News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duque de Bragança

Spanish wiki disagrees with Forbes and HVC.
Says baseball is very popular along the Atlantic Coast, however.

HVC

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on August 08, 2023, 12:04:45 PMSpanish wiki disagrees with Forbes and HVC.

Nfl says that Mexico has 46 million fans. You can quibble about being second place but 1/3 of the population makes it a popular sport whichever way you cut it :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: HVC on August 08, 2023, 12:07:34 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on August 08, 2023, 12:04:45 PMSpanish wiki disagrees with Forbes and HVC.

Nfl says that Mexico has 46 million fans. You can quibble about being second place but 1/3 of the population makes it a popular sport whichever way you cut it :P

I am a bit skeptical regarding NFl claims about the popularity of the NFL, to be honest.  :P

HVC

Fine you win, no one in mexico has even heard about football. My bad  :blush:  ;)
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Josquius

Quote from: HVC on August 08, 2023, 12:00:09 PM
Quote from: Josquius on August 08, 2023, 09:37:06 AMI've never heard of American Football having any popularity in Japan.
I'd say its probably more popular in the UK than there. NFL does have a reasonable niche fanbase here.

Japan has had collegiate football since the 30s. Obvious not as big as baseball, but still has a following.

Honestly not something I heard of at all whilst I lived there.
Baseball definitely. Football also popular. Basketball increasingly so. Rugby... A bit more select but in some schools it's huge. Relay running - oddly a huge thing at university level.
American football though... People know it's a thing that exits but that's it.
I'm not too surprised some universities would have teams but it's really not much of a thing.
██████
██████
██████

Grey Fox

I watched the Montreal Tigers win a Canadian cricket league over the weekend. Most of the players were of the larger Indian diaspora.

It's such a posh sport.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

mongers

Quote from: Grey Fox on August 08, 2023, 03:24:46 PMI watched the Montreal Tigers win a Canadian cricket league over the weekend. Most of the players were of the larger Indian diaspora.

It's such a posh sport.  :bowler:

FYP.  :D
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Jacob

Sorry for bringing the conversation off track here, but the Faroese champions (soccer) - KÍ Klaksvík - have apparently eliminated both the Swedish and Hungarian champtions - Häcken and Ferencváros - during qualifiers for the Champions League. Now they've also beaten the Norwegian champions - Molde - 2-1 in their first game against them at home.

FunkMonk

Finally seems Harry Kane is gone (to Bayern).

Always personally liked him even though he played for the shittiest club in the world. Now I won't have to hold my nose when I praise him  :lol:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Zoupa

Sad to see him go. It'd be nice if he could finish up his career in 4-5 years back at Spurs.

I wonder if that means we can give free reign to Richarlison now (DO IT).

Also a big question mark is going to be Son's reaction. Kane and Son were the real engine for the Spurs offense and complemented each other quite well. I guess we'll see.

Can't wait for Sunday :)

I'll go ahead and stick my neck out: Spurs finish 4th.

FunkMonk

Quote from: Zoupa on August 11, 2023, 12:35:59 AMSad to see him go. It'd be nice if he could finish up his career in 4-5 years back at Spurs.

I wonder if that means we can give free reign to Richarlison now (DO IT).

Also a big question mark is going to be Son's reaction. Kane and Son were the real engine for the Spurs offense and complemented each other quite well. I guess we'll see.

Can't wait for Sunday :)

I'll go ahead and stick my neck out: Spurs finish 4th.

Yeah from what I understand Spurs have looked pretty good in the preseason, at least in the attack. Seems the new manager is working some of his magic.

I don't see any of the usual pundits rating Spurs very highly this season so that tells me they'll actually have a decent season this year  :lol:

FunkMonk

Caught the DFL Supercup match between Bayern and RB Leipzig and, I got to admit, it is super freaking weird to see Harry Kane playing for Bayern.

FunkMonk

A new era, much like the old era. And they're supposed to sign Lavia from Southampton and Olise from Palace shortly as well :lol:

QuoteCaicedo is a great signing for Chelsea but it's a staggering fee.

They've now spent £821m in 3 windows under Todd Boehly.

Man City have spent £716m over the 11 windows dating back to the start of 2018/19.

It's completely excessive spending
https://twitter.com/DougieCritchley/status/1690837115372699648?s=20

Zoupa

I don't know why they're trying to go the PSG/Galacticos way. It doesn't work. Olise is a great player though.

Spurs drew against Brentford, 2-2. Son and Richarlison were kinda invisible... Sigh.

Tamas

This summer Chelsea sold/got rid of 12 players. The spending now seems much more focused. Definitely not the old Real Madrid way buying players just because they sell tshirts.