News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maladict

celedhring

FIFA has now suspended him for 3 months while they conduct their investigation. Meanwhile, the Spanish government has taken up the matter to the Spanish TAS.

He's dead, and was dead already dead yesterday, I find the way he's going down so wild. I suppose he wants to draw out the process as long as possible - regardless of how ugly it gets - to control the succession, since there's probably so much shit that might come out otherwise.

EDIT: Yep, it looks like he's been shuffling around the FA's board to ensure somebody loyal to him becomes acting president once he's ousted. 

FunkMonk

https://twitter.com/MadridXtra/status/1696097543774511208?s=20
QuoteBREAKING: The Spanish FA threatens to LEAVE UEFA if Luis Rubiales is removed as the president. This could have a big impact and lead to the removal of ALL Spanish teams in European competitions.
@OndaCero_es

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/aug/28/spanish-football-chiefs-mother-declares-hunger-strike-in-support-of-him
QuoteThe mother of Spain's embattled football chief, Luis Rubiales, has reportedly shut herself in a church in southern Spain and declared herself to be on a hunger strike over what she described as the "inhumane and bloodthirsty hunt" of her son.

The decision by Ángeles Béjar to lock herself into a 19th-century church is the latest twist in a saga that has gripped Spain for the past week after her 46-year-old son grabbed the Spanish forward Jenni Hermoso by the head and planted a kiss on her lips during the World Cup medal ceremony.

What is happening in Spain??????
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

HVC

How much blackmail material does this dude have?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Duque de Bragança

Enough or more than enough, I guess.  :hmm:

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

Honestly the kiss itself wasn't a HUGE deal. There could have been a perfectly reasonable explanation with getting caught up in the emotions of the moment. I've certainly seen guys kiss each other at such times.

But this shoukd have been promptly followed by a woops, I'm so very sorry... Instead it's "I did nothing wrong and the wokerati are out to get me!!".
Jesus.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

From what I read it seems this was the "cherry on top" after years of the Spanish FA not treating the women's team well down to allegations of abuse (which led to a number of players boycotting the team previosuly).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sheilbh

Yeah lots of issues with the coach too, which makes the achievement of those players even more impressive.
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

Quote from: Josquius on August 28, 2023, 10:12:58 AMHonestly the kiss itself wasn't a HUGE deal. There could have been a perfectly reasonable explanation with getting caught up in the emotions of the moment. I've certainly seen guys kiss each other at such times.

But this shoukd have been promptly followed by a woops, I'm so very sorry... Instead it's "I did nothing wrong and the wokerati are out to get me!!".
Jesus.

He released a half-assed apology video... and later transpired that he pressured Hermoso and the national team's captain to appear in it, accepting the apology (they both refused). This is actually what set off the storm, since he's technically their boss and that's workplace abuse of power.

celedhring

Quote from: Syt on August 28, 2023, 10:16:34 AMFrom what I read it seems this was the "cherry on top" after years of the Spanish FA not treating the women's team well down to allegations of abuse (which led to a number of players boycotting the team previosuly).

The FA has always treated women's football as a "jobs for the boys" club. That includes the current manager (Jorge Vilda). As you mention, a group of players complained last year about the lack of professional structures and the overall culture of the national team.

It's interesting because the team's perfomance in the WC was initially seen as a victory for the FA, which had ostensibly backed and persevered with Vilda (only a few of the boycotting players were allowed back into the team for the WC), and then everything blew up in their faces. Vilda's shown up as the weasel he is by only releasing a statement against Rubiales once the FIFA already suspended him, and holding onto the post when nearly all of his coaching staff has quit in protest.

Sheilbh

Obviously it is bad but the mum locking herself into a church and going on hunger strike (to support her sex pest son) and there is now a protest outside the church, it is taking a very Almodovar turn :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 29, 2023, 06:27:40 AMObviously it is bad but the mum locking herself into a church and going on hunger strike (to support her sex pest son) and there is now a protest outside the church, it is taking a very Almodovar turn :lol:

That's just Spain  :ph34r:

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: celedhring on August 29, 2023, 09:02:22 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on August 29, 2023, 06:27:40 AMObviously it is bad but the mum locking herself into a church and going on hunger strike (to support her sex pest son) and there is now a protest outside the church, it is taking a very Almodovar turn :lol:

That's just Spain  :ph34r:

I thought Movida was over by now.  :P