And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

grumbler

Quote from: Barrister on June 02, 2022, 11:04:17 AM
Quote from: PDH on June 02, 2022, 10:56:26 AMSo the all powerful god couldn't save the children or stop the killer, even though god knew what would happen?  Sounds like a dick move.

Free will is a bitch, man.

Can't have free will and an omniscient god.  Can's have perfect justice without an omniscient god.  So, as a Christian, which are you going to give up: free will, or perfect justice?

In any case, only a moron would think that "free will" is a gift if it means people suffer ETERNAL torture of the most horrific kind if they use their free will to believe in the 999,999,999+ gods that are not the Christian god.  The Christian god is a monster not only because it allows horrific things to happen and then blames the victims, but also because it refuses to unambiguously reveal its identity and save all of those unlucky enough to believe in some other god which is equally disinclined to actually reveal itself.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 02, 2022, 03:02:10 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 02, 2022, 02:28:24 PMSure, your argument is that heaven doesn't exist and therefore the writing is a lie, etc. 

No I assume for the sake of argument ('best case') that heaven exists.  It is still perverse to react to this horrific tragedy by celebrating the "storming" of heaven by the victims. 

Not to mention the fact that not all of the nineteen kids would be "storming heaven" since some certainly died in sin and so went to hell.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Zanza

Quote from: PDH on June 02, 2022, 10:56:26 AMSo the all powerful god couldn't save the children or stop the killer, even though god knew what would happen?  Sounds like a dick move.
Maybe he waited outside with the Uvalde PD?

Berkut

Quote from: Barrister on June 02, 2022, 01:15:48 PM
Quote from: Berkut on June 02, 2022, 12:46:57 PM

That doesn't answer.

"Free will" does not explain why god chose to let a bunch of children get murdered. You might a well say "chicken salad is a bitch, man".

"Why does God allow suffering" just as one phrasing gets 89 million hits on google.  It's been a topic that has been dealt with over the centuries by philosophers, theologians, and drunks in bars.  I'm afraid I can't give you an answer you'll be satisfied with in a Languish post.
Fair enough. Even with those 89 million hits, we all know there isn't any answer that will satisfy anyone who didn't start of satisfied before they considered the question.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Berkut

Quote from: Razgovory on June 02, 2022, 09:41:16 PMThat's bullshit, Berkut.
SHrug.

I think the bullshit is the attempt to craft a rational, reasonable, and sane concept around the idea that there can be an all powerful, all merciful god who has a plan that he has complete control over, and that results in abject pain and misery for conscious human beings.

I think it is the greatest bullshit story ever told, in fact, that has resulted in untold misery and suffering.

0 rows returned

Barrister

Quote from: grumbler on June 02, 2022, 05:35:23 PM

Can't have free will and an omniscient god.  Can's have perfect justice without an omniscient god.  So, as a Christian, which are you going to give up: free will, or perfect justice?

In any case, only a moron would think that "free will" is a gift if it means people suffer ETERNAL torture of the most horrific kind if they use their free will to believe in the 999,999,999+ gods that are not the Christian god.  The Christian god is a monster not only because it allows horrific things to happen and then blames the victims, but also because it refuses to unambiguously reveal its identity and save all of those unlucky enough to believe in some other god which is equally disinclined to actually reveal itself.

Good to know you consider me a moron G.  Good to know where I stand with you.

Bless your heart.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Brain

Abrahamic religions got weird once they (well the one of them that existed at the time) started describing God as good and not simply as powerful.

The early God, who is not good, is actually a pretty neat personification of an uncaring universe. It is in that way much more attractive than the later version (the later version makes little sense), but of course such a God is a bit redundant.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

If one wants to indoctrinate kind behavior in people I don't see how one can do that in the framework of an indifferent or cruel god.

The Brain

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 03, 2022, 03:25:34 AMIf one wants to indoctrinate kind behavior in people I don't see how one can do that in the framework of an indifferent or cruel god.

If that is your goal then religion is not the answer.

The Brain

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 03, 2022, 04:10:44 AMWhat is?

The normal methods. Teaching that being nice and productive (in a broad sense, as opposed to destructive) has effects that have intrinsic value.

The Christian "this is good and this is bad because Dad said it is, and Dad will punish you if you misbehave" framework might be appropriate for small children, but it is unsuitable for older children and adults.

Berkut

0 rows returned

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.