News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Only Reform Jews, though. Orthodox and Conservative Jews generally consider there to have been no Jewish temples since the destruction of the Second Temple by the Romans in 70 CE.

Orthodox and Conservative Jews generally call their house of worship a synagogue or shul.

grumbler

Mormons attend temple.  As Jake notes, Jews generally do not.  Some British lawyers do as well.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Josquius

Huh. I always thought temple was just a translation of synagogue that Americans used to avoid foreign sounding words.
██████
██████
██████

grumbler

Quote from: Josquius on June 30, 2022, 04:39:48 PMHuh. I always thought temple was just a translation of synagogue that Americans used to avoid foreign sounding words.

That's not the first time your condescending attitude has led you to have silly beliefs about the US.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Josquius

Quote from: grumbler on June 30, 2022, 04:45:23 PM
Quote from: Josquius on June 30, 2022, 04:39:48 PMHuh. I always thought temple was just a translation of synagogue that Americans used to avoid foreign sounding words.

That's not the first time your condescending attitude has led you to have silly beliefs about the US.

"condescending"? :blink:

I've only heard this on American media. Never hear it in the UK.
Logical guess that it's a language difference rather than a Jew difference. Interesting to find out otherwise.

Likewise I find many Swiss do have this as a language difference. They get all weird when you call a protestant church a church, to them it's a temple.
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

Quote from: grumbler on June 30, 2022, 03:19:29 PMMormons attend temple.  As Jake notes, Jews generally do not.  Some British lawyers do as well.

Temple and Church both exist in Mormonism. You have to be worthy and meet all these requirements to go to the Temple and there are only a limited number of them, you may have to travel a long way to get to one. Mormons go to Church for Sunday services and Temples for their weird ceremony stuff.

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Threviel

Wouldn't going to the temple include buddhists, hindus and other eastern religions?

It seems more like a deliberate exclusion of Muslims than an inclusion of Jews.

HVC

The others are too tanned or asian, which is why I assumed Jewish people.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Admiral Yi

Plus they are quite a bit out of the orbit of Trumpist memesters.

Razgovory

Quote from: Josquius on June 30, 2022, 05:14:40 PM
Quote from: grumbler on June 30, 2022, 04:45:23 PM

"condescending"? :blink:

I've only heard this on American media. Never hear it in the UK.
Logical guess that it's a language difference rather than a Jew difference. Interesting to find out otherwise.

Likewise I find many Swiss do have this as a language difference. They get all weird when you call a protestant church a church, to them it's a temple.
You are the least self-aware poster on Languish.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Josquius

Quote from: Razgovory on July 01, 2022, 12:44:10 PMYou are the least self-aware poster on Languish.

The bizzare out of nowhere insults keep coming. Cute to see how upset you are at the idea someone possibly might be hurting your flags feelings.
██████
██████
██████

grumbler

Quote from: Josquius on July 01, 2022, 01:22:36 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on July 01, 2022, 12:44:10 PMYou are the least self-aware poster on Languish.

The bizzare out of nowhere insults keep coming. Cute to see how upset you are at the idea someone possibly might be hurting your flags feelings.

First Rule of Holes.

Bayraktar!

alfred russel

You are such a dumpster fire that even your avatar is smoking.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

Quote from: grumbler on July 01, 2022, 01:38:23 PM

First Rule of Holes.
There is no hole 😂
██████
██████
██████