News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Quote from: HVC on November 09, 2023, 10:19:12 AMMan, you have to be pretty bad to make the English fans look like the good guys.

The 1980s called. They want their stereotypes back.
There's much much worse than English football fans out there. Football in England today is a very family friendly thing.
██████
██████
██████

HVC

Your cultural views are slightly... tilted.  I'll wait for others to confirm or deny :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Josephus

Quote from: HVC on November 09, 2023, 11:56:47 AMYour cultural views are slightly... tilted.  I'll wait for others to confirm or deny :P

Yeah, English football has cleaned itself up after all the horror stories of the 80s. In fact, I was at Wembley four years ago for an international game, and I was surprised to see you could only drink beer in the concessions era, and couldn't take it to your seat.

That's not to say there isn't trouble outside stadiums, but that's normally caused by people looking for trouble and not actually going to said game.

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Gups

Quote from: HVC on November 09, 2023, 11:56:47 AMYour cultural views are slightly... tilted.  I'll wait for others to confirm or deny :P

LIke a broken clock, he's right this time. There's not much violence these days, nothing like there used to be. France seems to be the worst right now.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/oct/29/lyon-match-at-marseille-called-off-after-visitors-team-bus-attacked

Barrister

Quote from: Gups on November 10, 2023, 09:53:03 AM

LIke a broken clock, he's right this time. There's not much violence these days, nothing like there used to be. France seems to be the worst right now.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/oct/29/lyon-match-at-marseille-called-off-after-visitors-team-bus-attacked

The English have given up on their time-honoured traditions. :weep:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

HVC

Sorry English fans for besmirching your name  :blush:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Grey Fox

Halfway through the season, Wrexham is in a good spot to be promoted after only 1 year in League 2.
No regulation, atleast.

Hollywood money going far.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josephus

Yes. Although this season of the TV show has been hit and miss. There was one god awful episode about some player's dad. I skipped through that one.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Sheilbh

We're at 14th and 8 points ahead of the relegation zone - apparently this is furthest from the relegation zone we've been in almost two years :lol: :bleeding:
Let's bomb Russia!

Grey Fox

Quote from: Josephus on November 11, 2023, 06:09:49 PMYes. Although this season of the TV show has been hit and miss. There was one god awful episode about some player's dad. I skipped through that one.

Season 2 hasn't hit Disney + yet, so I don't know.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Tamas

It's becoming more and more evident that VAR will not compensate for utter referee incompetence, since they just transfer their incompetence into analysing VAR footage.

Tamas

Referee a disgrace throughout, but Chelsea are back, baby!

Josquius

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 11, 2023, 01:39:51 PMHalfway through the season, Wrexham is in a good spot to be promoted after only 1 year in League 2.
No regulation, atleast.

Hollywood money going far.

Weirdly same story with Ipswich in the championship.. Sans Hollywood . Just promoted and flying.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on November 12, 2023, 01:39:52 PMReferee a disgrace throughout, but Chelsea are back, baby!
Also Robert di Zerbi. I believe this statement is the equivalent of sitting your "living in the UK" test:
QuoteRoberto De Zerbi: "I am honest and clear, I don't like 80% of English referees. It's not a new thing, I don't like them."

"The behaviour... I don't like their behaviour on the pitch."

"England is the only country where, when there is VAR, you are not sure the decision is right. In other countries you have to be sure the referee is 100%."

The Athletic
Let's bomb Russia!

FunkMonk

Arteta said similar about how terrible the officiating is and he got roasted in the media lol

I could stomach pre-VAR officiating because yeah, errors will be made if you only have one ref on the pitch. But with the current implementation of VAR not only do we have to deal with on field ref incompetence, we also have to witness the incompetence of the VAR officials. And the officiating is even more inconsistent than before VAR. It's untenable.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.