News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Recent posts

Gaming HQ / Re: PSA: Game Discounts
Last post by crazy canuck - Today at 09:14:39 AM
Quote from: grumbler on April 15, 2024, 01:16:00 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 12, 2024, 10:05:28 AMI have not played any of them, is there one that stands the test of time

New Vegas.  Most atmosphere and by far the best quests.

:thumbsup:
Gaming HQ / Re: New Paradox Tinto Game - "...
Last post by The Minsky Moment - Today at 08:55:47 AM
My understanding is that idea is that production and distribution mostly run themselves, but the player can step in and try to grab lucrative trade opportunities.  E.g. assuming the spice trade goes into Alexandira, Venetian merchants would try to control those trades from Alexandria-Venice and then Venice to other European markets.  Similar to how it worked in prior EU games except that instead of a more abstracted system where trade centers are assigned an overall value and resources are expended to get a power percentage in the center, you send merchants to make specific trades in specific goods. I.e. something you would probably automate if you were playing a larger power where trade income is not a big proportion of total income but would micro if you are playing a city-state or trading republic.
Off the Record / Re: Israel-Hamas War 2023
Last post by The Minsky Moment - Today at 08:23:06 AM
Quote from: Barrister on May 01, 2024, 02:39:00 PMYeah.  I mean letting yourself be arrested for riding at the front of the bus while black is great political theatre, same as chaining yourself to an old growth tree you're trying to prevent being logged - there's a clear connection between what you're doing and your cause, even if it might be against the law.

It's hard to come up with compelling theater for a protest aimed at another country's foreign policy.  Israel's government certainly is not going to influenced by what a handful of students at Columbia University are doing.  The Vietnam era protests were different in that respect - everyone in the 18-22 age group had a direct personal stake in the prosecution of the war and there were on campus connections like ROTC.

Presumably the model is the South African divestment campaign but that was a longer, more patient effort that didn't (as I recall) involve physical occupation of buildings.  And while the ANC had a militant wing, it didn't carry out anything like Oct 7.
Last post by Tamas - Today at 07:32:28 AM
I haven't been following these protests at all, but was it really that impossible to just let them sit there and get bored? Were they preventing access to buildings?
Off the Record / Re: Brexit and the waning days...
Last post by Tamas - Today at 07:31:05 AM
Quote from: Josquius on Today at 06:58:56 AMUnrelated to local elections but saw this yesterday and got me thinking on the topic of phasing out gas boilers  a lot.

I have heard of some experiments locally in the area...but it is mystifying we aren't doing this more as it sounds so tried and tested. Why are we putting so much into air source heat pumps when we've so many disused mines we can be using in many parts of the country- as the guy here says, heavily parts that could really use cheaper energy and are more likely to be susceptible to anti-green populist nonsense.

Never would go past fear of earthquakes. Just build nuclear.
Last post by Savonarola - Today at 07:22:25 AM
Quote from: celedhring on Today at 12:53:40 AMMmmmm... This made me think. I remember there was a cafeteria in the basement of Hamilton Hall... But it seems it's not there anymore. Damn, this somehow made me feel old.

The first rule of guerilla warfare is always pack a lunch.  The second is to seize the food court.  TE Lawrence covers these both extensively in "Seven Pillars of Wisdom."

QuoteAlso, there were quite a few campus protests when I was over there. One got quite nasty (although not as much as this one, for sure). But these things eventually just blow over. In Europe we get those dime a dozen.

Given the fortitude the protestors have shown thus far I expect they'll stand in solidarity with the Palestinians throughout eternity or until the start of summer vacation, whichever comes first.

;)

Seizing buildings is unusual here, and reminiscent of the 1960s era student protest (my dad was burned out of his dorm in a race riot.)  I think that is why this has garnered so much attention.  It's also unusual in that the protests are limited largely to universities (although not entirely, there was a large one in majority-Muslim Detroit suburb of Dearborn.)
Gaming HQ / Re: New Paradox Tinto Game - "...
Last post by Syt - Today at 07:07:28 AM
With all these systems they plan to implement it's either too complex to meaningfully manage yourself in a game that aims to span 500 years. Or you automate it and don't bother at which point - why bother and not abstract it?

Feels like a Johan dream project, and not sure whether I'm impressed or turned off by this kitchen sink approach.
Gaming HQ / Re: PSA: Game Discounts
Last post by Syt - Today at 07:04:47 AM
Mass Effect Legendary Edition (i.e. ME1-3 + DLC remastered) is 90% off on Steam:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1328670/Mass_Effect_Legendary_Edition/

€5.99
Off the Record / Re: Brexit and the waning days...
Last post by Josquius - Today at 06:58:56 AM
Unrelated to local elections but saw this yesterday and got me thinking on the topic of phasing out gas boilers  a lot.

I have heard of some experiments locally in the area...but it is mystifying we aren't doing this more as it sounds so tried and tested. Why are we putting so much into air source heat pumps when we've so many disused mines we can be using in many parts of the country- as the guy here says, heavily parts that could really use cheaper energy and are more likely to be susceptible to anti-green populist nonsense.
Off the Record / Re: Elon Musk: Always A Douche
Last post by HVC - Today at 06:54:38 AM
It's one of their big competitive advantages, at least in North America, not sure how widespread non tesla charging is in Europe. Speaking for canada the infrastructure sucks in general, but even saying that tesla's is still better.