News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Israel-Hamas War 2023

Started by Zanza, October 07, 2023, 04:56:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Wait, has this level of violence become normalized to the point that Raz can defend a position that this happens all the time, and BB corrects him by saying it goes both ways.

Jacob

I think BB was pointing out the weakness of Raz statement, in that it is not really appropriate to lump in the Hamas attack into a genereal "Gaza attacks Israel all the time" category - just like it's not really appropriate to lump the current Israeli campaign in with previous actions.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on February 05, 2024, 12:36:10 PMI think BB was pointing out the weakness of Raz statement, in that it is not really appropriate to lump in the Hamas attack into a genereal "Gaza attacks Israel all the time" category - just like it's not really appropriate to lump the current Israeli campaign in with previous actions.

Interesting, I thought he was saying all the dates Raz listed were all justified because "Gaza" does it all the time too.

also, note the shift of language which has occurred.  It's not HAMAS, its Gaza.  That gets around the troubling detail of the allegation of collective punishment being a war crime.

Jacob

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on February 05, 2024, 12:36:10 PMI think BB was pointing out the weakness of Raz statement, in that it is not really appropriate to lump in the Hamas attack into a genereal "Gaza attacks Israel all the time" category - just like it's not really appropriate to lump the current Israeli campaign in with previous actions.

Both October 7, 2023 - and the Israeli response - are not at all of a kind of the normalized, routine violence of the prior 20 years.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 05, 2024, 12:31:27 PMWait, has this level of violence become normalized to the point that Raz can defend a position that this happens all the time, and BB corrects him by saying it goes both ways.

Well, yeah. It's not because Egypt, Syria & Lebanon stayed out of this iteration that this isn't just one more Israel-Arab war. Arabs will lose again.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Razgovory

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 05, 2024, 12:31:27 PMWait, has this level of violence become normalized to the point that Raz can defend a position that this happens all the time, and BB corrects him by saying it goes both ways.

The cries of genocide have indeed become normalized.  Don't cry wolf.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

crazy canuck

Quote from: Razgovory on February 05, 2024, 01:02:04 PM

The cries of genocide have indeed become normalized.  Don't cry wolf.

Let's make sure we have a common frame of reference because I think you likely have in mind a different definition of the word.

Under the UN convention here is the definition:

Quotegenocide means any of the following acts committed with intent to destroy, in whole or in part, a national, ethnical, racial or religious group, as such:

Killing members of the group;
Causing serious bodily or mental harm to members of the group;
Deliberately inflicting on the group conditions of life calculated to bring about its physical destruction in whole or in part;
Imposing measures intended to prevent births within the group;
Forcibly transferring children of the group to another group.

Under this definition a genocide can be committed even if, as you put it, some of the group survive.

As you will know, the UN court process has stopped short of declaring that Israel has committed genocide, but it has ordered that Israel use its best efforts to prevent it from occurring. 

That is a practical decision because giving Israel a chance to moderate its behaviour now will likely save Palestinian lives.

I know of no other time when a court has said Israel has come close to the line of committing genocide and so I am a bit surprised by someone claiming this sort of thing happens all the time.

Razgovory

And nobody has claimed genocide before that?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

crazy canuck

Quote from: Razgovory on February 05, 2024, 01:43:35 PMAnd nobody has claimed genocide before that?

Perhaps, but I don't recall the claim being treated as having a great deal of validity until now.

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on February 05, 2024, 12:41:54 PMBoth October 7, 2023 - and the Israeli response - are not at all of a kind of the normalized, routine violence of the prior 20 years.

Agreed.

Josquius

So this is a interesting event.

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2024/feb/05/uk-professor-suffered-discrimination-due-to-anti-zionist-beliefs-tribunal-rules?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

Unexpected someone would actually manage to win such a case given the general view in the country today.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Quote from: Josquius on February 05, 2024, 04:02:13 PMSo this is a interesting event.

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2024/feb/05/uk-professor-suffered-discrimination-due-to-anti-zionist-beliefs-tribunal-rules?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

Unexpected someone would actually manage to win such a case given the general view in the country today.
I think it's the wrong decision. But it's consistent - there's beem a lot of cases. It's unlawful to discriminate against someone on the basis of their political or philosophical views, unless those views are "not worthy of respect in a democratic society" and the courts have viewed that as a very high bar.

Also not sure this is necessarily going against the "general view in the country" when an MP and former minister of the constituency with the largest Jewish population has announced he won't be running for election again due to threats against him and his family and an arson attack on his constituency office.
Let's bomb Russia!

Barrister

Quote from: Barrister on February 05, 2024, 12:41:54 PM

Both October 7, 2023 - and the Israeli response - are not at all of a kind of the normalized, routine violence of the prior 20 years.

I should say - I used the world "normalized" but more as descriptive, not proscriptive.  The world had gotten used to low-level violence between Gaza and Israel - not that we should have normalized and accepted it.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Barrister on February 05, 2024, 04:49:42 PMI should say - I used the world "normalized" but more as descriptive, not proscriptive.  The world had gotten used to low-level violence between Gaza and Israel - not that we should have normalized and accepted it.
Agree - and that's how I read what you said too.
Let's bomb Russia!