News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Hungary has won its Euro Qualifying group.  :huh: Even not requiring play-offs for getting into a major tournament hasn't happened since 1985.

Seems like we are good at international football when living in dictatorships. Although what sours this for me isn't (just) Orban but more like the core fans. With their uniform black t-shirts and such, such an unpleasant sight.

But still can't help myself rooting for the team.

Zoupa

HOW IS THAT NOT A PENALTY ON MUDRYK???? Talking about the ITA-UKR euro qualifier.

I really do NOT understand this call. What is the point of VAR, they didn't even look at it apparently????

Wow. This is pretty shameful.

Josephus

Quote from: Zoupa on November 20, 2023, 04:45:38 PMHOW IS THAT NOT A PENALTY ON MUDRYK???? Talking about the ITA-UKR euro qualifier.

I really do NOT understand this call. What is the point of VAR, they didn't even look at it apparently????

Wow. This is pretty shameful.

Didn't look clear and obvious. The Ukrainians didn't even protest much.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Zoupa

Did you see the penalty given against England? Come on man.

Gups

Wow, you watch a lot of of football Zoup.

Anyone get tickets for the Euros?  About half a dozen of us applied for 4 ticks at a bunch of group games. Got absolutely zilch. Real shame as was looking forward to week in the Rhineland watching footie. Might still go and chance my arm.

Zoupa

Apart from France and Spurs, I watch highlights only  :sleep:

Jacob

Euro 2024 Draw Pots

POT 1 Germany, Portugal, France, Spain, Belgium, England
POT 2 Hungary, Turkey, Romania, Denmark, Albania, Austria
POT 3 Netherlands, Scotland, Croatia. Slovenia, Slovakia, Czech Republic
POT 4 Italy, Serbia, Switzerland, Play-off winner A, Play-off winner B, Play-off winner C

Playoff teams
A: Greece, Finland, Poland, Estonia
B: Israel, Iceland, Bosnia & Hercegovina, Ukraine
C: Georgia, Luxembourg, Kazahhstan, Greece

FunkMonk

Question for the Germany watchers: Why is Germany so bad now? What happened?
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Josephus

Sucks whoever gets Italy from Pot D
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Sheilbh

Watched a bit of Juve-Inter earlier. That Juve shirt is horrendous :x
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Almost suspect they purposefully want to break up their outline to confuse enemy subs.
But then I remember man Utd having that once in the 90s and dumping the shirt after one half as it was harming them more.

Speaking of kits. Something I've always wondered about. Never seen any data crunching for it. When teams play teams that wear the same usual colours as them does their performance suffer due to that mental connection of "I play for blue. Pass to blue" when his team are currently in their away kit and against blue.
I have always gotten vibes that Sunderland play poorly against other red and white teams away and do better against them at home.
I guess for uncommon colours it's even stronger.
██████
██████
██████

Threviel

I read somewhere long ago that teams with red shirts performed better than other teams.

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

HVC

Nothing strikes fear into a foe like a fluorescent zebra
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Jacob

Man U tie against Galatasaray, playing in Istanbul.

FC Copenhagen are so far tied 0-0 against Bayern Munich in Munich, but there's still a half to go  :ph34r: