What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Hamilcar on November 09, 2016, 01:42:53 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 09, 2016, 01:35:42 AM
Quote from: Hamilcar on November 09, 2016, 01:33:28 AM
How much can the Dems in the Senate block by filibuster?

Some until they change the rules to eliminate it.

You think the "nuclear option" is actually on the table?

President Trump won't put up with that crap.  And we all know going nuclear is no problem for him.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Hamilcar

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 09, 2016, 02:29:26 AM
Quote from: Hamilcar on November 09, 2016, 01:42:53 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 09, 2016, 01:35:42 AM
Quote from: Hamilcar on November 09, 2016, 01:33:28 AM
How much can the Dems in the Senate block by filibuster?

Some until they change the rules to eliminate it.

You think the "nuclear option" is actually on the table?

President Trump won't put up with that crap.  And we all know going nuclear is no problem for him.

Ah, but the senate is supposed to be more longer-term thinking. Why would they surrender such a valuable weapon to the whims of someone who will be gone in four years?

Or so I hope....

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 09, 2016, 01:56:31 AM
QuoteTrump aides are organizing what one Republican close to the campaign calls the First Day Project. "Trump spends several hours signing papers—and erases the Obama Presidency," he said. Stephen Moore, an official campaign adviser who is a senior fellow at the Heritage Foundation, explained, "We want to identify maybe twenty-five executive orders that Trump could sign literally the first day in office."

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2016/09/26/president-trumps-first-term

No hyprocrisy is too great for America's leading Thinkless Tank
http://www.heritage.org/research/reports/2014/02/an-executive-unbound-the-obama-administrations-unilateral-actions
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Hamilcar on November 09, 2016, 02:32:39 AM
Ah, but the senate is supposed to be more longer-term thinking. Why would they surrender such a valuable weapon to the whims of someone who will be gone in four years?

Or so I hope....

Because we get tired of winning so much?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DGuller

There is only one word for this night:  unfathomable.  I just can't imagine a scenario in which GOP isn't going to inflict deep and lasting damage to democratic institutions that will be nearly impossible to undo.  And even if GOP is only in absolute power for 2 years, Supreme Court will probably be entrenched for the next 20, continuing to cement any gains that anti-democratic revolutionaries impose.  We're going to be in a very bad place as a country for quite some time.

OttoVonBismarck

I'm a lifelong Republican who voted for Hillary, but obviously there were not nearly enough white men like me to make the difference.

What I will say is this--I opposed his candidacy, but I believe in the sanctity of this high office, and our democratic system. Trump is entitled to, and deserves, a measure of respect. I always gave Obama a measure of respect, despite opposing many of his policy issues. I will absolutely not root for Trump to fail, because that just hurts America. Trump is a billionaire, he could have a disastrous four years as President, send the country into a depression and lose office--and his life is still great. Trump doing bad doesn't punish Trump, it punishes us. I want for, and hope, a successful Trump Presidency.

If I were to put a positive spin on this, my hope is that on critical issues long ignored, like infrastructure, Trump could be one of the people to actually get something done. He has an incredible mandate. And frankly, he's more popular with the Republican base than most of the congress critters, if they block him on things like infrastructure, they could suffer real consequences. If we had a major infrastructure investment program, that could be a wonderful thing for the country. My hope is that he will listen to wise council, and will not levy disastrous and destructive economic tariffs on major trading partners. I hope he takes a hard line on China and Russia, and I think in ways his personality could aid us in the constant game of poker that is foreign relations. I hope that he doesn't pass his disastrous tax plan that will pauper the government and bankrupt the country.

If he does these things, his Presidency may not be that bad. Obviously with this man, there is a high risk of a true disaster, I know that--that's why I didn't vote for him, but I'll give him my neutral, supportive stance until I see what he will do in office.

garbon

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on November 09, 2016, 03:07:14 AM
I'm a lifelong Republican who voted for Hillary, but obviously there were not nearly enough white men like me to make the difference.

What I will say is this--I opposed his candidacy, but I believe in the sanctity of this high office, and our democratic system. Trump is entitled to, and deserves, a measure of respect. I always gave Obama a measure of respect, despite opposing many of his policy issues. I will absolutely not root for Trump to fail, because that just hurts America. Trump is a billionaire, he could have a disastrous four years as President, send the country into a depression and lose office--and his life is still great. Trump doing bad doesn't punish Trump, it punishes us. I want for, and hope, a successful Trump Presidency.

If I were to put a positive spin on this, my hope is that on critical issues long ignored, like infrastructure, Trump could be one of the people to actually get something done. He has an incredible mandate. And frankly, he's more popular with the Republican base than most of the congress critters, if they block him on things like infrastructure, they could suffer real consequences. If we had a major infrastructure investment program, that could be a wonderful thing for the country. My hope is that he will listen to wise council, and will not levy disastrous and destructive economic tariffs on major trading partners. I hope he takes a hard line on China and Russia, and I think in ways his personality could aid us in the constant game of poker that is foreign relations. I hope that he doesn't pass his disastrous tax plan that will pauper the government and bankrupt the country.

If he does these things, his Presidency may not be that bad. Obviously with this man, there is a high risk of a true disaster, I know that--that's why I didn't vote for him, but I'll give him my neutral, supportive stance until I see what he will do in office.

So basically you are hoping for Trump to pivot?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

If he does these things, his Presidency may not be that bad.

If he does even one of the things he's promised to do, his Presidency will be that bad.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on November 09, 2016, 03:09:28 AM
So basically you are hoping for Trump to pivot?

They still honestly think that Donald Trump is not what he is.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 09, 2016, 03:13:08 AM
If he does these things, his Presidency may not be that bad.

If he does even one of the things he's promised to do, his Presidency will be that bad.

He'll give lots of jobs to Mexican bricklayers.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

celedhring

Detente with Russia is actually a net positive for Spain - we don't border them, and lifting sanctions would be a boost to our exports - we had some strong trade with Russia before those came on. (I support the sanctions, don't read me wrong).

Of course, my biggest concern in all of this is the empowering of similar far right insurgent movements in Europe, and the eventual weakening of the EU. We are only one election shock in France or Germany away from this, imho, or a smattering of similar ones in smaller countries.

Then there's the fact that I was trying to give another go to the idea of immigrating back into the US during 2017 (I have established a couple of prospective job contacts these past two months), but I expect America will kinda suck for immigrants in the near future, I'm afraid. But I'd be moving to CA or NY which still seem to be safe havens of civilization.  :hmm:

Josquius

On the bright side maybe there'll be 8 years of  a good democratic in a few years rather than 4 of Clinton then 8 of a republican?
But this will be a rough 4 years....
██████
██████
██████

Kleves

QuoteTurning and turning in the widening gyre
The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

Surely some revelation is at hand;
Surely the Second Coming is at hand.
The Second Coming! Hardly are those words out
When a vast image out of Spiritus Mundi
Troubles my sight: somewhere in sands of the desert
A shape with lion body and the head of a man,
A gaze blank and pitiless as the sun,
Is moving its slow thighs, while all about it
Reel shadows of the indignant desert birds.
The darkness drops again; but now I know
That twenty centuries of stony sleep
Were vexed to nightmare by a rocking cradle,
And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

garbon

Quote from: celedhring on November 09, 2016, 03:23:12 AM
Detente with Russia is actually a net positive for Spain - we don't border them, and lifting sanctions would be a boost to our exports - we had some strong trade with Russia before those came on. (I support the sanctions, don't read me wrong).

I think Obama and Clinton tried to play for a detente and we saw how well that actually went.

Quote from: celedhring on November 09, 2016, 03:23:12 AM
Of course, my biggest concern in all of this is the empowering of similar far right insurgent movements in Europe, and the eventual weakening of the EU. We are only one election shock in France or Germany away from this, imho, or a smattering of similar ones in smaller countries.

Yep looks like we are in for a bad stretch for democracy.

Quote from: celedhring on November 09, 2016, 03:23:12 AMBut I'd be moving to CA or NY which still seem to be safe havens of civilization.  :hmm:

That's already long been the case with America. ^_^ -_-
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.