And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FunkMonk

https://x.com/Squawka/status/1738937648301924855?s=20
QuoteNo team has lost more Premier League games in 2023 than Chelsea (19). 🤯

Reminder: they spent £1bn on signings this year.

At this point I'm just feeling sorry for Chelsea. They're even worse than banter era Arsenal at its rock bottom.  :cry:  :cry:  :licklips:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Admiral Yi

Why do Wolves fans boo Sterling?

Tamas

Good thing he posted the reminder on the 1 billion. I almost managed a day without reading that.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 24, 2023, 02:57:07 PMWhy do Wolves fans boo Sterling?
That started after he went down - in their view probably a bit easy/diving.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Vibes of a rival to city group forming?
Ineos to take a controlling stake in Man Utd, already owning top division teams in France and Switzerland.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Yeah definitely the new thing - RB as well. The proposed takeover of Everton (which sounds incredibly dodgy) is by a group that already owns/has big investments in clubs in, I think, Brazil, Belgium and Germany.
Let's bomb Russia!

HVC

Quote from: Tamas on December 24, 2023, 03:10:07 PMGood thing he posted the reminder on the 1 billion. I almost managed a day without reading that.
You can set up daily calender reminders so that ot doesn't happen in the future  :hug:  :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Sheilbh

Went to watch the new play about Gareth Southgate, Dear England, starring Joseph Fiennes (who was excellent) - and I absolutely loved it :lol:

It was very good - and lovely crowd of a mix of people who I think just go to plays and don't really have much interest in football, and, say, a kid in a replica 90s Palace shirt and scarf.

I'm now emotionally invested in Gareth Southgate as manager in a way I wasn't before - but largely based on a fictional character being performed very well, but.... :lol: :ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

It's convenient that football at the top level is becoming more hateful when Barça is shit at it  :lol:

FunkMonk

Arsenal lost badly to West Ham and Fulham and I hate to say it but it's probably curtains on a title this season. We're finished.  :cry:

Sort of reminds me of the second half of the Wenger era, where Arsenal would play well enough in the first half of the season to be called title contenders only to collapse later and settle for 4th. We have Arsenal back  :lol:

Josquius

Just don't let man city win again.
Fingers crossed for a fluke Aston villa win for a change.
██████
██████
██████

FunkMonk

Quote from: Josquius on January 01, 2024, 09:05:47 AMJust don't let man city win again.
Fingers crossed for a fluke Aston villa win for a change.

Can't see Villa winning it but I can see them finishing 3rd or 4th.

Liverpool will win it. City will come back strong with de Bruyne finally returning but this City team is still well off their best.

Josquius

The FA Cup 3rd round this weekend.
By complete fluke Sunderland have been drawn against Newcastle Utd.
Big controversy in Sunderland with NUFC being assigned way more away fan tickets than is usual, taking over part of the stadium that has always been for home fans.
But the reason I post is I've heard something else.
In my home town is a working man's club that has been closed for a little while as it had a bit of bother with the police.
This Saturday it's going to be open just for the derby match.
£25 entry. All you can drink.
Now. At the best of times all you can drink for 2 hours is an insane idea in the UK.
In a dodgy club in a town which is basically 50-50 split between the fans of two arch-rival teams (the rivalry is often likened to Glasgow-Celtic for intensity despite the lack of a religious element), no doubt including some of the shittier fans of both....
I think my hometown will be on the news this weekend.
██████
██████
██████

Gups

In the FA Cup, away clubs are entitled to 15% of tickets - no such rule for nomral league games so it's almost always the case that the home side give up parts of the stadium that are usually for home fans.

FunkMonk

Quote from: Josquius on January 02, 2024, 04:07:32 AMThe FA Cup 3rd round this weekend.
By complete fluke Sunderland have been drawn against Newcastle Utd.
Big controversy in Sunderland with NUFC being assigned way more away fan tickets than is usual, taking over part of the stadium that has always been for home fans.
But the reason I post is I've heard something else.
In my home town is a working man's club that has been closed for a little while as it had a bit of bother with the police.
This Saturday it's going to be open just for the derby match.
£25 entry. All you can drink.
Now. At the best of times all you can drink for 2 hours is an insane idea in the UK.
In a dodgy club in a town which is basically 50-50 split between the fans of two arch-rival teams (the rivalry is often likened to Glasgow-Celtic for intensity despite the lack of a religious element), no doubt including some of the shittier fans of both....
I think my hometown will be on the news this weekend.

Newcastle haven't looked good at all this season. Are Sunderland ready to turn them over?