News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Denmark advances.. playing Australia on their home turf next, in front of about 80,000 Australians.

Josephus

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 03, 2023, 08:34:00 AMI will take that bet.

Loser pays for drinks if we ever see each other

You're on.  :)
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on August 04, 2023, 06:12:57 AM

Swedish keeper wins the game

Josephus

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 06, 2023, 09:41:33 AM
Quote from: Josephus on August 04, 2023, 06:12:57 AM

Swedish keeper wins the game

Yup. I owe you a drink. Never been so happy to lose a bet :D
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josquius

The season has started (badly).

Seems an error in Womens world Cup timing.
██████
██████
██████

crazy canuck

Josephus

I notice not too much of the football fans on here talking about the WC. Which is unfortunate, and typical. There have been some really good games in this women's world cup, and the skill and tactics level has improved so much, even from the last world cup.
Civis Romanus Sum

Josquius

Quote from: Josephus on August 08, 2023, 06:25:17 AMI notice not too much of the football fans on here talking about the WC. Which is unfortunate, and typical. There have been some really good games in this women's world cup, and the skill and tactics level has improved so much, even from the last world cup.

It being in Australia and the games being on at a crap time of day doesn't help.
██████
██████
██████

Gups

I'm only a bit interested I'm afraid. I think I've watched about 20 minutes so far plus some highlights. Partly because of the time the games are on, partly because the best sport in the world (test cricket) has been taking up my sporting attention and partly because the league season over here has started.

Will watch at least the England v Columbia quarter final this weekend.

mongers

Quote from: Gups on August 08, 2023, 06:53:28 AMI'm only a bit interested I'm afraid. I think I've watched about 20 minutes so far plus some highlights. Partly because of the time the games are on, partly because the best sport in the world (test cricket) has been taking up my sporting attention and partly because the league season over here has started.

Will watch at least the England v Columbia quarter final this weekend.

:yes:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Tamas

Is it the Ashes still? Hard to know when one series of it ended and the other began. Its THRILLING stuff. Who will win this year? England? Australia? Perhaps England? or Australia? We also cannot rule out Australia winning, or England pulling a surprise and winning.

It's everyone's game after last year's hotly contested England vs. Australia matches, and we expect this year drama's will setup a nailbiter next year to find out who will win it, with the pundits expecting it'll be either England or Australia.

Richard Hakluyt

It has been a magnificent series, love the way that England has been playing; just a terrible shame that the 4th test was drawn because of the weather  :(

HVC

Is cricket the only international sport popular only among English speaking nations? I guess (American) football. Can't think of others.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

HVC

Quote from: Josephus on August 08, 2023, 06:25:17 AMI notice not too much of the football fans on here talking about the WC. Which is unfortunate, and typical. There have been some really good games in this women's world cup, and the skill and tactics level has improved so much, even from the last world cup.

I watched the Canadian games, and the USA Portugal game.  Plus some highlights here and there. I agree it's gotten better, but I don't know, just doesn't feel the same.  Then again, I only really watch the men's World Cup and euro now, so not a huge fan to begin with.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.