News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Israel-Hamas War 2023

Started by Zanza, October 07, 2023, 04:56:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on November 07, 2023, 08:28:38 PMOkay, so the argument I'm putting forward is one I've heard as coming from within Israel, from Israelis.

Why in the world did you not say this at the beginning instead of arguing for three pages whether it's true or not?

QuoteI recognized your sarcasm and responded with sarcasm of my own. You failed to recognize. Point for me :)

Failure to recognize sarcasm disputed. 

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 07, 2023, 09:05:14 PMWhy in the world did you not say this at the beginning instead of arguing for three pages whether it's true or not?

... because others had already stated that this point of view originated within Israel. I was surprised at your vehemence in arguing against it, but accept that I could have restated the origin to shorten the argument.

On the upside, we managed to have some mutually respectful conversation on a contentious topic, so that counts as a plus, right?  :hug:

QuoteFailure to recognize sarcasm disputed. 

Hmm. I guess we'll have to send it to VAR review.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on November 08, 2023, 01:15:00 AM... because others had already stated that this point of view originated within Israel. I was surprised at your vehemence in arguing against it, but accept that I could have restated the origin to shorten the argument.
Where and when was this?  I missed it.

QuoteOn the upside, we managed to have some mutually respectful conversation on a contentious topic, so that counts as a plus, right?  :hug:

It got a little testy.  Partial credit.

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: viper37 on November 07, 2023, 08:11:34 PMHow many would have died if ISIS had been allowed to keep killing people?

ISIS wasn't really mass killing people in cities it had control of, it was primarily killing people it was fighting in attempts to take more territory, and religious minorities in areas where they were captured. But this isn't that different from Hamas--which is certainly capable of, and willing, to kill lots of people outside Gaza, but isn't generally just randomly killing people inside of Gaza.

viper37

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on November 08, 2023, 08:56:21 AM
Quote from: viper37 on November 07, 2023, 08:11:34 PMHow many would have died if ISIS had been allowed to keep killing people?

ISIS wasn't really mass killing people in cities it had control of, it was primarily killing people it was fighting in attempts to take more territory, and religious minorities in areas where they were captured. But this isn't that different from Hamas--which is certainly capable of, and willing, to kill lots of people outside Gaza, but isn't generally just randomly killing people inside of Gaza.
It's like saying the Nazis weren't really killing people in Germany anymore in 1945, so the Allies should have stopped the war outside of Germany.

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on November 08, 2023, 03:56:08 PMIt's like saying the Nazis weren't really killing people in Germany anymore in 1945, so the Allies should have stopped the war outside of Germany.

Except the Germans were killing tons of people in Germany in 1945...
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on November 08, 2023, 04:16:22 PM
Quote from: viper37 on November 08, 2023, 03:56:08 PMIt's like saying the Nazis weren't really killing people in Germany anymore in 1945, so the Allies should have stopped the war outside of Germany.

Well, true, they were still killing people, but much less than 1944.  

And I don't have the breakdown by year, by camps, or even just by country.

Besides, they were busy destroying evidence, preparing their escape and so on.

Compared to how many they killed in 1943-1944 in Eastern Europe, or how many of their own people they had killed before the war even started, it certainly must have been less?

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Admiral Yi

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/E0CauHRF3RY

I enjoyed this clip of Romney confronting a protestor in the Capitol.

Iormlund

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on November 08, 2023, 06:10:28 PM
Quote from: Valmy on November 08, 2023, 04:16:22 PM

Well, true, they were still killing people, but much less than 1944. 

And I don't have the breakdown by year, by camps, or even just by country.

Besides, they were busy destroying evidence, preparing their escape and so on.

Compared to how many they killed in 1943-1944 in Eastern Europe, or how many of their own people they had killed before the war even started, it certainly must have been less?

They had tons of enslaved workers laboring away in miserable conditions. And they kept killing people in their concentration and death camps.

The only thing that stopped them was the Allies invading. I don't know if it was less than 1944, but if it was it was only because the war ended in May.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on November 08, 2023, 09:18:16 PMThe only thing that stopped them was the Allies invading. I don't know if it was less than 1944, but if it was it was only because the war ended in May.
But that's what I'm saying, the invasion stopped the killing.
OvB tries to ridicule my position like I'm saying there should be 0 civilian casualties.

Groups like that should not be allowed to grow, simply.  And then, civilians shouldn't pay the price because we let them grow thinking it's a brilliant move.

Razgovory

Quote from: viper37 on November 08, 2023, 09:28:54 PM
Quote from: Valmy on November 08, 2023, 09:18:16 PMThe only thing that stopped them was the Allies invading. I don't know if it was less than 1944, but if it was it was only because the war ended in May.
OvB tries to ridicule my position like I'm saying there should be 0 civilian casualties.

Groups like that should not be allowed to grow, simply.  And then, civilians shouldn't pay the price because we let them grow thinking it's a brilliant move.
The way not to let them grow is military action.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

viper37

Quote from: Razgovory on November 08, 2023, 10:13:38 PM
Quote from: viper37 on November 08, 2023, 09:28:54 PM

The way not to let them grow is military action.
I refer to you to Sheilb and Minsky's post about Bibi's policies toward Hamas.
Then indicate to me how this prevented the growth of the organization.

Razgovory

Say again.  Did not recieve.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Iormlund on November 08, 2023, 08:55:07 PMCarpet bombing ...

Right,, pretty racist to refer to bombing of an Arab city as bombing carpets.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson