Real RPGs, none of that new fangled computer bullshit

Started by CountDeMoney, June 11, 2017, 10:27:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 14, 2017, 04:48:55 PM
Quote from: The Brain on June 14, 2017, 04:21:16 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on June 13, 2017, 06:52:08 PM
Also, the Fellowship of the Ring board game, which I recall being based on the MERP system (it was made by ICE, after all), was freakin awesome.

It was a great game, played it a lot.

Some of those ICE MERP modules go for a gold mine these days.
I've managed to... acquire most of them in .pdf format.  :pirate
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Delirium

We have a group of ~45 year-olds meeting on an irregular basis, 1d3 times a month. Cthulhu, Star Wars, some old-school fantasy or sci-fi. Lately I've developed an itch to play either Gamma World or Twilight 2000 (one of the really old editions, of course). Don't know why really.
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on June 15, 2017, 01:06:51 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 14, 2017, 04:48:55 PM
Some of those ICE MERP modules go for a gold mine these days.
I've managed to... acquire most of them in .pdf format.  :pirate

Not the same. 

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Delirium on July 23, 2017, 10:37:56 AM
Lately I've developed an itch to play either Gamma World or Twilight 2000 (one of the really old editions, of course). Don't know why really.

Probably because a post-apocalyptic world is more possible now than ever before. #BiglyArmageddon :)

The Brain

Quote from: Delirium on July 23, 2017, 10:37:56 AM
We have a group of ~45 year-olds meeting on an irregular basis, 1d3 times a month. Cthulhu, Star Wars, some old-school fantasy or sci-fi. Lately I've developed an itch to play either Gamma World or Twilight 2000 (one of the really old editions, of course). Don't know why really.

How do you get old farts together that often?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Brain on July 23, 2017, 11:28:52 AM
How do you get old farts together that often?

There's a certain age bracket reached where, once guys have met women, produced children and become occupied with them accordingly, they actively attempt to get away from them as much as possible. 

That's why all the most successful traveling salesmen and consultants are middle-aged.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Delirium

That is correct, guys are dying to get away from the house from time to time.
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

Sophie Scholl

Humble Bundle of Warhammer RPG books!  I already own just about all of them, but I think I might nab it anyway to shore up the collection.

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/warhammer-rpg-books
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Jacob

I think I own all of them except maybe three... and I'm still tempted.

Looking forward to both of the upcoming Warhammer RPGs from Cubicle 7.

Habbaku

I'm looking forward to the next iteration in the Pendragon "series":

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/nocturnalmedia/paladin-warriors-of-charlemagne

QuoteSet in medieval Europe, PALADIN weaves together the historical Carolingian events and the medieval epics of The Matter of France into a single coherent chronology! 

In PALADIN the players play young Frankish squires or knights in the service of one of Charlemagne's powerful vassals. By going on adventures they will acquire glory and riches, become lords of their own lands, build castles and found their own family. 

Hopefully, the road to fame will lead to the ultimate goal: becoming one of the legendary paladins themselves, along the likes of Roland, Ogier the Dane, Renaud, Oliver, William Shortnose, and others!
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Scipio

What is the easiest system for entry-level gaming these days? D&D? Something else? I'm way out of touch and could use a recommendation.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

The Brain

Quote from: Scipio on September 21, 2017, 12:20:31 PM
What is the easiest system for entry-level gaming these days? D&D? Something else? I'm way out of touch and could use a recommendation.

I would avoid D&D on account of it sucking.

At least in Sweden there's a bit of a wave of new simple entry-level RPGs, many of them with a back-to-the-dungeon theme (as opposed to the "let's tell a story, no rules!!!11" crap of the early 2000s). I don't remember which ones are in English, since I'm not in the market for entry-level stuff.

Barrister

I dunno, I think if you actually want to buy a game with the intention of playing it with other people your best bet is probably some form of D&D.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Brain

I just got delivery of a fuckton of books for the new Conan RPG. Got some reading to do...