News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gups

No, it's pretty rubbish. You have to have basically have been convicted of fraud. The highest profile case was Cellino (sp?) who was disqualified from owning Leeds but held on for yars when arguing about whether the test applied to fraud committed overseas. He ultimately lost but I think regained control after a year. I don't remember how There have been a few lower profile cases too.

It's pretty appalling reall. My club, and others, have been taken over in the past by complete spivs who have asset stripped (bonuses to directors, range rovers etc) and then fucked off. There seems to be no way of stopping them.

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Sheilbh

RIP :(

Always seemed like a decent man, particularly on Hillsborough, and seems to come from a different, slightly more naive era when a theatre impresario could own his boyhood football club :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Josephus

So hearing that the Arsenal Women's team is being called out for not being diverse enough. Management says it will start signing non-whites.
Thoughts?

In other women's news, apparently some male Turkish player mouthed off at a female referee, telling her to "stay in the kitchen." In response, FIFA suspended him for 5 games, and ordered him to referee a woman's game.  :lol:
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josquius

Also RIP lately is Bobby Charlton. In the UK this has been big news outside of the sports section even.
Is it being reported abroad? - does his fame last elsewhere in the world and see him classed as one of the all time great players or is that just an English outlook?

Quote from: Josephus on October 24, 2023, 09:40:47 PMSo hearing that the Arsenal Women's team is being called out for not being diverse enough. Management says it will start signing non-whites.
Thoughts?

I remember a Kenyan girl I used to go out with saying this is why everyone in Africa supports Chelsea and she was so weird in liking man Utd. They thought  Man Utd was racist in not having any Africans.

So ja. On the surface from what you say there dumb.
Though I could see some validity to it if say it stretches down to their youth levels - a London team not having a diverse youth setup is very odd.
██████
██████
██████

Josquius

2034 WC to Saudi Arabia

BBC News - 2034 World Cup: Saudi Arabia set to host after Australia does not bid
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67271423

:bleeding:

Surprised China hasn't had a go?

Also heard the other day Jordan Hendersons new team is pulling in crowds of a few hundred :lol:
██████
██████
██████

HVC

Well at least the eurocup can't be sold to despotic oil barrens. Oh wait, Russia. God dammit. I sometimes hate that I like football
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Zoupa

What an absolute mad match. Not sure what happened to Romero and Udogie, they went crazy for a minute. What a performance from the Spurs on 9 players though. A statement loss if there is such a thing.

On the other hand, Chelsea looked absolutely terrible. What a strange team, all over the place.

FunkMonk

Quote from: Zoupa on November 06, 2023, 05:08:57 PMWhat an absolute mad match. Not sure what happened to Romero and Udogie, they went crazy for a minute. What a performance from the Spurs on 9 players though. A statement loss if there is such a thing.

On the other hand, Chelsea looked absolutely terrible. What a strange team, all over the place.

Genuinely one of the most entertaining and funniest matches I've ever seen. A work of art. If they could hang it in the Louvre they would  :lol:

It is very Spursy though for them to have their first loss in the league be in a match where they have two players sent off and lose 4-1 at home to a Chelsea side who will probably finish in the bottom half again   :P

FunkMonk

But yeah, Chelsea are absolute excrement. I hope they get relegated.

Zoupa

I'm also quite aware of how Spursy I sound when I qualify this match as a great performance, a game where we lost 4-1.

Maddison and Van der Ven injured is not good though :(

Josquius

Really weird that Kane goes, on paper one of the best English forwards of all time, and suddenly spurs are good.

Have to wonder if he was a bad influence in the dressing room or so.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Quote from: FunkMonk on November 06, 2023, 07:18:50 PMBut yeah, Chelsea are absolute excrement. I hope they get relegated.

Oh shut up. It's a brand new team made of young kids, of course they'll suffer until they learn and gel.

Spurs though lol. Thanks for the 3 points and the entertainment.

FunkMonk

Quote from: Tamas on November 07, 2023, 05:10:52 AM
Quote from: FunkMonk on November 06, 2023, 07:18:50 PMBut yeah, Chelsea are absolute excrement. I hope they get relegated.

Oh shut up. It's a brand new team made of young kids, of course they'll suffer until they learn and gel.

Spurs though lol. Thanks for the 3 points and the entertainment.

I'm a Chelsea hater what do you expect  :P

Take solace in the fact I'm still seething Arsenal dropped points at Stamford Bridge. :cry: