News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Josquius on July 27, 2023, 12:29:16 AMRead a bit on the Philippine team being 17/23 US born.
Prior to reading this I had just been wondering with Morocco how many of them were French or Spanish.
I know a few, maybe half a dozen, of the Nigerians are Brits.
I wonder how it looks for the others. Anyone seen a breakdown so I don't have to go trawling every squad list?
The Athletic might have something - but I haven't seen anything.

I know with international men's football they've done a few pieces on the trends of players from diasporas. On one side countries' football federations increasing their scouting of the diaspora/being aware of potential stars younger (ending Ireland's one comparative advantage in world football :weep:), but also shifts/more complex multiples in identity among younger generations of players.

I don't know if they've done anything similar on women's football but it feels like the same trends would apply (with less money on the scouting bit).
Let's bomb Russia!

Josephus

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 26, 2023, 11:19:29 AMCanada has looked .. and lethargic on offence.

They actually have been lethargic for years. Even when they won the Gold in the Olympics they defended their way to the title (winning on penalty kicks). They don't have a great striker anymore since Sincy has gotten older and been relegated to a deeper role. That's been a problem for them of late.

I think they will qualify for the next round but are not in the same quality a team as the USA, Holland, England, France and some others.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 26, 2023, 07:26:37 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 26, 2023, 11:19:29 AMCanada has looked shaky on defence and lethargic on offence.

They have to beat Australia to go through.  I past world cups I would not worried about that game.  But the Canadian side needs to find some of their old gold scoring magic.

Nigeria might pull the upset again.

Yes, but they probably also beat Ireland, which still means Canada needs to beat the Aussies.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on July 27, 2023, 07:19:03 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 26, 2023, 11:19:29 AMCanada has looked .. and lethargic on offence.

They actually have been lethargic for years. Even when they won the Gold in the Olympics they defended their way to the title (winning on penalty kicks). They don't have a great striker anymore since Sincy has gotten older and been relegated to a deeper role. That's been a problem for them of late.

I think they will qualify for the next round but are not in the same quality a team as the USA, Holland, England, France and some others.

You are correct  :cry:

Josephus

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 27, 2023, 11:12:07 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 26, 2023, 11:19:29 AMCanada has looked shaky on defence and lethargic on offence.

They have to beat Australia to go through.  I past world cups I would not worried about that game.  But the Canadian side needs to find some of their old gold scoring magic.

Yes, but they probably also beat Ireland, which still means Canada needs to beat the Aussies.

A draw will get them through the next round.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josquius

So. Hojlund. I know nothing of him but man Utd paying big money for this young Danish forward.

Just me getting off brand Haaland vibes?
██████
██████
██████

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on July 27, 2023, 02:14:16 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 27, 2023, 11:12:07 AM

A draw will get them through the next round.

Unfortunately Canada looked like they were playing for a scoreless draw.  The Australians were playing to win.

Josephus

As I said before, Canada is not a good team
Civis Romanus Sum

crazy canuck

The took equal pay for work of equal value a bit too literally.  :D

HVC

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 31, 2023, 02:57:38 PMThe took equal pay for work of equal value a bit too literally.  :D

People always work hard for the raise and then slack off :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

crazy canuck

And the US almost didn't make it to the knock out rounds.

Parity in Women's soccer has come quicker than I think most thought possible.

Josephus

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 01, 2023, 12:28:51 PMAnd the US almost didn't make it to the knock out rounds.

Parity in Women's soccer has come quicker than I think most thought possible.

I'll still put my money on them to take it all.
Civis Romanus Sum

crazy canuck

I will take that bet.

Loser pays for drinks if we ever see each other

crazy canuck

Germany is out, couldn't beat Korea to get out of the group.

Josquius

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 03, 2023, 09:33:58 AMGermany is out, couldn't beat Korea to get out of the group.
Wow. Weren't they favourites?
██████
██████
██████