News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FunkMonk

Quote from: Tamas on August 20, 2023, 12:39:40 PM:bleeding:

Quote£115m Enzo missing a penalty for Chelsea and £115m Caicedo giving a penalty away

£230m to lose to West Ham with 10 men

If football gods exist they are smiling
https://twitter.com/Rory_Talks_Ball/status/1693315004513067033?s=20

:lmfao:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

HVC

Quote from: Josquius on August 20, 2023, 09:33:00 AM
Quote from: HVC on August 20, 2023, 07:03:58 AMGuess Vilda was vindicated. 13 minutes was way too much extra time. I know there was a penalty review but when I see that much time I assume FIFA had a prefered winner and Spain wasn't it.

On the contrary it's great to see injury time actually represent the time wasted.
That was an agonisingly dull second half with so much dead time

Weren't you just complaining that the wrexham second half was too exciting :P

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

HVC

Quote from: Josephus on August 20, 2023, 07:44:10 AMPoor England :bowler:

It's never coming home.

It's almost comforting, isn't it :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Sheilbh

Quote from: HVC on August 20, 2023, 05:31:10 PMIt's almost comforting, isn't it :D
Reminds me of when I decided to follow Everton Women more - they had a pretty decent reputation and the men's team were particularly torrid at the time.

Immediately dragged into a relegation fight :weep: :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

]
Quote from: Sheilbh on August 20, 2023, 05:33:51 PM
Quote from: HVC on August 20, 2023, 05:31:10 PMIt's almost comforting, isn't it :D
Reminds me of when I decided to follow Everton Women more - they had a pretty decent reputation and the men's team were particularly torrid at the time.

Immediately dragged into a relegation fight :weep: :lol:

Try Sunderland women. From one of the top teams in the country to knocked down two divisions due to a failing to do some paperwork /to make way for more glamorous teams suddenly deciding they cared about women's teams.
██████
██████
██████

Threviel

Great tournament by Spain, they played the most entertaining football of the tournament.

Must be conflicting for Spaniards, they did win and that is good, but they did not bore everyone to tears so it's very much an un-Spanish type of win.

Josephus

Quote from: Josquius on August 20, 2023, 09:17:32 PMTry Sunderland women.

I will if I ever get out there. Right now Sunderland is 365th in cities of the world I'd like to visit.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

celedhring

Looks like our FA president is in dire straits after that unsolicited kiss to one of the players during the celebration and comments inside the dressing room. His manoeuvering behind the scenes to defuse the situation (i.e. allegedly pressuring the player and the team captain to publicly say it was not a big deal) has made things worse. The player has now called (through the players' union) for punishment.

He's a corrupt arsehole (like his predecessor) so good riddance if it happens - but I doubt it.

Tamas

I like the huge contrast between how a lot of people like to view football as some moral/value driven thing (like they do with most sports) and the fact that it is a consistent stream of scumbags who rise to the leadership of the sport.

celedhring

Ok, several media now reporting that he's quitting. Today FIFA announced that they'd be investigating him, and when you're too toxic even for FIFA...

Good riddance, although I expect whomever replaces him will be another crook.

Josquius

Really sad for the team their victory seems to have become all about this
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Quote from: celedhring on August 24, 2023, 02:44:43 PMOk, several media now reporting that he's quitting. Today FIFA announced that they'd be investigating him, and when you're too toxic even for FIFA...

Good riddance, although I expect whomever replaces him will be another crook.
Turns out he's not. The clips are wild.
Let's bomb Russia!

FunkMonk

Wtf is happening with the Spanish FA

celedhring

Yeah, it was a truly WTF moment. The speech was unhinged, shades of that Wolf of Wall Street scene where he's about to quit to avoid prosecution but he's so coked up he reverses his decision on the spot.

Anyway, the Spanish government - through the Spanish Sports Council - is taking up the matter to the sports courts.

FunkMonk

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/aug/26/spain-football-federation-threatens-to-sue-protesting-female-players

QuoteThe Spanish football federation has threatened to sue Jenni Hermoso, the player at the centre of a row over its president's conduct, for lying and defamation.

It has also threatened to sue the 79 women's football players who signed a letter in which they refused to play for their country as long as Rubiales remained in his post.

In a statement, the federation said that it would take the "necessary legal action" and told the players that "playing for the national team is an obligation on any member of the federation called upon to do so".

The federation reproduced a series of still photographs of the incident that it claims show that Hermoso lifted Rubiales off his feet and was not only willing but an instigator of the kiss.

This is insane. Like quadrupling down on the victim.