Crusader Kings III

Started by Syt, October 19, 2019, 04:02:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Can you eat on the insane root?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Larch

Quote from: Valmy on October 24, 2019, 03:05:10 PM
Do they just mean I can be a pagan or like a sold my soul to satan type?

QuoteCrusader Kings 3 does, however, have a Witch trait, and different religions have different views on Witchcraft. This is meant to represent more historical practices that were seen as Witchcraft, such as herbalism and fortune-telling. There will be some events related to it, but it isn't meant to imply that your character has actual, supernatural powers like some of the crazier events in Crusader Kings 2 did.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on October 24, 2019, 12:29:54 PM
Wait they are taking that feature away?

Well fuck it, I will just stick to CK2. I spent enough damn money on it anyway.

Every time they tweak the map in an update, they have to do a shit ton of research and stuff and they rather vocally hate it.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Quote from: garbon on October 24, 2019, 01:19:06 PM
I'll admit I never really used it.

I think I only ever used it for the Komnenian restoration, and the last Karling.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

dps

Neither, really.  In game terms, they are referring to herbalists and other types of traditional healers as "witches", and different religions will have different reactions to the "witches".  Kind of makes sense, I guess, since from what I understand, a lot of the people who were victims of witch hunts were traditional healers of some stripe or the other.

EDIT:  well, fuck.  Should know better than to reply before I've read the whole thread. 

garbon

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 25, 2019, 12:58:29 AM

Every time they tweak the map in an update, they have to do a shit ton of research and stuff and they rather vocally hate it.

Which is an odd position for those creating a history game of sorts to take.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Larch

Quote from: garbon on October 25, 2019, 02:07:43 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 25, 2019, 12:58:29 AM

Which is an odd position for those creating a history game of sorts to take.

I kinda see their point, the more complex the game becomes the more research they have to put into it and at some point it's just not worth the effort, even more if it's an option few users employ, they're game designers, not medieval historians. Moreover, if they keep pushing the game's borders further and further (they mention expanding the map to Central Africa and India for CKIII, and then there'll be further expansions), I just don't want to imagine the amount of work it entails to have the proper set up for every single starting date possible.

dps

I think the real key is that the feedback they get suggests that almost no one uses the feature anyway.  I think it's a cool feature and I hate to see it go away, but I basically just play from the earliest date anyway, so I kind of illustrate their point that it's a waste of time.

The Larch

I hope it'll be replaced by having a wide variety of possible starting dates for particular scenarios spread apart during the covered timeframe, but somebody's favourite event will always be left out.

garbon

Oddly, they don't seem to do all that much proper research. They rely a lot on cribbing from mods/bringing modders in to assist.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Valmy

Quote from: dps on October 25, 2019, 01:07:08 AM

Neither, really.  In game terms, they are referring to herbalists and other types of traditional healers as "witches", and different religions will have different reactions to the "witches".  Kind of makes sense, I guess, since from what I understand, a lot of the people who were victims of witch hunts were traditional healers of some stripe or the other.

EDIT:  well, fuck.  Should know better than to reply before I've read the whole thread. 

I doubt the witch hunts had any connection at all to anything substantial. The big witch hunting craze took place outside of this era anyway.

Quote from: garbon on October 25, 2019, 04:51:32 AM
Oddly, they don't seem to do all that much proper research. They rely a lot on cribbing from mods/bringing modders in to assist.

Not that garbon is bitter or anything -_-
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

I haven't had a mod out in years. :P

Josephus

For all the money they make, they can probably afford to hire a history grad/nerd, who can work fulltime doing this research for both CK and EU.

I admit I never use the alternative start dates in CK, but do quite frequently in EU.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011