up for more Star Wars please, Disney.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

ulmont

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 13, 2019, 10:51:03 AM
SW Rebels is pretty awesome. My son & I watched the first 3 season together.

Can you do something for me BB? Check on Disney+ if the new stuff is available in French?

The Mandalorian at least is.  In fact it claims to have quite a few languages.  My memory is that the Clone Wars was similarly well translated.

Barrister

Quote from: The Larch on November 13, 2019, 04:54:04 PM
Yeah, I'm broadly anti-pirate, but if there's no legitimate way to purchase a piece of media I'd pirate away without feeling bad about it.

:o

Is this actually the first time you endore something illegal in the forum? What about your impeccable Lawful Good alignment?

I'm lawful good, not Lawful Neutral.  :cool:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

HVC

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 13, 2019, 04:34:50 PM
I haven't seen it yet, but think it's already worth however much money they spent for this interview with Werner Herzog:

So... autistic?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

celedhring

Good to know I won't be prosecuted in Canada!  :D :P

dps

Quote from: celedhring on November 14, 2019, 02:50:41 AM

Good to know I won't be prosecuted in Canada!  :D :P

No need to worry, as long a BB is the one prosecuting you;  he never wins a case anyway.

Syt

Quote from: Barrister on November 13, 2019, 12:54:52 AMThe boys and I always watch a cartoon as they get ready for bed.  So with Disney+, we watch the first episode of Star Wars Rebels.  Andrew was entranced.  I haven't watched this show before, thought it was pretty good.

The first season is the weakest. It has its share of kid friendly silliness. From the end of season 1 it picks up, and seasons 3 and 4 are IMHO very good.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 13, 2019, 10:41:23 AM
Got Disney+ free with my Verizon sub
1st ep was OK.  Basically a Clint Eastwood/Leone Western rip-off with Star Wars type characters instead of overdubbed Italians pretending to be cowboys.

I've watched ... a preview :goodboy: of Ep. 1 and agree, though I liked it a lot. But I like spaghetti westerns, and this was basically what I was hoping for.

I thought the Blurrg reminded me of the Guar of Morrowind, so I looked them up. Turns out they first showed up in Ewoks - Battle for Endor and were canonized in the Clone Wars series: https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Blurrg
:lol:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Maladict

Quote from: Habbaku on November 13, 2019, 04:15:40 PM

Is it just not available in Spain at the moment?

Looks like it's limited to the US and Canada. And the Netherlands, for some reason.
I took a look, don't think there's anything I'd be interested in tbh.

Syt

Quote from: The Larch on November 13, 2019, 11:34:05 AM
Just heard that there's a *new* edit of the "Han shot Greedo first" scene from A New Hope.  :wacko:

https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-han-shot-first-scene-from-star-wars-has-been-change-1839802913

TL;DR: The versions on Disney+ are from a remaster that Lucas was preparing but wasn't released so far.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Quote from: Barrister on November 13, 2019, 12:54:52 AM
Couldn't find an appropriate thread, so thought I'd start a new one. Besides we have Episode 9 coming soon.

We had this one: http://languish.org/forums/index.php/topic,13608.0.html :P ;)
—Stephen Jay Gould

Malthus

I will never understand why companies use different release dates in different nations, particularly for media with active fandoms. Don't they even realize this is a direct encouragement to piracy?

If there's a fandom, staggering the release dates means that part of the fandom is simply excluded from the whole point of being a fan - shared excitement, theories, fan art, all the rest will have passed them by, by the time the show is legally available to them (assuming it ever is). On the other hand ... if they are fans they will have lots of online friends able to get them links to see the show. The result: piracy proliferates.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

celedhring

AFAIK Disney has had trouble getting back the online rights for a lot of their stuff (Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars) in many countries, so it has held on launching Disney+ until they can get most of their content back. For example in Spain most of Disney stuff is on Netflix, and the deal expires some time in 2020.