News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Recent posts

Off the Record / Re: Grand unified books thread
Last post by Jacob - Today at 12:17:45 PM
Yeah, I have a bit of exposure to that world 2nd hand via my wife.

There's a massive massive ecosystem of online, serialized writing in all sorts of genres. It's pretty fascinating, and I think most Chinese fiction these days references that in some way. If the fiction isn't from that ecosystem, it still - I think - responds to it simply because that ecosystem is significant in shaping the tastes of the audience.

In some ways, there's a similar ecosystem (or multiple) in the West, but I think it's considered less culturally significant. Sure we have reams of online fan-fic or original self-published fiction, but it doesn't really go anywhere. In China, on the other hand, a large number of popular shows (and films) are  based on popular online fiction series, which we don't really see in the West.

I speculate it might have something to do with the party's relative lack of control over online publishing, but I don't know.

Related by separate subtopic: One book I enjoyed (though not from that ecosystem, I don't think; I believe it predates it) is Death of a Red Heroine by Qui Xialong.
Last post by Sheilbh - Today at 11:52:21 AM
I think I've mentioned it before but The Subplot by Megan Walsh is really interesting. It's a very short book (about 100 pages) basically about what China is reading. It's not in-depth and I think it flags Three Body Problem as something raising interest in the West into contemporary Chinese writing.

But lots of interesting stuff about the 80s and 90s generration, books about urban life in China, online literature (which was eye-opening), Chinese crime novels (how do you do that in a Communist society?) as well as both trends of sci fi and historic-ish fiction. Really interesting.
Last post by Jacob - Today at 11:45:58 AM
Yeah, the characterization was a bit archetypical or 2-dimensional in places.

The reason I found it compelling reading is that I saw it as a reflection of (Communist) contemporary China - both in terms of a critique and in terms of the concerns the novels were grounded in. I found that fascinating and it contributed to me having low confidence in my predictions of what happened next (which I value).

It's not that I loved the books so much that I want to read everything by that author, but the change of pace from familiar formulas (and references to formulas that I'm not familiar with - like Chinese online fiction) was part of the appeal for me, enough that less than multidimensional characters and the like became palatable.
Off the Record / Re: Brexit and the waning days...
Last post by Sheilbh - Today at 11:34:23 AM
Quote from: Gups on Today at 11:22:05 AMIf it wasn't for the fact that losing those two races might precipitate an early general election, I wouldn't mind Street and Houchen winning (though I don't know that much about the latter). Local elections shouldn't be a referendum on the national government. If they are, there's no accountabiility and no point to having more devolution.
I did enjoy this leaflet doing the rounds from the Swanage Conservative Party very much making that point :lol:

I've seen lots of people saying the Tories in their area are running as "Local Conservatives" on their leaflets and trying to create as much distance with them and the government as possible.

I think devolution is good on its own terms. But also that its only when figures are prominent enough, able and willing to use their powers that people do decouple from national politics - for example mayors and First Ministers. I wouldn't even know my councillors far less have an opinion, I'd know my MSPs and I know the mayor etc. But I don't think it's a challenge to the worth of devolution - most timmes if you're locally popular like Street and Houchen that will work (and latest polls still are that they'll hold on), but sometimes like when there's a 20% swing against your party in a government there's just a national tide that'll take everyone (particularly with the last 5 years).
Last post by Gups - Today at 11:22:05 AM
If it wasn't for the fact that losing those two races might precipitate an early general election, I wouldn't mind Street and Houchen winning (though I don't know that much about the latter). Local elections shouldn't be a referendum on the national government. If they are, there's no accountabiility and no point to having more devolution.
Off the Record / Re: [Canada] Canadian Politics...
Last post by Sheilbh - Today at 11:05:27 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 29, 2024, 04:58:20 PMI'm am still confused, who do you think the audience of that speech was?
I looked it up - keynote address at dinner of Canada's "leading, independent, progressive" think tank of which he is also the board chair.

If it's flat at an audience that friendly and engaged, then it's not an issue of misjudging the audience/venue.
Last post by Sheilbh - Today at 11:02:37 AM
They did bring the airport into public ownership and even Teesside freeport there is ground being broken on projects. Worth noting elected mayors aren't dictators - they need the support of the leaders of the borough councils in the region and Houchen may be Tory, but four of the five borough council leaders are Labour and they've been voting unanimously on a lot of this.

I also quite like that he has kept banging the drum for levelling up and the need to spend money while Sunak has very much dialled that down - and that the average punter expects things to be done/spade in ground within a five year term, not just a series of statutory consultations and public procurement tenders (now snarled up in judicial review, regrettably).

Plus, last poll I saw he had about two thirds in the region thinking he was doing a good job.

There is a long-term problem that sclerosis like we have can make corruption seem like the less bad option - at least it gets things done. Airport nationalised (now passenger numbers up by 1/3 since the private operator went bust and more routes), projects being built in the Freeport, nationalise the iconic hotel dominating the waterfront to stop it becoming a derelict empty shell. May be shady stuff happening round the sides to do this but it is doing stuff and more than 90% of Tory levelling up projects where the money still hasn't been spent because it's out for consultation, procurement rounds etc.
Off the Record / Re: 2024 US Presidential Elect...
Last post by Caliga - Today at 09:59:08 AM
Quote from: Jacob on April 29, 2024, 11:32:34 PMAny bets on who Trump will name as VP?
Matt Gaetz
Off the Record / Re: The Off Topic Topic
Last post by Duque de Bragança - Today at 09:47:53 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on April 29, 2024, 07:56:29 AMFrancos use Coke in Quebec.

Coca en France.  :frog:
Off the Record / Re: NHL Hockey thread
Last post by crazy canuck - Today at 09:32:29 AM
Quote from: Barrister on April 26, 2024, 12:22:26 PMOK serious question:

I agreed to take my kids to the Oilers watch party tonight.  The Oilers game is in Los Angeles, but we're going to the arena to watch the game on the jumbotron.  Tickets are sold out it should be fairly raucous even though we're only watching the tv broadcast.

I didn't realize however that the Jets are playing at the exact same time! :o

So obviously I'm still taking my kids because I said I would.

But the question is - would I be a tool if I wore my Jets jersey?

You see it sometimes at live games - that guy who is wearing a jersey of neither of the teams that is actually playing.  The arena staff will often do a "lost fan" bit where they put that person up on the jumbotron during a TV time out.

But given that it's the playoffs, that the Jets are playing at the same time, and that it's only a watch party - can I pull it off?

In addition to what everybody else has said, you will be telling your kids in a very passive aggressive way that you would rather be doing something else than being with them doing something they want to do.

It would be worse than being a tool.