Climate Change/Mass Extinction Megathread

Started by Syt, November 17, 2015, 05:50:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

I pick nothing and I think that's wonderful because I am not interested in having another American company sucking up the few wealth we have.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

While we've seen one of the worst summers in years for our neck of the woods, Europe's been cooking.

I can see who's been stealing our heat.

Not cool guys, not cool at all.  It's often 13-14C during the night and the morning over here.  A half split would be satisfying.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Rex Francorum

Nah, I am fine with our colder nights and days.
To rent

Syt

Not looking forward to this. Been 30+ in Vienna since Tuesday. For the inner city, add 1 or 2 degrees during the day, and 3 or 4 during the night.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Iormlund

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Syt

Quote from: Josquius on August 17, 2023, 07:31:41 AMHorrific.
Those wide boulevards too....

The "wide boulevards" I live in.

The city created a heat vulnerability map. I live in one of the 0.8+ areas.

And the forecast for peripheral Vienna and Inner City. Note the differences especially at night.

For my building, which is part of a very densely built up area, I can add another 2 or so degrees in out courtyard during the night.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

mongers

Quote from: Syt on August 17, 2023, 07:50:10 AM
Quote from: Josquius on August 17, 2023, 07:31:41 AMHorrific.
Those wide boulevards too....

The "wide boulevards" I live in.

The city created a heat vulnerability map. I live in one of the 0.8+ areas.

And the forecast for peripheral Vienna and Inner City. Note the differences especially at night.

For my building, which is part of a very densely built up area, I can add another 2 or so degrees in out courtyard during the night.

Yeah, I've intentionally allowed a lot of bushes and a couple of small trees to grow in the garden and it makes a noticable difference to the daytime peaks and seems to take the edge of the night time temperatures.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Valmy

This has been the summer from hell. Worse than 2011. I thought last year was bad.

40 consecutive days over 100F/38C and no rain. A new Austin record! Fun.

Fortunately it is El Nino so we should be absolutely drenched this winter.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

viper37

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Syt

Quote from: Valmy on August 17, 2023, 11:55:44 AM40 consecutive days over 100F/38C and no rain. A new Austin record! Fun.

:bleeding:
—Stephen Jay Gould

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on August 17, 2023, 11:55:44 AMThis has been the summer from hell. Worse than 2011. I thought last year was bad.

40 consecutive days over 100F/38C and no rain. A new Austin record! Fun.

Fortunately it is El Nino so we should be absolutely drenched this winter.
Reminds me of last summer.  That was unlivable.

Fortunately, I have plans to buy a central heat pump and a supplemental one for keeping my second floor cold.

I'm just waiting on Hydro-Quebec to launch to new program that gives supplemental grants to buy it.  I should get a few thousand dollars more.

They also give up to 22 000$ in grant if you buy a heat accumulator, but I'm totally not sure it's worth the expense.  From all the preliminary reports I'm getting, this is something that would cost around 30k$.  I'm gonna need 50 years to get my money back with our energy costs here.

mongers

No comment yet from BB with Yellowknife in the NWT.

Meanwhile 'the world' continues to burn.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Grey Fox

@Syt

There is a ReMax office 2km from well conditioned house if you can negotiate something with the owners.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

Quote from: mongers on August 17, 2023, 04:17:22 PMNo comment yet from BB with Yellowknife in the NWT.

Meanwhile 'the world' continues to burn.
Sad to see our northern parts burning like that. :(
Northern Quebec, now northern Canada. Fuck.