News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Putting on Crystal Palace v West Ham in the background.

"Wait a sec, that stadium looks familiar ...."  :hmm:

https://ted-lasso.fandom.com/wiki/Nelson_Road_Stadium

(No, I've never really followed Premier League much  :blush: )
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Duque de Bragança

Lazio already had the Roman eagle on the jersey I guess.  :P

Josquius

Jesus Spurs.

Did Harry Kane recently visit a museum and knock over a mysterious urn or something?
██████
██████
██████

Josephus

3-0 not even 15 minutes in.   Lol
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Sheilbh

Spurs fans chanting that they want a refund :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Zoupa

I hate my life and I hate all of you and I hate the FUCKING SPURS

Josephus

So I quit watching at 3-0

😁
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

FunkMonk

As disappointed as I am with Arsenal not winning the title, I find the comfort of Spurs being Spurs like a warm, safe blanket   :lmfao:  :lmfao:  :lmfao:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Josquius

I stopped watching at 3-0 too, had other things to do.
Looks like spurs made a go of it only to lose last minute. :pinch:
██████
██████
██████

FunkMonk

Quote from: Zoupa on April 30, 2023, 12:31:25 PMI hate my life and I hate all of you and I hate the FUCKING SPURS

COYS!

FunkMonk

Chelsea look abject on the pitch. They have Bournemouth, Forest, City, United, and Newcastle left to play. Will they get another win the rest of this season?

Tamas

Quote from: FunkMonk on May 02, 2023, 08:16:08 PMChelsea look abject on the pitch. They have Bournemouth, Forest, City, United, and Newcastle left to play. Will they get another win the rest of this season?

I cannot see how. :( Fingers crossed we don't get relegated.

Tamas

While obviously Bohley is a terrible owner of epic proportions, articles like this are starting to grate on me: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/may/03/chelsea-frank-lampard-arsenal-premier-league

This guy is trying to make the Chelsea story to be about a soulless corporate approach naturally failing in the high-spirit world of football, with I think a hint of "foreigners (Americans) can't get this".

This is really rich (haha) in a league where basically every major team is owned by a dubious oligarch or oil sheikh, and which is utterly dominated (I am not sure dominated is a strong enough word) by non-local (as in non-English) talent and skill at every position from players to coaches.

Sheilbh

It's not unique to Ronay writing about Chelsea. Here he is on Manchester City ("a hard regime's soft power project"):
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/apr/27/manchester-citys-perfection-is-laced-with-coldness-and-unease

Or on Newcastle pointing out that it's fine that Russia's invasion raised questions about Abramovich's ownership, but what about Yemen and Newcastle:
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/mar/11/shouldnt-someone-in-football-also-care-about-the-war-in-yemen-just-a-little

Ronay and I think a lot of football writer's (and fans) default position is that money is ruining the game. Not the only area, but one of the areas where lots of people would like to simply be Germany. Sky Sports and BT Sports do plenty of the "BEST LEAGUE IN THE WORLD EVER!" stuff - the Guardian (and other papers) do more mournful for the corporatisation of yet another area of life.
Let's bomb Russia!