News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Recent posts

Off the Record / Re: Brexit and the waning days...
Last post by PJL - Today at 01:33:23 PM
Not 100% sure if Sunak is off the hook leadership wise if Street & Houchen keep their mayoralities but the Tories lose heavily overall. Both have been very keen to personalise their campaigns and distancing themselves from the Tory brand (also Boris Johnson has endorsed both and also dissing the Sunak govt). If a narrative forms that Tories can win, it's just Sunak taking them down, he could be serious trouble regardless.
Off the Record / Re: Elon Musk: Always A Douche
Last post by Sheilbh - Today at 01:03:39 PM
They didn't have it previously - I think they also got approved under China's data protection and cybersecurity laws (and allowing data transfers from China). All necessary steps to be allowed to sell FSDs (specifically) in China. It's not regulatory approval but from what I read the market reaction was because those were seen as the major hurdles.
Last post by Zanza - Today at 12:58:44 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on Today at 12:52:55 PMI believe it's legally required to sell EVs in China to use a Chinese navication company. I think that's all - it was interpreted as a step to sell locally made Teslas in China.
Yes. Same as all other foreign car manufacturers: you have to share knowledge with Chinese partners if you want market access. But why is that supposedly a big success?  :hmm:
Off the Record / Re: Brexit and the waning days...
Last post by Sheilbh - Today at 12:57:35 PM
Yeah I worried I was being a bit prudish but I couldn't really see a justification for the way it's been shared.

Separately local elections tomorrow - only canvassers and leaflets I've received are Labour. Which I suppose isn't a surprise, given that I live in a constituency that went 71% for Labour :lol:

Edit: Also discovered today that Andy Street is apparently in a relationship with Michael Fabricant. I suppose it's progress that I wasn't aware he was gay, far less in a relationship with Fabricant - but it does raise profound concerns about his judgement :blink:
Off the Record / Re: Youtube Recommendations
Last post by frunk - Today at 12:53:29 PM
Pretty Good Alert!  Jon Bois with the first of three parts on the US Reform Party:

If you are unfamiliar with Join Bois it's all good, but I like the Bob Emergency:

and the 1904 Olympic Marathon:
Last post by Sheilbh - Today at 12:52:55 PM
Quote from: Zanza on Today at 12:43:47 PMThe Baidu deal seems irrelevant. They are selling navigation and PoI data to all of Tesla's competitors too. It's just the Google Maps of China. I could not find anything deeper than that in press announcements. Baidu has deeper cooperation with e.g. Geeky, a Chinese car manufacturer.
I believe it's legally required to sell EVs in China to use a Chinese navication company. I think that's all - it was interpreted as a step to sell locally made Teslas in China.

QuoteYeah it sort of makes sense. It also potentially gives Chinese EV manufacturers a way to start cracking the US market, using the Tesla brand.
I suspect the US won't really allow that those cars will be in the US or, as Zanza says, Mexico - there's a lot of signs of Chinese (and American) manufacturers moving some work to Mexico in order to get around increasing trade barriers.

Of course the question I'd hope the US is asking is possibly how Chinese companies or sites might be involved on the AI side of things. I think you have to assume it's real first to consider the risk rather than hand-waveyness.
Last post by Zanza - Today at 12:43:47 PM
The Baidu deal seems irrelevant. They are selling navigation and PoI data to all of Tesla's competitors too. It's just the Google Maps of China. I could not find anything deeper than that in press announcements. Baidu has deeper cooperation with e.g. Geely, a Chinese car manufacturer. And Baidu supposedly wants to build robo taxis itself.
Last post by Zanza - Today at 12:39:18 PM
Quote from: Jacob on Today at 12:18:02 PMYeah it sort of makes sense. It also potentially gives Chinese EV manufacturers a way to start cracking the US market, using the Tesla brand.
They will just build plants in Mexico and start importing from there. Are brands really important in the low price volume segment?
I feel Tesla's brand appeal is being avantgarde, early adopter, tech geek etc. Selling a random Chinese car with that brand might not work well.
Last post by Zanza - Today at 12:35:29 PM
On AI, so far, Tesla has been more risk prone, but not significantly more successful on its advanced driving assistance systems than their competitors. Whether that risk is actually smart will eventually be settled in courts over suits on the crashes their system caused.

Maybe they can actually achieve a breakthrough in their FSD, which would be quite impressive as they have less sensor hardware than e.g. Waymo or other car manufacturers. A pure software driven feature with neglible hardware would be worth something. Not sure if it is worth Tesla's market cap though if they move out of their current business.