News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

The derby was a disaster. Aside from a few flashes of passion it didn't seem like a derby at all.

Posting as... So. Potential further ffp punishments for Everton and for Nottingham forest. Forest seem to have been Particularly disastrous in their rule breaking. Almost Sunderlandish in competence but with huge money.
██████
██████
██████

Josephus

Klopp leaving Liverpool. Didn't see this coming. Strange time to make an announcement with the title on the line. Hearing that it has to do with him not caring to be part of a behind-the-scenes documentary thing.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josquius

That is a surprise.
Could have seen it happening maybe last year when it seemed that Liverpool team was over and there was nothing new on the horizon. This year they've really got going with the transition to a new team though and it has gone very well.
██████
██████
██████

Gups

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

FunkMonk

They will definitely win the league this season now, though. Win it in his last season.

Feels a little crazy he has only won the league once in this Pep/Klopp era. Of course, going against a cheating nation state oil club with infinite resources and arguably the best manager in history, even once feels like a huge achievement.

Josquius

In managers, Sunderland's season seems to be over.
 Tony Mowbray was sacked at the end of last year.
He came in last season after our manager of the time, Alex Neil, was poached by Stoke (who he led to disaster) and did an excellent job, last day of the season squeezing us into the playoffs where we lost to Luton- though had the pitch been less wet and a few other things gone our way...but it wasn't to be.
This year he has been doing OK too. Hovering around the lower reaches of the playoff places.
Not great for sure, there was a particularly poor run of form leading up to the sacking. He seemed very out of ideas.
But overall what got him sacked was moaning about the team's model and insistence on only signing young players and not bringing in an experienced striker- our strikers have scored a total of 1 goal between them this season.

The caretaker manager did OK for a month, and then in came the new manager...
The rumours were of a guy called Will Still. Very young British manager doing well in the French division who got his start playing Football Manager. But apparently our chairman didn't want to pay the 250k release fee.
So we got.... Michael Beale. Currently unemployed after underwhelming at Glasgow Rangers having similarly done meh at QPR.
Lots of talk about that he's a great coach. But he just doesn't seem very good at all as a manager. Recent games have been a disaster. All fun has gone out of watching the team. The team themselves have zero passion. And the results are dire.
Less than 10 games in and everyone wants him out.
We'll be lucky to finish mid table, but worse we might scare away some of our great young players, as who wants to play in the current mess.
██████
██████
██████

FunkMonk

Xavi out in the summer now too.

Manager carousel is going to be crazy this summer...

Josephus

Strangley been hearing rumours that Xavi was in Liverpool's sights as a replacement for Klopp
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

celedhring

Quote from: Josephus on January 28, 2024, 06:29:23 AMStrangley been hearing rumours that Xavi was in Liverpool's sights as a replacement for Klopp

Doubt it. Hardly covered himself in glory.

Also, I know all football people are liars, etc... but he's always said that he'd never manage again once he left Barça. Pretty sure he'd keep to his word for at least a season...

FunkMonk

Liverpool demolished a clueless Chelsea. Have to say now that Klopp is leaving in the summer, the story of the season is set. They'll win the league and probably a cup or two and Klopp will ride off into the sunset.

Josephus

So looks like there will be a World Cup game in Toronto on my 60th birthday 😁
Civis Romanus Sum

HVC

Nothing like feeling the disappointment up close :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Josephus

Quote from: HVC on February 04, 2024, 03:51:13 PMNothing like feeling the disappointment up close :D

I'm sure whatever game it is will be good.  Anybody but Portugal 😁
Civis Romanus Sum

HVC

I'll get to be disappointed by two seperate teams in Toronto. Well, soccer teams anyway :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.