News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

FC Copenhagen is playing Bayern München, Manchester United, and Galatasaray for the group stage of Champions League.

... bit of an uphill struggle to qualify out of that group I think.

Barrister

So for my first weekend as a Sevilla fan - their game gets postponed!

God-damn rain in Madrid - apparently My Fair Lady lied to me. :grr:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josquius

Quote from: Jacob on September 03, 2023, 06:58:37 PMFC Copenhagen is playing Bayern München, Manchester United, and Galatasaray for the group stage of Champions League.

... bit of an uphill struggle to qualify out of that group I think.
Is second round the usual aim of a team of that level?

Man Utd do seem quite awful this year and Galatasaray are meh so... I dunno.
██████
██████
██████

Jacob

It's not something you'd expect, no :D

celedhring

Quote from: Barrister on September 03, 2023, 08:44:26 PMSo for my first weekend as a Sevilla fan - their game gets postponed!

God-damn rain in Madrid - apparently My Fair Lady lied to me. :grr:

Madrid is on a plain (well, a plateau to be exact).

Jacob

So the Spanish FA has now apologized for the kiss.

I assume the new interim president is not a minion of the old one, or is that too optimistic?

celedhring

Quote from: Jacob on September 05, 2023, 10:26:58 AMSo the Spanish FA has now apologized for the kiss.

I assume the new interim president is not a minion of the old one, or is that too optimistic?

He's a minion. Before Rubiales was suspended he reorganized the FA's executive committee to ensure this guy became interim prez. However, he - and the rest of the assembly - have shown they are ready to cut bait to preserve their position.

Jacob

How are the presidents (and executive committee) selected?

celedhring

Quote from: Jacob on September 05, 2023, 11:27:10 AMHow are the presidents (and executive committee) selected?

The assembly elects the president, and the assembly is made up of representatives from the regional FAs, which have their own separate elections, plus representatives from football teams, referees, and footballers. It's essentially a big political machine since the FA is a cash cow and the president distributes cash to keep everybody happy.

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Zoupa

England is not going to win anything anytime soon. This was probably the most boring, uncreative display of football I've ever seen. I think the centre backs got 80% of the touches, just playing the ball back and forth between them.

What a terrible display. Why are you guys so enamoured with Southgate?

Josquius

There being nothing to play for couldn't have helped.

Totally slipped my mind there was a game today.

England are a solid team at the moment but they are missing a critical edge with Kane being past his best.
██████
██████
██████

Duque de Bragança

Some atrociously naive defending from Germany vs Japan in a friendly.  :hmm:
Japan 3 Germany 1

Ter Stegel made quite a few saves actually.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Zoupa on September 09, 2023, 03:50:29 PMEngland is not going to win anything anytime soon. This was probably the most boring, uncreative display of football I've ever seen. I think the centre backs got 80% of the touches, just playing the ball back and forth between them.
Worst I've seen them in ages - although in terms of boring, uncreative displays of football I remember the Capello years :lol: :bleeding:

Having said that I think Ukraine were very good.

QuoteWhat a terrible display. Why are you guys so enamoured with Southgate?
He gets loads and loads of criticism :lol:

But his record is a semi-final, final and quarter-final in major tournaments, which is pretty solid. He almost stepped down after Qatar and I think that might have been the right time to move on but he's done better than any other recent England manager so I think has earned the right not to be fired.
Let's bomb Russia!

FunkMonk

Yeah most English fans I interact with are tired of Southgate.

Potter remontada when Southgate leaves?  :D
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.