News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gups

I'm a big sports fan and don't agree that means you have to be conservative. I've wanted a sin bin for ages and I think that it would be as big a step forward as the change to 3 points for a win in the early 80s.

Barrister

I was actually surprised to learn that yellow and red cards are a relatively recent addition to the game anyways - only dating back to 1970.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josephus

Quote from: Barrister on February 09, 2024, 05:27:16 PMI was actually surprised to learn that yellow and red cards are a relatively recent addition to the game anyways - only dating back to 1970.

REally? i actually did not know that.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Gups

It was the same system, just no cards.

Threviel

Before the card systems there were players that didn't even know that they had been warned, most famously some English player in the, IIRC, semi-finals in '66. He found out years after the fact.

Back then they also didn't have any subs, so injured players just placed themselves where they would be most in the way for the competitors.

Josquius

Quote from: Threviel on February 12, 2024, 02:52:20 AMBefore the card systems there were players that didn't even know that they had been warned, most famously some English player in the, IIRC, semi-finals in '66. He found out years after the fact.

That does make sense. First impression was it was something for tv. Like the black and white ball story.
██████
██████
██████

Grey Fox

I am still of the opinion that a 2nd and 3rd referee on the pitch would be a better solution than this blue card thing.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josquius

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 12, 2024, 09:07:49 AMI am still of the opinion that a 2nd and 3rd referee on the pitch would be a better solution than this blue card thing.

Its already common enough refs get in the way of play though.

I think the blue card idea sounds definitely worth a try.
Though we should also be making more use of VAR- less ref calls them for big decisions and they take 5 minutes deliberating, and more ref watching through the video feed makes calls the ref may have missed.
██████
██████
██████

Grey Fox

Aren't they in the play because they have to run around close to the ball?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

FunkMonk

CHELSEA CHELSEA CHELSEA
CHELSEABCHELSEACHELSSAA
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Tamas

Jacob

FunkMunk has truly internalized the spirit of soccer. Sure, you want your team to win - but much more importantly, you want the team you hate to not win.

FunkMonk

FunkMonk

Chelsea just lost to literal children in the league cup final and Gary Neville called Chelsea the "blue billion pound bottle jobs" live on commentary and I'm afraid that's it for this Chelsea team.  :lol:

They've become Arsenal in our dark late-Wenger days. A complete laughing stock  :nelson:

Zoupa

The postponed the Chelsea-Spurs game for this.

While I was watching Chelsea lose, all I was thinking was "they could have forfeited so I could have me some PL football this weekend, same result".