News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

It's preposterous.

Then again, I'm sure they've put a bunch of work into influencing various officials so they probably have a good shot at succeeding.

Sheilbh

You'd feel like they'd have to recognise Israel given that's why Israel is in UEFA not the Asian federation?
Let's bomb Russia!

Grey Fox

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 17, 2023, 10:10:13 AMYou'd feel like they'd have to recognise Israel given that's why Israel is in UEFA not the Asian federation?

They will do it soon. Joining UEFA on top of it seems a very nice collateral profit lane.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

FunkMonk

https://theathletic.com/4786779/2023/08/18/mason-greenwood-manchester-united-charities?source=user-shared-article

QuoteManchester United's plan to bring back Mason Greenwood was so advanced that the club even prepared documents outlining the type of images that should be taken of the player during training sessions and planned how manager Erik ten Hag should handle questions during an anticipated media storm.

According to sources with knowledge of United's planning, who remain anonymous because they are not authorised to speak publicly, the club's preparations for Greenwood's return also included an assessment of the expected sentiment of external figures, listing individual football pundits, journalists and politicians and stating whether they would be for or against Greenwood's reintegration. The planning divided these people into categories to the effect of "supportive", "open-minded" or "hostile". The club's document listed a series of domestic abuse charities assumed to be "hostile".

The Greenwood case is very interesting because, unlike other sexual crimes involving footballers in the UK (T. Partey currently comes to mind), everyone speaks openly about the alleged perp and his crimes. Strictly from a footballing perspective, how United are handling this, and their obvious desire to return Greenwood to the starting XI, is startlingly short-sighted and frankly embarrassing.

I don't think the huge uproar against reintegrating Greenwood into the squad will stop it from happening. I think we'll see him play this season. It's reported that Ten Hag wants him in the team and I suspect he'll get him. As for the fans, who knows what, if any, protest will happen in the stands.

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

FunkMonk

Have to admit, it was very satisfying to see United played off the park by Spurs. At least Spurs know they're in a transition season and they're trying to build a new team with a coach who plays exciting football. United look like the same old United from the past 5 or so years but they'll insist they'll challenge every season  :lol:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Grey Fox

America's team, Wrexham, came back from down 4-1 at the half to tie Swindon Town 5-5 in League 2 action.  :)
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josquius

Quote from: Grey Fox on August 19, 2023, 08:55:44 PMAmerica's team, Wrexham, came back from down 4-1 at the half to tie Swindon Town 5-5 in League 2 action.  :)
Which finally proves football isn't real. It's just like wrestling. Such a crazy result.
██████
██████
██████

Zoupa

Quote from: FunkMonk on August 19, 2023, 08:53:54 PMHave to admit, it was very satisfying to see United played off the park by Spurs. At least Spurs know they're in a transition season and they're trying to build a new team with a coach who plays exciting football. United look like the same old United from the past 5 or so years but they'll insist they'll challenge every season  :lol:

Good game for Spurs, especially the second half. Some thoughts:

• Pedro Porro is great on offence, a liability on defence.
  • Not sure about this van de Ven kid they got. Not impressed so far.
  • Son and Richarlison is not, at all, equivalent to Son and Kane. I hope the coach gives Richarlison a real chance though, because I love the guy and he wants to do well.
  • Madison was a good signing.
  • Is Eric Dier hurt? So weird to not see him start.
  • Sancho and Christensen are unrecognizable since they joined United. Zero impact.
  • Fernandes is a diva with a terrible attitude, who's only ever good against crap teams or if United is ahead. He visibly gives up the moment they get adversity. Must be terrible for morale.

HVC

Guess Vilda was vindicated. 13 minutes was way too much extra time. I know there was a penalty review but when I see that much time I assume FIFA had a prefered winner and Spain wasn't it.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Sheilbh

Quote from: HVC on August 20, 2023, 07:03:58 AMGuess Vilda was vindicated. 13 minutes was way too much extra time. I know there was a penalty review but when I see that much time I assume FIFA had a prefered winner and Spain wasn't it.
I still think there needs to be a time limit on reviews. If it's not clear in 1-2 minutes then I think you just defer to the on pitch ref, acknowledging it may not be perfectly correct but there's a trade off with disruption to the game.

Well done Spain - fully deserved and (from the games I watched) a really good tournament.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josephus

Poor England :bowler:

It's never coming home.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

mongers

Quote from: Josephus on August 20, 2023, 07:44:10 AMPoor England :bowler:

It's never coming home.

That had been my hope, that the women won so it would forever put to bed the boring talk from male England fans about it 'Coming Home'.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Sheilbh

I doubt that'll ever happen until there's a new song. Same way as West Ham fans will keep singing regardless of whether or not it's blowing bubbles :P
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Quote from: HVC on August 20, 2023, 07:03:58 AMGuess Vilda was vindicated. 13 minutes was way too much extra time. I know there was a penalty review but when I see that much time I assume FIFA had a prefered winner and Spain wasn't it.

On the contrary it's great to see injury time actually represent the time wasted.
That was an agonisingly dull second half with so much dead time
██████
██████
██████

Tamas