And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Quote from: FunkMonk on November 07, 2023, 09:46:08 AM
Quote from: Tamas on November 07, 2023, 05:10:52 AM
Quote from: FunkMonk on November 06, 2023, 07:18:50 PMBut yeah, Chelsea are absolute excrement. I hope they get relegated.

Oh shut up. It's a brand new team made of young kids, of course they'll suffer until they learn and gel.

Spurs though lol. Thanks for the 3 points and the entertainment.

I'm a Chelsea hater what do you expect  :P

Take solace in the fact I'm still seething Arsenal dropped points at Stamford Bridge. :cry:

:hug:

Admiral Yi

I thought Chelsea looked pretty good.  Scored lots of goals, had more good chances, exploited the hell out of Tottenham's boneheaded one man down high line.

FunkMonk

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 07, 2023, 11:44:59 AMI thought Chelsea looked pretty good.  Scored lots of goals, had more good chances, exploited the hell out of Tottenham's boneheaded one man down high line.

Quite frankly, they embarrassed themselves. They played against 9 men yet they couldn't control the match at all. Spurs honestly still could've won when it was still 2-1. Chelsea realistically should have scored 7 or 8 against that crazy high defensive line but their forwards are really bad. Pochettino looked like he was going to strangle his team after the match.

So no they weren't pretty good. :lol:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: FunkMonk on November 07, 2023, 01:42:38 PMQuite frankly, they embarrassed themselves. They played against 9 men yet they couldn't control the match at all. Spurs honestly still could've won when it was still 2-1. Chelsea realistically should have scored 7 or 8 against that crazy high defensive line but their forwards are really bad. Pochettino looked like he was going to strangle his team after the match.

So no they weren't pretty good. :lol:

Well, that's like, your opinion, man.

I didn't see any offense from Spurs in my highlight clip except that Soh one on three.  The only time I could fault the Chelsea forwards was when that one dude took the shot when there was another dude sitting alone on the right (I know not terribly informative).  What I saw was time after time when the Spurs goalie sprinted way up the field to get to the ball first.  How is that bad forward play and not great goalie play?

Admiral Yi

Though I will confess I didn't catch the second red when I was watching.

FunkMonk

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 07, 2023, 07:44:39 PMThough I will confess I didn't catch the second red when I was watching.

You should re-watch it. Seriously, it may be one of the greatest PL games of the last decade. 

Jacob

FC Copenhagen beats Man U at home, 4-3.

Right now FCK is in second place in their group (4 points. Bayern Munich is in first (12 poionts). Galatasaray is in 3rd (4 points), and Man U in fourth (also with 4 points).

HVC

Sic Semper Man U!

*edit* purposeful thread, just to be clear :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Josquius

After some early worries I see Newcastle Utd are safely in last place in their group after being beat by Dortmund.
The world remains intact for now.
Come on football bubble pop. Lets be having you before they gain anything. Sadly I fear a League Cup win is imminent.

Speaking of which, heard an interesting proposal the other day- abolish the League Cup across the home nations and create a pan-home nation tournament. Same-same in terms of who wins I'd imagine. But still. Would create some cool away days and give us a decent measure of the old firm.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Quote from: HVC on November 09, 2023, 12:37:44 AMSic Semper Man U!

Almost ten years:
QuoteManchester United
@ManUtd
David Moyes says #mufc must improve in a number of areas, including passing, creating chances and defending.
2:10 PM · Dec 9, 2013
Let's bomb Russia!

FunkMonk

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 09, 2023, 04:55:30 AM
Quote from: HVC on November 09, 2023, 12:37:44 AMSic Semper Man U!

Almost ten years:
QuoteManchester United
@ManUtd
David Moyes says #mufc must improve in a number of areas, including passing, creating chances and defending.
2:10 PM · Dec 9, 2013

Evergreen tweet  :lol:

Wish we had a Yanited supporter here   :menace:

Sheilbh

"I want to do some cyberbullying" :P
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Quote from: Josquius on November 09, 2023, 04:07:14 AMSpeaking of which, heard an interesting proposal the other day- abolish the League Cup across the home nations and create a pan-home nation tournament. Same-same in terms of who wins I'd imagine. But still. Would create some cool away days and give us a decent measure of the old firm.
I think anything British on football will always have an issue that I don't think anyone in English football (and especially Premier League clubs) want anything to do with the sectarianism in Scottish football. In Liverpool it was something that was very consciously fought against and kicked out of the game which is maybe a particular reluctance there.

But more generally it'd all be fun and games until you've got a stadium chanting "no surrender to the IRA" or waving Palestinian flags and singing "You'll Never Walk Alone" in the first game after October 7. At which point I imagine American owners especially who are just there to make money will be less than thrilled.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 09, 2023, 10:08:10 AM
Quote from: Josquius on November 09, 2023, 04:07:14 AMSpeaking of which, heard an interesting proposal the other day- abolish the League Cup across the home nations and create a pan-home nation tournament. Same-same in terms of who wins I'd imagine. But still. Would create some cool away days and give us a decent measure of the old firm.
I think anything British on football will always have an issue that I don't think anyone in English football (and especially Premier League clubs) want anything to do with the sectarianism in Scottish football. In Liverpool it was something that was very consciously fought against and kicked out of the game which is maybe a particular reluctance there.

But more generally it'd all be fun and games until you've got a stadium chanting "no surrender to the IRA" or waving Palestinian flags and singing "You'll Never Walk Alone" in the first game after October 7. At which point I imagine American owners especially who are just there to make money will be less than thrilled.

Fair. Sunderland had a pre-season friendly visit from Celtic a year or two ago where they brought down their shitheads.

Though haven't top Premier League teams also been muttering not too long ago about making dropping out of the League Cup official?
██████
██████
██████

HVC

Man, you have to be pretty bad to make the English fans look like the good guys.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.