News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Recent posts

Off the Record / Re: Brexit and the waning days...
Last post by Josquius - Today at 04:26:21 AM
The MOD has been hacked.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/article/2024/may/06/uk-military-personnels-data-hacked-in-mod-payroll-breach

I've had it pointed out to me...were they not recruiting for the position to defend against this, head of cyber or somesuch, and offering a very low salary?

SAS stuff....shocking yet not shocking. I do wonder about the problem of the military and police heavily recruiting from those of a kind of fucked up inclination. I know some ex soldiers and a policeman or two who are decent guys but thinking to the kids I knew way back when who were heading that way... I wonder how much "Are you a psycho" controls go on during recruitment.
Off the Record / Re: The Off Topic Topic
Last post by Admiral Yi - Today at 03:21:31 AM
Quote from: Josquius on Today at 03:05:13 AMNot a good analogy but then neither is the day to day fear of Islamic extremism one.

I wasn't making an analogy.  I was pointing out an example of a different response to erroneous risk assessment.
Last post by Josquius - Today at 03:05:13 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on Today at 03:03:27 AM
Quote from: Josquius on Today at 02:23:08 AMMore of an analogue for Islamic extremists would be you're actually on site when an attack is underway.

That would be a good analogue for already being mauled by a bear or raped by a man.
More you walk past a bear mauling somebody else.

Not a good analogy but then neither is the day to day fear of Islamic extremism one.
Last post by Admiral Yi - Today at 03:03:27 AM
Quote from: Josquius on Today at 02:23:08 AMMore of an analogue for Islamic extremists would be you're actually on site when an attack is underway.

That would be a good analogue for already being mauled by a bear or raped by a man.
Off the Record / Re: Football (Soccer) Thread
Last post by Josquius - Today at 02:50:58 AM
Thank fuck that season is over.
Amazing collapse by Sunderland with seriously wonky board decisions.
Lots of rumours that Will Still might be appointed as manager sometime soon. He's been sacked by Reims and there's claims he has been spotted house hunting.
This guy seems really interesting. 31, worked his way up through the coaching ranks, educated in Football Manager....
I have a bad feeling. His implosion in France happened.
But still. Fingers crossed we can have a proper season next year.

Sad to see Leicester go up but happy at least one relegated team won't be making it back. Hopefully its Southampton who stay down.
Off the Record / Re: Israel-Hamas War 2023
Last post by Josquius - Today at 02:38:27 AM
Quote from: Valmy on May 05, 2024, 08:09:33 PM
Quote from: viper37 on May 05, 2024, 07:21:58 PM
Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on May 05, 2024, 11:26:40 AM
Quote from: Tamas on May 05, 2024, 10:19:15 AMYou need to have means to get to America frpk house countries, though.

I am not saying the majority of Muslims in Europe want caliphate I am sure they do not. What I am unsure about is how many of them are opposed to the thought enough to work against it, but that part shan't become an issue for many decades.

But I think it's naive to think they or their families have come to Europe because of shared values. I am pretty sure most migrants everywhere are economic ones and they settle in their new countries despite and not because of the cultural differences from their original home.

Koopman's studies point to about 40% to 50% of muslims being fundamentalist.
How many of those live here vs Saudi Arabia, Iran, Turkey and other shitholes?

In the United States I find Muslims statistics sort of hard to understand because they are compared to Christian and Jewish stats and I don't know if they are comparable.

For example weekly service attendance is a big indicator for Jews and Christians at how religious they are. Like 55% of Protestants in the United States attend church once a week or more. 25% of Jews do. 30% of Catholics do. That is pretty important information to know how religious Protestants are compared to Jews and Catholics. Also how sometimes being a Catholic or a Jew doesn't actually have much to do with actually doing Catholic or Jew religious things but kind of an identity.

Whereas 42% of Muslims attend religious services once a week or more and 30% for Muslims between 18 and 30. Does that mean that Muslims in the United States are less religious than Protestants? That young Muslims are comparable to Jews in how seriously they take practicing the religion? Or does that stat really compare? Are Muslims even expected to go to Mosque once a week like Christians and Jews are? Don't know. Something like 15% of all Muslims have said they have never attended religious services ever. So...does that mean they are not religious at all? Not sure.

Likewise what sort of qualities would a Muslim have to be considered "fundamentalist"?

"Protestants" seems a pretty rubbish group statistically these days, especially in the US.
In protestants you've both the chilliest most agnostic live life as they won't groups, and the absolute worst of the worst, would make the Saudis go "That's a bit extreme" scumbags, and everything in between.

But yes, a better comparison for muslims would be a Christian group that is largely recent in its immigration.  This is a big factor with muslim immigrants being big mosque goers- many of them are religious, but there's also the community factor of a visible recent immigrant group.
I have an Indian friend who is absolutely not religious in the slightest, but he still goes to the temple every other week so he can speak his native language, eat food from home, etc...
Off the Record / Re: Being a boy in 2024
Last post by Josquius - Today at 02:33:27 AM
Quote from: Valmy on May 05, 2024, 08:11:48 PMSomething I have been surprised at, looking at my son going through Middle School, current aged 13, is how little actually has changed since I was in his shoes back in 1990. The same kind of stupid shit seems to still be going on.

I mean, ish?
But then that's a common observation when looking back at history.
"It's amazing how much the Ancient Romans worried about all the same stuff we did; paying the rent, getting laid, their favourite sports team, etc..."
What makes it interesting IMO is the weird twist put on things by modern developments.

For instance in the article the one that stood out to me was the sexually active 16 year old recording consent on their phone before doing anything.
Back in my day the kind of kids who were having sex at 16 absolutely would not have been thinking of anything remotely like that. The very suggestion of it would likely get you a punch.

Also encouraging that there seems to be a lot of recognition of toxic masculinity being a problem; way too much stuff you hear about boys these days presents the opposite picture with them taking it further than the 90s to insane woman hating extremes.
Last post by Josquius - Today at 02:23:08 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 06, 2024, 06:28:55 PM
Quote from: Jacob on May 06, 2024, 11:17:16 AMEven if we only count women killed by men they don't know, I'm pretty sure the number is greater than 40.

Though, of course, the relevant statistic for the answer to the question is probably the number of women who've felt endangered by men they don't know. And that is a pretty high number it seems.

I thought this was exactly the question that was being highlighted by the meme: the gap between perceived risk and actual risk.  For example when someone says they are terrified of jihadist terrorism many will point out that the number of attacks on American soil has been low.  Their perception is incorrect and therefore their fear is not justified.

But what we are talking about here is not in your regular life are bears or men more of a threat.
In that men are the obvious right answer for almost everyone.
It's in a situation where you roll a one and get a rare encounter with a bear vs meeting a random guy.
More of an analogue for Islamic extremists would be you're actually on site when an attack is underway.
Off the Record / Re: Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-2...
Last post by Syt - Today at 12:45:51 AM
https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cq5npwdv3wzo

QuoteRussia to hold nuclear drills following 'threats' from West

Russia has started preparations for missile drills near Ukraine simulating the use of tactical nuclear weapons in response to "threats" by Western officials.

Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said recent statements by French President Emmanuel Macron and the British Foreign Secretary David Cameron constituted a "completely new round of escalation of tension".

Last week, Mr Macron refused to rule out potentially deploying French troops, should Kyiv request them, while Lord Cameron said that Ukraine had the right to use British weapons for strikes within Russia.

On Monday, Russia's Ministry of Foreign Affairs stated that Lord Cameron's "hostile outburst" contradicted previous British assurances that the long-range missiles sent to Ukraine would not be used on Russian territory and meant that the UK was a "party to the conflict".

The ministry added that the response to Ukrainian strikes using British weapons on Russia could involve targeting any British military facilities and equipment on the territory of Ukraine and beyond.

It also said that Mr Macron's statement on possible deployment of French troops to Ukraine could be considered as "readiness for direct confrontation with Russia".

Both the British and the French ambassadors in Moscow were summoned on Monday.

The tactical nuclear weapons drills announced on Monday were ordered by Russian President Vladimir Putin, according to TASS news agency.

They were expected to take place "in the near future" and would involve missile formations as well as air and naval forces.

Tactical nuclear weapons are small nuclear warheads and delivery systems intended for use on the battlefield, or for a limited strike.

They are designed to destroy enemy targets in a specific area without causing widespread radioactive fallout.

Strategic nuclear weapons, on the other hand, are large and designed to be fired at a long range - for example, between continents. Russia holds regular drills with strategic nuclear weapons.

In April, Belarus's long-time leader Alexander Lukashenko said "several dozen" tactical nuclear weapons were stationed in his country.

A Ukrainian military intelligence spokesman dismissed the announcement that drills would take place, calling it "nuclear blackmail".

But Nato spokesperson Farah Dakhlallah said it was "dangerous and irresponsible" and stated that Nato remained "vigilant".

Following a meeting in Paris with Mr Macron and Chinese President Xi Jinping, European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen said that she hoped President Xi would help de-escalate Russia's "irresponsible" nuclear threats.

Russia's sabre-rattling comes on the eve of President Vladimir Putin's inauguration for a fifth presidential term.

Ukraine's foreign ministry has said it will no longer regard Vladimir Putin as a legitimate president after his inauguration and has urged other countries and international organisations to follow suit.

However, a French diplomatic source quoted by Reuters said the French ambassador would attend the ceremony.

Germany and several other European countries have ruled out sending their envoys.

Off the Record / Historical Anniversary Thread
Last post by Syt - Today at 12:20:20 AM
Just a new (mega?) thread for various historical anniversaries.

200 years ago today, this little tune premiered in Vienna:

:wub: