News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: celedhring on August 29, 2023, 09:02:22 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on August 29, 2023, 06:27:40 AMObviously it is bad but the mum locking herself into a church and going on hunger strike (to support her sex pest son) and there is now a protest outside the church, it is taking a very Almodovar turn :lol:

That's just Spain  :ph34r:
The mother played by Marisa Paredes, Rubiales by Luis Tosar, Jorge Vilda by Banderas - Penelope Cruz is involved, somehow.
Let's bomb Russia!

Zoupa

Chelsea lol.

Spurs are quite enjoyable to watch so far. We've got our Tottenham back!

Barrister

So we have a new international student again.  We're back to Spain - a girl from Seville.  It's only been 24 hours but she seem sweet.

Now every time we have new international students they bring us gifts.  Normally it's something like chocolate.  They don't have to of course, but it's something someone must be telling them they need to do, since they all do it.

But this girl (Maria) went all out.  Amongst other things she brought me (and specifically me) a jersey from Sevilla FC.  It's an away, I think it looks really sharp.  I know next to nothing about La Liga (or soccer), but I'm touched.  I decide that I'm going to be a fan of Sevilla for this season, just for fun.

I check the standings.

Oh.

Ah well - if I can survive my favourite team not existing for 15 years, I can survive trying to follow a crappy La Liga team.  Looks like La Liga is even covered by Canada's TSN - if I can figure out the online streaming aspect I might try to check out the game of Sevilla vs Athletico Madrid tomorrow morning!
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

HVC

It'd be funny if she was a fan of the rival team :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Barrister

Well it'll be easier than trying to follow my former "favourite" team - EC Bahia from Brazil.

(which I only claimed as my favourite because my sister-in-law is from there.  It's not like I wouldn't check the Brazilian league standings more than once or twice per year)

Josquius

Following an underdog for reasons of actual connection, no matter how slight, is the proper way to do it.

Yesterday Sunderland walloped Southampton 5-0.
Which is bizzare. So far this year we've struggled against fairly Meh teams, but now we crush one of the leagues favourites.
Amongst the scorers was a 16 year old which isn't unheard of but always blows my mind.
Our top signing the summer was Jobe Bellingham, brother of the other Bellingham. He's only 17 and already pretty much core of the team.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Quote from: HVC on September 03, 2023, 12:40:14 AMIt'd be funny if she was a fan of the rival team :D
Although probably better for BB. At least given Sid Lowe's motto about their rival, "always watch Betis".
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

Sevilla are a very good team, certainly one of "best of the rest" in Spain after Barçadrid. BB is catching them at a bad point in time though. Yet, they still are the reigning EL champs and will be playing in the CL.

Josephus

Quote from: Barrister on September 03, 2023, 12:25:43 AMAh well - if I can survive my favourite team not existing for 15 years, I can survive trying to follow a crappy La Liga team.  Looks like La Liga is even covered by Canada's TSN - if I can figure out the online streaming aspect I might try to check out the game of Sevilla vs Athletico Madrid tomorrow morning!

They're a decent team. I think they are the current UEFA Cup holders.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Barrister

Quote from: celedhring on September 03, 2023, 04:19:52 AMSevilla are a very good team, certainly one of "best of the rest" in Spain after Barçadrid. BB is catching them at a bad point in time though. Yet, they still are the reigning EL champs and will be playing in the CL.

That's good to know!

Like I said (and will continue to say) I know nothing.  I just looked at the standings and saw Sevilla at the absolute bottom, even though admittedly it's quite early.

Are there any good websites in English that follow Spanish football?

Sheilbh

It won't cover anything but I'd recommend Sid Lowe for the Guardian who is an outstanding writer on Spanish football.

I feel like the Athletic would probably be best for covering all the games but I'm not sure...

Edit: *won't cover everything :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Barrister

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 03, 2023, 11:34:39 AMIt won't cover anything but I'd recommend Sid Lowe for the Guardian who is an outstanding writer on Spanish football.

I feel like the Athletic would probably be best for covering all the games but I'm not sure...

I used to have a subscription to The Athletic for their hockey coverage.  I really should re-up.  Hell just for their Winnipeg Jets writer, Murat Ates, it was worth it (yes he's a Turkish guy living in Winnipeg and writing about hockey - I love Canada).

HVC

The true Canadian experience. Atta-Turk! :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

celedhring

In my experience, The Athletic's coverage of La Liga is rather poor, particularly outside of the Big Two. As pointed out Sid Lowe at The Guardian is excellent, though.

I'm told this is also a decent place, but I don't follow it myself: https://www.football-espana.net/category/la-liga/sevilla

Also, if you are willing to put up with online translation, muchodeporte.com is the goto place for Sevilla/Betis stuff.