News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

That's definitely not putting the best possible spin on it.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 01, 2022, 10:38:53 PMThat's definitely not putting the best possible spin on it.

The ball is yours if you want to take a shot.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Maladict

Quote from: Barrister on June 01, 2022, 04:34:53 PM
Quote from: frunk on June 01, 2022, 04:24:50 PMIt sounds very mobsterish to me, I'll "take care" of Mom and Dad.  Saying that someone is in a better place is different from having people in heaven worry about those who aren't and Jesus saying that the parent's problems will be rectified.

Context matters!

Did you really think that in that mawkish drivel that Jesus was saying he'd go murder the child's parents so they could also be in Heaven?

Then they would be in a better place too. Why would Jesus leave them to suffer their loss?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Maladict on June 02, 2022, 09:12:56 AM
Quote from: frunk on June 01, 2022, 04:24:50 PMIt sounds very mobsterish to me, I'll "take care" of Mom and Dad.  Saying that someone is in a better place is different from having people in heaven worry about those who aren't and Jesus saying that the parent's problems will be rectified.

Context matters!

Did you really think that in that mawkish drivel that Jesus was saying he'd go murder the child's parents so they could also be in Heaven?

Then they would be in a better place too. Why would Jesus leave them to suffer their loss?

the other point to make is that, in context, why the fuck should those children believe a god who says he will take care of their parents when he just let them die?

Berkut

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 02, 2022, 09:20:21 AM
Quote from: Maladict on June 02, 2022, 09:12:56 AM

Context matters!

the other point to make is that, in context, why the fuck should those children believe a god who says he will take care of their parents when he just let them die?
This kind of religion is just so fucked up. You really have to not look at it closely at all for it to look anything less then utterly horrific.

You might as well just worship Cthulu.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

PDH

So the all powerful god couldn't save the children or stop the killer, even though god knew what would happen?  Sounds like a dick move.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Barrister

Quote from: PDH on June 02, 2022, 10:56:26 AMSo the all powerful god couldn't save the children or stop the killer, even though god knew what would happen?  Sounds like a dick move.

Free will is a bitch, man.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

HVC

Quote from: Barrister on June 02, 2022, 11:04:17 AM
Quote from: PDH on June 02, 2022, 10:56:26 AMSo the all powerful god couldn't save the children or stop the killer, even though god knew what would happen?  Sounds like a dick move.

Forget what flavour of Christian you are, but does it follow predestination?

*edit* used wrong term.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Barrister

Quote from: Syt on June 02, 2022, 11:29:47 AM

I have to agree with this one - student debt forgiveness is both terrible politics and a terrible policy.

If done as part of an overall reform of higher education with an eye to reducing costs, sure, but just a naked debt forgiveness by itself just encourages schools to keep increasing tuition.

PDH

I guess WAD.

Still makes it a dick move.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

The Minsky Moment

And what happens when the killer's free will comes up against the free will of children who prefer to live rather than be murdered? 

There is no canned philosophical response that does not collapse into incoherence or contradiction.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

crazy canuck

The Fundy Christians like to have it both ways.  An all powerful god who loves you but lets bad things happen to good (and in this case innocent) people.  The Fundys always explain it away in one of two ways - First, their god's plan is a mystery that no one can understand, you just gotta have faith god knows what he is doing.  Second, and completely contrary to the first is some form of free will argument.

To add to the hypocrisy Fundy Christians pray to their god to make things happen in their lives, thank their god for the good things that happen to them, pray to their god that bad things don't happen etc - ie they seem to think their god does intervene in the world in answer to their prayers.

Bart Ehrman's God's Problem, which he wrote a while back, examines all the possible New Testament justifications for why the Christian God lets bad things happen to good people and concludes there isn't a satisfactory answer.  It is the point in his academic career when he stopped being a fundy Christian.

Berkut

That doesn't answer. 

"Free will" does not explain why god chose to let a bunch of children get murdered. You might a well say "chicken salad is a bitch, man".
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Barrister

Quote from: Berkut on June 02, 2022, 12:46:57 PM

That doesn't answer.

"Free will" does not explain why god chose to let a bunch of children get murdered. You might a well say "chicken salad is a bitch, man".

"Why does God allow suffering" just as one phrasing gets 89 million hits on google.  It's been a topic that has been dealt with over the centuries by philosophers, theologians, and drunks in bars.  I'm afraid I can't give you an answer you'll be satisfied with in a Languish post.