News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Americain ou Canadien, st'un criss d'anglo pareil.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 26, 2023, 11:42:50 AMYou need to dig a bit deeper to understand the numerous connections Mr. Reynolds has to BC.   His involvement with a football team offshore is largely irrelevant to that.

It is interesting that an Albertan views him as an American.  It would be hard to find a British Columbian who would say that.

Nothing much meant by it - it fit better with the phrasing of "two rich Americans".  People don't usually think of Canadians as being rich.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

HVC

Quote from: Gups on April 26, 2023, 01:18:25 PM
Quote from: HVC on April 26, 2023, 12:58:08 PMAnyway, back to football, i checked the premier league standing in light of the promotion talk. Is leicster getting relegated this year?

It's a tight race down there. I'd say it's 50/50. Hope not, best mate is a foxes fan and I've been with him and his kids quite a lot and grown to like them

That's closer than I would hope. From champions to out of the league in a pretty short amount of time.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Josquius

Checking up Blackburns relegation from the premier league was 4 years after winning it.

My money is on the current bottom 3, Southampton, Forest, and Everton, to go down.
██████
██████
██████

Gups

£35 to get BT for a month to watch man city v arsenal. ESPN Spanish language stream instead

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

FunkMonk

2-0 at HT and should have been 4 or 5. It is as expected. Season is over.

Season was lost after Saliba got injured after Arteta stupidly played him in a Europa League game and then dropping points three games in a row. This is just the final nail in the coffin.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Gups

Three now. They are in a different class  at the moment I'm afraid

FunkMonk

Quote from: Gups on April 26, 2023, 03:17:38 PMThree now. They are in a different class  at the moment I'm afraid

The treble is on. The FA Cup final will be extra spicy.

FunkMonk

4-1 FT. City made the second best team in the league look like children. They truly are incredible and look very likely to equal Manchester United's loftiest accomplishment. Definitely the best team in Europe and one of Pep's best teams ever.

Season is effectively over for Arsenal with the loss to City but Brighton's loss as well, which meant Arsenal have mathematically qualified for the CL for the first time since Arsene was manager. It's been a special season for this young team and for its many fans. They let us believe in something we thought unbelievable a year ago. I hope they learn from this season and continue to challenge City's dominance for years to come.

Not sure how City's cheating and resulting dominance makes the Premier League look good. They say the league is the most competitive and surprising in the world but right now it looks like Abu Dhabi's playground, with Saudi Arabia knocking on the door. We'll see what happens after the PL issues it's punishment to City in a couple years I guess.

crazy canuck

Quote from: HVC on April 26, 2023, 12:22:53 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 26, 2023, 12:18:18 PM
Quote from: HVC on April 26, 2023, 12:11:21 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 26, 2023, 12:07:20 PM
Quote from: HVC on April 26, 2023, 11:54:14 AMHe's lived his whole adult life in the states, so I guess it depends whether he considers himself Chadian or American.

Ah, no.  We see him around our hood frequently.

Glad he visits, but he lives in New York with his American wife and kids :P

Like I said, depends how he feels. Unless you're of the belief an immigrant can never be a member of the country they move to ;) :D

Another victim of thinking google is gospel  :(

Does google tell you how many months a year he spends in Vancouver shooting his movies, in an average year?

Man you're stubborn. Let me highlight it for you since you're having trouble letting it sink in. It entirely depends on  how he feels if he's american or canadian

I get the distinct feeling that you do not understand how broad your statement was.  You claimed he spent "his whole adult life" in the US.  That is not true at all.

I did not take you for one of the assholes here.  But ok.

Josquius

Quote from: FunkMonk on April 26, 2023, 04:13:05 PM.

Not sure how City's cheating and resulting dominance makes the Premier League look good. They say the league is the most competitive and surprising in the world but right now it looks like Abu Dhabi's playground, with Saudi Arabia knocking on the door. We'll see what happens after the PL issues it's punishment to City in a couple years I guess.

Remember that story about the Saudi investment fund getting out of a court case in the US by claiming to be a government body and not an ordinary third party whilst they'd just promised the opposite for their Newcastle take over?

That seems to have been conveniently forgotten.
██████
██████
██████

HVC

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 26, 2023, 04:21:44 PMI did not take you for one of the assholes here.  But ok.

The irony that you of all people on languish handing out the title of asshole is hysterical. Your lack of self realization is stunning. Thanks for the laugh, I truly do appreciate it :lol:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Jacob

Quote from: HVC on April 26, 2023, 12:56:53 PMThose are places, but if they said they're from Toronto everyone would laugh.

To give CC a small victory I googled his city. Closer to new haven then new york, so i guess he really lives in Connecticut :D

But fine, let's say he lives in New York, does that mean he can't consider himself American?

I personally want to think of him as canadian, and even felt a urge to say something to BB :D , but as the son of immigrants the reasoning that he HAS to be Canadian because he was born there rubs me the wrong way.

Reynolds spends a fair amount of effort communicating his connections to Vancouver, to BC, and to Canada through his charity work (and teaming up with and with fellow Vancouverite Seth Rogen). Some examples:

Donating $500,000 to First Nations clean drinking water NGO.

Matching donations to Vancouver Food Bank.

Christmas sweater fundraiser for the Hospital for Sick Children Foundation (that's in Toronto, I think).

He calls out various Vancouver businesses every so often, using his celebrity clout to help them. Example 1, Example 2.

Reynolds and Lively also donated to flooding relief in Southern BC.

In addition to frequently shooting films in Vancouver (like Deadpool), he's also known to include shoutouts to Vancouver in his films.

... local Vancouver media reports on these kinds of moves whenever they happen (easy clicks), and they do seem to happen quite frequently. Enough that even someone like me - who doesn't really follow film and don't really care about celebrities - are well aware of Reynolds' commitment to Vancouver.

All this combined with his social media handle - @VancityReynolds - suggests to me that he's pretty attached to his Canadian identity, especially locally to BC and Vancouver.

PDH

To be fair, BC is just the 4th west coast state anyway.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM