News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Josquius on October 10, 2023, 06:32:21 AMI guess I could see turkey - Italy working if the two halves are kept seperate until the final?

Distance wise it's better than the North American or Russian WCs.

The Russian World Cup had free trains for supporters so hardly comparable in fact. Hence most of the travel was not done by plane, but by surface transportation.
And yes, sometimes it was long 40 hours or so but I like travelling by train.  :P

With Italy and Turkey, I doubt we'll see many train-boat-train transfers between cities.

North American is of course worse.

Josquius

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on October 10, 2023, 06:50:52 AM
Quote from: Josquius on October 10, 2023, 06:32:21 AMI guess I could see turkey - Italy working if the two halves are kept seperate until the final?

Distance wise it's better than the North American or Russian WCs.

The Russian World Cup had free trains for supporters so hardly comparable in fact. Hence most of the travel was not done by plane, but by surface transportation.
And yes, sometimes it was long 40 hours or so but I like travelling by train.  :P

With Italy and Turkey, I doubt we'll see many train-boat-train transfers between cities.

North American is of course worse.

As I said though I'd hope,if they were smart, teams would potentially only have to swap country for the final with the two halves kept seperate before that.

Which does make me wonder about the UK and Ireland one. A logical group pair would be Belfast and Dublin but surely that means the two Irish teams in the same group and creating potential fan problems from the get go so maybe they have to do some stupider fly for every game groups?
██████
██████
██████

FunkMonk

Being reported that Sheikh Jassim, ruler of Qatar, has pulled out of the Manchester United bid. Their fans are seething  :lol:

The other PL club that had their name out there when he was originally interested in buying a PL club was Tottenham. Might he actually acquire them now? They seem reasonably attractive (new stadium, decent Top 6 or 7 team) for a much lower price.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Zoupa

It'll be a cold day in hell if the "jewish" club sells to fucking Qataris. It'd also mean I'd have to find a new team :(

Jacob

Admiral Yi

I thought the US looked sharp, especially on defense, in their Germany friendly.  Lovely opening goal from my boy.

Josquius

I can see the London factor really appealing to them.
██████
██████
██████

FunkMonk

Quote from: Zoupa on October 14, 2023, 07:09:29 PMIt'll be a cold day in hell if the "jewish" club sells to fucking Qataris. It'd also mean I'd have to find a new team :(

There's the other North London club ya know. And it is traditionally associated with the French  :P

But my condolences if Qatar comes after your club. If (or when?) a similar thing happens to Arsenal it may be the end of me watching English football.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Josquius

Two interesting articles popped up in succession on the topic of dodgy foreign big money in football.

First from one of the old breed of rich locals -

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2023/oct/14/sunderland-pioneer-sir-bob-murray-jonathan-wilson-inside-football?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

I found it interesting. I do think it has something for neutrals too. Though I disagree with the assessment things will get worse and worse. I do think we are due for another few outrages but the tipping point is within reach.

And then more broadly -

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/oct/14/what-is-the-future-of-european-football-in-10-years?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

I do like the idea of cross border leagues as a way for smaller countries to compete.
██████
██████
██████

Josquius

Apparently causing social media buzz lately. Non League team (Gateshead) 37 pass from keeper to opposition net goal.

██████
██████
██████

Grey Fox

Stop it, Spain can only get so erect.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

Do the other team owners or the league get a say in who becomes the new owner or is it strictly a private transaction?

Sheilbh

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 19, 2023, 08:42:45 AMDo the other team owners or the league get a say in who becomes the new owner or is it strictly a private transaction?
The league does - and in the case of the Premier League - my understanding is the twenty shareholders of the League are the Premier League clubs. I think it's fair to say it's an open question how effectively that's managed particularly in relatio to the "fit and proper person" test of prospective owners...
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Can't think of them ever blocking a take over?
Raised objections certainly but it seemed to just work as if any member of the public had done so.
Maybe my memory is just incomplete on this.
Perhaps the Wimbledon fiasco and the talk of a Dublin move?
██████
██████
██████