News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanza

I find the Saudis outbidding everyone else entertaining. I don't mind if the football circus is moving or better yet destroyed. 

Grey Fox

Anything that actually spurs the Super League into being, I approve.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

Anyone see the Aus France game?

One for the ages.

Jacob

Quote from: Grey Fox on August 14, 2023, 11:23:42 AMAnything that actually spurs the Super League into being, I approve.

You think Al-Hilal is going to join the Super League?

Grey Fox

Quote from: Jacob on August 15, 2023, 01:42:17 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on August 14, 2023, 11:23:42 AMAnything that actually spurs the Super League into being, I approve.

You think Al-Hilal is going to join the Super League?

No. I think elite players leaving the European national championships will.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josquius

I wonder what the buildup of the Saudi league will mean for club internationals.

The Asian champions league isn't great. Even before the current wave of Saudi investment their teams were amongst the strongest.

And it doesn't exactly cover a natural area either - do Saudis really care that much about getting one over on Japan?

Strikes me the Saudis would much rather be aiming for where the real money is - the European champions league.
Far closer in terms of time zone and travel, of far more interest to the population, more cultural links, and get more prestigious as well as fantastically richer.

Wonder if we will see the Saudis pushing to be allowed in...

Or will they keep trying to make the club world Cup a serious thing?
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

crazy canuck

Good win for England. Lots of poise after the Aussies tied the game and the crowd went crazy.

It's going to be a good final.

Sheilbh

I love Sarina Wiegman the England coach and I think she is incredible at that poise. I think it was true in the Euros to managing all the emotions and getting the team to just play their game with composure.

And she took the Dutch to the last World Cup final - I think she's just a very, very good coach.
Let's bomb Russia!

Gups

Quote from: Josquius on August 15, 2023, 03:05:54 PMI wonder what the buildup of the Saudi league will mean for club internationals.

The Asian champions league isn't great. Even before the current wave of Saudi investment their teams were amongst the strongest.

And it doesn't exactly cover a natural area either - do Saudis really care that much about getting one over on Japan?

Strikes me the Saudis would much rather be aiming for where the real money is - the European champions league.
Far closer in terms of time zone and travel, of far more interest to the population, more cultural links, and get more prestigious as well as fantastically richer.

I can't see how they would be allowed to join UEFA. I'm not really sure I understand the business rationale behind the whole thing to be honest but I don't think it has much to do with securing football revenue.

Josquius

Quote from: Gups on August 16, 2023, 08:24:29 AM
Quote from: Josquius on August 15, 2023, 03:05:54 PMI wonder what the buildup of the Saudi league will mean for club internationals.

I can't see how they would be allowed to join UEFA. I'm not really sure I understand the business rationale behind the whole thing to be honest but I don't think it has much to do with securing football revenue.

Money talks.
And its not like the continental bodies are set in stone - Australia switched from Oceania to Asia and I have over the years seen a fair bit of talk of various possibilities for changing the Asian organisation- albeit never one which touched uefa apart from minor talk of Russia joining the afc.

I do think this is possibly something that might be attempted - perhaps the mooted split off of the middle east from AFC and then attempts to expand the champions league to becoming a dual organisation tournament.

Anyway. Changing topic. Other fringe thoughts - Sarina Wiegmen in men's football.
Seems inevitable this will happen at some point.
Do we see it soon? Entering at what sort of level? Will she succeed?
The big question I would have over her abilities is less the male/female difference and more the difference of national team management.
██████
██████
██████

Josephus

Apparently the Saudis are in talks to have representation in the Champions League as if 2025

And in related news Inter Miami are being asked to participate in the South American equivalent

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josephus

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 16, 2023, 06:55:37 AMGood win for England. Lots of poise after the Aussies tied the game and the crowd went crazy.

It's going to be a good final.

Yeah, I've said it before.  The quality of play in this WC is really good.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josquius

Quote from: Josephus on August 16, 2023, 05:58:16 PMApparently the Saudis are in talks to have representation in the Champions League as if 2025

And in related news Inter Miami are being asked to participate in the South American equivalent

Wow. I feel proud of my powers of prediction. Didn't expect it this fast.

https://www.sportstiger.com/news/saudi-football-association-proposes-plan-to-include-team-in-champions-league

Just in case I have different  powers - I predict I will win the lottery sometime in the next month.
██████
██████
██████