News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Israel-Hamas War 2023

Started by Zanza, October 07, 2023, 04:56:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Yep.
Israel thinks nothing of Palestinian civilian deaths. The only reason this one is a scandal is they killed citizens of friendly countries. They do the same thing basically every day.
And their only defence is "But what about Hamas".
██████
██████
██████

OttoVonBismarck

Israel is giving as much deference to civilian casualties as any country does fighting a major war. It gives more consideration than countries like Russia.

grumbler

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on April 05, 2024, 08:04:51 AMIsrael is giving as much deference to civilian casualties as any country does fighting a major war. It gives more consideration than countries like Russia.

That is objectively false.  Despite employing far greater firepower in Ukraine, Russia has killed just less than 11,000 civilians in 25 months.  Israel has killed over 30,000 in six months.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

OttoVonBismarck

Those numbers are fake news. And I think you know that.

1. We are uncritically repeating Hamas numbers, which we also know include Hamas fighters (e.g. non-civilians), estimates I have seen are civilian casualties exclusive of Hamas fighters is around the 18k or so range.

2. The civilian casualties in the Ukraine war are solely civilians killed in Ukrainian territory, that Ukraine has recovered and reported. Russia does not report on civilian casualties. Several large Ukrainian cities that were essentially levelled by artillery in prolonged sieges, and which still are under Russian control, for example, we have no meaningful casualty data from. Basically everyone knows those incidents caused many thousands of civilians deaths.

Think critically and don't post fake shit.

Threviel

Quote from: grumbler on April 05, 2024, 08:27:37 AM
Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on April 05, 2024, 08:04:51 AMIsrael is giving as much deference to civilian casualties as any country does fighting a major war. It gives more consideration than countries like Russia.

That is objectively false.  Despite employing far greater firepower in Ukraine, Russia has killed just less than 11,000 civilians in 25 months.  Israel has killed over 30,000 in six months.

Whilst you are correct about the confirmed number of civilian deaths in Ukraine the Ukrainian government claims that 25.000 died in Mariupol alone, numbers which are orders of magnitudes more credible than anything from the PA.

Tamas

In a way I think the number of civilian casualties is mostly irrelevant. Either Israel has a right/valid reason to seek a decisive military victory over its enemies controlling Gaza, in which case I fail to see how they'd have more responsibility for Gazan lives than Israeli ones i.e. the losses are irrelevant, OR they are not justified to seek a complete military victory over (people controlling) Gaza, in which case pretty much any civilian casualty there is unacceptable.

Josquius

Quote from: Threviel on April 05, 2024, 08:59:21 AM
Quote from: grumbler on April 05, 2024, 08:27:37 AM

Whilst you are correct about the confirmed number of civilian deaths in Ukraine the Ukrainian government claims that 25.000 died in Mariupol alone, numbers which are orders of magnitudes more credible than anything from the PA.

The Palestinian numbers are regarded as being pretty good all things considered.

https://www.vox.com/world-politics/23940215/israel-palestine-gaza-hamas-death-toll-war-fatalities-verified-count-conflict

Though getting hung up on this does sort of miss the point. Has Israel killed 5000 or 4000 children?.... does it matter? Its clear the numbers have crossed the threshold of being considered fucked up.
██████
██████
██████

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tamas on April 05, 2024, 09:45:53 AMIn a way I think the number of civilian casualties is mostly irrelevant. Either Israel has a right/valid reason to seek a decisive military victory over its enemies controlling Gaza, in which case I fail to see how they'd have more responsibility for Gazan lives than Israeli ones i.e. the losses are irrelevant, OR they are not justified to seek a complete military victory over (people controlling) Gaza, in which case pretty much any civilian casualty there is unacceptable.

Quote from: Tamas on April 05, 2024, 09:45:53 AMIn a way I think the number of civilian casualties is mostly irrelevant. Either Israel has a right/valid reason to seek a decisive military victory over its enemies controlling Gaza, in which case I fail to see how they'd have more responsibility for Gazan lives than Israeli ones i.e. the losses are irrelevant, OR they are not justified to seek a complete military victory over (people controlling) Gaza, in which case pretty much any civilian casualty there is unacceptable.

You are ignoring the fact that Israel has itself designated certain areas as safe for civilians and aid, but they attack there anyway.

Mistakes happen, but the finding quoted a few posts ago that the Israelis simply don't care if they are killing civilians is objectively monstrous, if that quote is accurate.

Razgovory

Quote from: Josquius on April 05, 2024, 09:58:29 AMThe Palestinian numbers are regarded as being pretty good all things considered.

https://www.vox.com/world-politics/23940215/israel-palestine-gaza-hamas-death-toll-war-fatalities-verified-count-conflict

Though getting hung up on this does sort of miss the point. Has Israel killed 5000 or 4000 children?.... does it matter? Its clear the numbers have crossed the threshold of being considered fucked up.
What is the threshold of being considered fucked up and what is the rememdy?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Josquius

Quote from: Razgovory on April 05, 2024, 10:43:44 AM
Quote from: Josquius on April 05, 2024, 09:58:29 AMThe Palestinian numbers are regarded as being pretty good all things considered.

What is the threshold of being considered fucked up and what is the rememdy?

If I say 1000 and only 999 kids got killed in a bombing campaign then that makes everything totally fine?
The actual numbers of deaths are clearly well beyond what would be considered reasonable. Asking for a simple definition of what is reasonable again  misses the point and is clearly not asked in good faith.
██████
██████
██████

OttoVonBismarck

The "how many children" thing just isn't relevant to me. If a war is justified and you aren't violating the laws of war, incidental children deaths are tragedies but shouldn't determine a political or diplomatic response to the war.

I don't know how many children the Allies killed to win WWII, but I know it was orders of magnitude more than 1000 or 5000. I don't know very many people that credibly argue the Allies were wrong to fight the war to the point of complete defeat of the Axis powers.

Razgovory

:huh:  How do we know what is clearly beyond what would be considered reasonable if we don't what is reasonable?  You were the one who brought up thresholds.  I have no idea what number of dead kid you would consider totally fine.  Nor do I know what you think we should do about it.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

HVC

Quote from: Threviel on April 05, 2024, 05:47:43 AMIsrael military suspends senior officers involved in aid worker convoy strike

Apparently IDF investigates and presumably prosecutes its perceived war crimes, looking forward to Hamas doing the same.

What about the 190 odd humanitarian aid worker deaths. Not worthy of investigation and/or punishment. Only the incident that garnered international condemnation ? How convenient :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

crazy canuck

Quote from: HVC on April 05, 2024, 11:56:34 AM
Quote from: Threviel on April 05, 2024, 05:47:43 AMIsrael military suspends senior officers involved in aid worker convoy strike

Apparently IDF investigates and presumably prosecutes its perceived war crimes, looking forward to Hamas doing the same.

What about the 190 odd humanitarian aid worker deaths. Not worthy of investigation and/or punishment. Only the incident that garnered international condemnation ? How convenient :D

I don't know why Threviel is comparing a liberal democratic country to a terrorist organization.  I am not sure he thought that comparison through.

Razgovory

If Hamas is simply a terrorist organization than the authorities of Gaza should have no problem handing them over to Israeli authorities.