News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: PDH on April 26, 2023, 06:19:30 PMTo be fair, BC is just the 4th west coast state anyway.

Is California part of Cascadia?

PDH

Pshaw - California has more than enough failed state ideas from home-grown ijits.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Syt

Heh.

https://www.lafc.com/news/lafc-receives-approval-to-invest-in-austrian-club-fc-wacker-innsbruck

QuoteLAFC Communications

Wednesday, Apr 26, 2023, 10:15 PM

LAFC of Major League Soccer today officially received approval to invest with the Austrian club FC Wacker Innsbruck from the FC Wacker Innsbruck Board and Association.

"This is an exciting moment for LAFC and FC Wacker Innsbruck," LAFC EVP of Corporate Strategy and Development Benny Tran said, "We are humbled and honored to invest in this Club and work together on this long-term partnership with legendary fans and supporters to rebuild this team and return the Club to top-level, winning football."

FC Wacker Innsbruck currently plays in the Hypo Tiroler Liga, the fourth division of Austrian football and has previously won 10 championships in the top Austrian league, the Bundesliga; the Club also boasts one of the top fan (supporter) clubs in the country.  The 2022 MLS Cup Champions, LAFC has represented the greater Los Angeles area in MLS since 2018.

Wacker was in the top tier only 3 years ago, but dropped down the tables, and with their finances a shambles lost their license and had to go down to the 4th tier. They've been looking for investors for a while now. Did not expect an MLS team to invest in them, though. :D

Tbf, as stadiums go, Wacker Innsbruck has one of the more scenic views.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Barrister

Quote from: Syt on April 27, 2023, 01:56:28 PMWacker was in the top tier only 3 years ago, but dropped down the tables, and with their finances a shambles lost their license and had to go down to the 4th tier. They've been looking for investors for a while now. Did not expect an MLS team to invest in them, though. :D

Tbf, as stadiums go, Wacker Innsbruck has one of the more scenic views.

That seems right out of the Wrexham playbook - but a storied team with deep fan support but terrible ownership problems and see if you can turn them around.

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josquius

Much worse than Wrexham. Wrexham have never been that big of a team. Pretty much their entire history in the bottom professional leagues.

Leeds on acid is the closest parallel that comes to mind for me. Struggling to think of a bigger fall outside of unstable leagues.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Quote from: Josquius on April 27, 2023, 02:56:25 PMMuch worse than Wrexham. Wrexham have never been that big of a team. Pretty much their entire history in the bottom professional leagues.

Leeds on acid is the closest parallel that comes to mind for me. Struggling to think of a bigger fall outside of unstable leagues.

Glasgow Rangers? Though they obviously crawled their way back to the top.

Actually, looking over German leagues, it's not uncommon to have a team that used to be in the top or second tier of German football to drop into 3rd, 4th, sometimes 5th tier. Those drops are usually connected to - obviously - financial issues.

Most extreme example is probably KFC Uerdingen (KFC stands for Krefelder Fußball Club :P ). Chemical corporation Bayer used to sponsor two teams: Bayer 04 Leverkusen and Bayer 05 Uerdingen. In 1995 Bayer stopped sponsoring Uerdingen. The club renamed, and ... well this is their league history:

Stuttgarter Kickers used to be a solid second league side, making it into the Bundesliga twice in the late 80s and early 90s. They're in the 5th tier now.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Josquius on April 27, 2023, 02:56:25 PMMuch worse than Wrexham. Wrexham have never been that big of a team. Pretty much their entire history in the bottom professional leagues.

Once again reminded that Leeds Days is a Korean phrase for your peak years :lol:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doing_a_Leeds#%22Leeds_Days%22
Let's bomb Russia!

crazy canuck

Quote from: PDH on April 26, 2023, 06:19:30 PMTo be fair, BC is just the 4th west coast state anyway.

Finally someone on the opposite side of the debate makes a valid point.  Damn you.  And ban PDH

Josquius

Quote from: Syt on April 27, 2023, 02:59:51 PM

Glasgow Rangers? Though they obviously crawled their way back to the top.

A good one. Though if I understand right these guys just fell apart rather than being punished for corruption?
██████
██████
██████

Barrister

I meant it more that since the buyers are Los Angeles FC (one of the owners are involved in developing League of Legends) they were probably inspired by Wrexham.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Gups

Yeah Wrexham are traditionally a League 1/2 team. Brighton and Bradford both went from top div to league 2. Stockport from Championship to NL. Probably lots of others who have dropped 4 divisions. Can't think of any who have dropped 5 off the top of my head.

Josephus

Quote from: Josquius on April 27, 2023, 03:15:46 PMA good one. Though if I understand right these guys just fell apart rather than being punished for corruption?

Yeah, I don't think Rangers got relegated through play but were puished. It's hard to work up then, because you lose a lot of money.

I think Juventus also got relegated that way some years back.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Admiral Yi

Hey Shelf, is there an accent line in Wales?  I've watched a few Wrexham videos and none of the people talking had what I would consider a stereotypical Welsh accent.

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 27, 2023, 08:29:23 PMHey Shelf, is there an accent line in Wales?  I've watched a few Wrexham videos and none of the people talking had what I would consider a stereotypical Welsh accent.

It's North East Wales and Wrexham is very close to Cheshire/Merseyside, to the east of any Welsh mountains, so historically has a lot of economic ties with English industry and commerce.

So not too surprising that North or South Walian accents aren't that evident.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josquius

Weird that it's even in wales tbh.
██████
██████
██████