News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Quote from: FunkMonk on December 11, 2023, 07:07:08 AMPochettino has called for MORE signings in January. Clearly 1 billion pounds worth of players is not enough for Chelsea football club.

That transfer ban can't come soon enough.

Wonder if it's a typical case of not having a fixed style and each new manager wanting his own players to do things his way?

This seems to be where Sunderland is having trouble with managers lately. Following a director of football and head coach model. Head coaches get pissed off by it.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

I find there something weirdly sad about that given Poch's best work at Spurs where transfers were...restrained :lol:

He was the model of the coach finding and improving especially young players. I feel like PSG breaks managers :(
Let's bomb Russia!

FunkMonk

I get what he's saying. This Chelsea team definitely needs older experienced players to mentor the newer players. It's full of kids who have played like 100 minutes of top flight football each. It's no wonder they have been wildly inconsistent for two seasons in a row.

Now that they're going to miss European football again it's tough to see experienced, world class players come to Chelsea unless Boehly starts paying out Abramovich-level contracts. But that's not Todd's model so that's out the window. Missing Europe is really screwing them long term.

Pochettino is a good coach but he is hamstrung by terrible ownership above him and a dressing room used to failure. I don't think he stays in the job unless he gets what he wants.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Gups

Violence in the European game is getting well out of control. The Turkish league has been suspended after the owner of Ankaragucu punched the referee in the face and his minions kicked him when on the ground. Games in Greece are to be played behind closed doors and there are lots of pretty bad incidents in France, Netherlands, Spain, Sweden and elsewhere.

Josquius

Quote from: FunkMonk on December 11, 2023, 08:01:12 AMI get what he's saying. This Chelsea team definitely needs older experienced players to mentor the newer players. It's full of kids who have played like 100 minutes of top flight football each. It's no wonder they have been wildly inconsistent for two seasons in a row.

Now that they're going to miss European football again it's tough to see experienced, world class players come to Chelsea unless Boehly starts paying out Abramovich-level contracts. But that's not Todd's model so that's out the window. Missing Europe is really screwing them long term.

Pochettino is a good coach but he is hamstrung by terrible ownership above him and a dressing room used to failure. I don't think he stays in the job unless he gets what he wants.

Man, at risk of being that guy trying to crowbar in my team everywhere this really does sound like Sunderland.  :lol:

Except the dressing room of failure. We've largely solved that one. And swap in promotion for Europe.
██████
██████
██████

FunkMonk

Manchester United finish bottom of their CL group behind (respectfully) FC Copenhagen and Galatasaray.

Must be hard days indeed to be a United fan, especially seeing all your most hated historical rivals (Liverpool, Arsenal, and Manchester City) doing so well.

Jacob

Quote from: FunkMonk on December 12, 2023, 05:33:12 PMManchester United finish bottom of their CL group behind (respectfully) FC Copenhagen and Galatasaray.

Must be hard days indeed to be a United fan, especially seeing all your most hated historical rivals (Liverpool, Arsenal, and Manchester City) doing so well.

More importantly, FC Copenhagen is in the Champions League after defeating Galatasaray :showoff:

Jacob

On the Copenhagen - Galatasaray match...

When they played in Turkey, FCK was up 2 - 0, got a red card and Galatasarey scored twice in additional time for the tie.

At home just now, FCK was up 1 - 0 and got a red card in the 90th minute. However, Galatasaray did not manage to score.

FunkMonk

Quote from: Jacob on December 12, 2023, 05:34:43 PM
Quote from: FunkMonk on December 12, 2023, 05:33:12 PMManchester United finish bottom of their CL group behind (respectfully) FC Copenhagen and Galatasaray.

More importantly, FC Copenhagen is in the Champions League after defeating Galatasaray :showoff:

:cheers:

bogh

Quote from: Jacob on December 12, 2023, 05:34:43 PMMore importantly, FC Copenhagen is in the Champions League after defeating Galatasaray :showoff:

:showoff:

Our U19 team also won their Youth League group (against ManU, Gala and Bayern). Bodes well for future seasons.

Jacob

Quote from: bogh on December 13, 2023, 05:52:45 AM
Quote from: Jacob on December 12, 2023, 05:34:43 PMMore importantly, FC Copenhagen is in the Champions League after defeating Galatasaray :showoff:

:showoff:

Our U19 team also won their Youth League group (against ManU, Gala and Bayern). Bodes well for future seasons.

Excellent... though I expect Man U and Bayern M will have more disposable cash to supplement the team beyond what they pull from the ranks of their U19 team :)

Jacob

Are you guys following the drama in the Turkish league? The president of Ankaragücü (a top division club) punched a ref in the face during a match, with his staff kicking the man after he fell down. The league suspended matches for a week and "something" is apparently going to be done.

Jacob

Sheilbh

I know this is mad and that football is literally the least karmically balanced thing in the world. But as someone who grew up with peak Sir Alex Ferguson Man United, I feel like their is just balancing.

Grief is the price we pay for love etc but for United fans :lol: :ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!

Jacob

So FC Copenhagen is going to play one of the following teams:
  • Arsenal
  • Real Madrid
  • Real Sociedad
  • Atlético Madrid
  • Dortmund
  • Manchester City
  • FC Barcelona
I like our chances  :lol: