News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on April 26, 2023, 05:38:46 AMIf Ryan Reynolds pulls it off, then, yes, he's Canadian.
But if, in a year or two, he gets bored or cheap, and pulls away and Wrexham disappears once again, then, yes, his American.

Reminds me, (and some of you won't know what I'm talking about) about Ben Johnson. The Canadian sprinter, by way of Jamaica,  broke the 100m sprinting record at the 88 Olympics, winning the gold medal for Canada. All Canadians were raving about him. He was a bona fide Canadian hero.

then it turned out he failed his pee test, he had a banned substance in his blood and was stripped off his medal. From that point on, he became the Jamaican who tarnished Canada's image.

You need to dig a bit deeper to understand the numerous connections Mr. Reynolds has to BC.   His involvement with a football team offshore is largely irrelevant to that.

It is interesting that an Albertan views him as an American.  It would be hard to find a British Columbian who would say that.

HVC

He's lived his whole adult life in the states, so I guess it depends whether he considers himself Canadian or American.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

crazy canuck

Quote from: HVC on April 26, 2023, 11:54:14 AMHe's lived his whole adult life in the states, so I guess it depends whether he considers himself Chadian or American.

Ah, no.  We see him around our hood frequently.

Now part of that is many of his movies are shot here. 

So he spends considerable time in Vancouver both professionally and personally.

HVC

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 26, 2023, 12:07:20 PM
Quote from: HVC on April 26, 2023, 11:54:14 AMHe's lived his whole adult life in the states, so I guess it depends whether he considers himself Chadian or American.

Glad he visits, but he lives in New York with his American wife and kids :P

Like I said, depends how he feels. Unless you're of the belief an immigrant can never be a member of the country they move to ;) :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

crazy canuck

Quote from: HVC on April 26, 2023, 12:11:21 PM

Like I said, depends how he feels. Unless you're of the belief an immigrant can never be a member of the country they move to ;) :D

Another victim of thinking google is gospel  :(

Does google tell you how many months a year he spends in Vancouver shooting his movies, in an average year?

Valmy

Quote from: HVC on April 26, 2023, 12:11:21 PMLike I said, depends how he feels. Unless you're of the belief an immigrant can never be a member of the country they move to ;) :D

New York is a big international city. Living there is not more living in the US for a guy like him than some big finance guy having a residence in London means he is now British. It is a place you have to be to do certain jobs.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

HVC

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 26, 2023, 12:18:18 PM
Quote from: HVC on April 26, 2023, 12:11:21 PM

Another victim of thinking google is gospel  :(

Does google tell you how many months a year he spends in Vancouver shooting his movies, in an average year?

Man you're stubborn. Let me highlight it for you since you're having trouble letting it sink in. It entirely depends on  how he feels if he's american or canadian

HVC

Quote from: Valmy on April 26, 2023, 12:22:37 PM
Quote from: HVC on April 26, 2023, 12:11:21 PMLike I said, depends how he feels. Unless you're of the belief an immigrant can never be a member of the country they move to ;) :D

New York is a big international city. Living there is not more living in the US for a guy like him than some big finance guy having a residence in London means he is now British. It is a place you have to be to do certain jobs.

State, not city. And contrary to CC's condescending jab I saw it when letterman interviewed him for his Netflix show, not by googling.

Valmy

Quote from: HVC on April 26, 2023, 12:33:03 PM
Quote from: Valmy on April 26, 2023, 12:22:37 PM

State, not city. And contrary to CC's condescending jab I saw it when letterman interviewed him for his Netflix show, not by googling.

Pffft. He lives in the metro area. Hardly upstate.

Like saying somebody doesn't live in Dallas, they live in Plano.

Or I guess to put in your local lingo, I don't live in Toronto I live in...um...some town in the Toronto metro area like...er...*googles* Richmond Hill...or...Vaughan. Those are places, right?

However, America did seduce him with our hot actresses so I think that compromises his Canadian status I would think.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

HVC

Those are places, but if they said they're from Toronto everyone would laugh.

To give CC a small victory I googled his city. Closer to new haven then new york, so i guess he really lives in Connecticut :D

But fine, let's say he lives in New York, does that mean he can't consider himself American?

I personally want to think of him as canadian, and even felt a urge to say something to BB :D , but as the son of immigrants the reasoning that he HAS to be Canadian because he was born there rubs me the wrong way.

HVC

Anyway, back to football, i checked the premier league standing in light of the promotion talk. Is leicster getting relegated this year?

Valmy

No. Just that living in New York doesn't necessarily make one an American because when you are some big time actor you have to live near where the work is and that means, in North America anyway, living in or near New York or Los Angeles.

FunkMonk

Getting ready for an absolute embarrassment at the Etihad in an hour  :cry:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Gups

Quote from: HVC on April 26, 2023, 12:58:08 PMAnyway, back to football, i checked the premier league standing in light of the promotion talk. Is leicster getting relegated this year?

It's a tight race down there. I'd say it's 50/50. Hope not, best mate is a foxes fan and I've been with him and his kids quite a lot and grown to like them

Gups

Quote from: FunkMonk on April 26, 2023, 01:10:29 PMGetting ready for an absolute embarrassment at the Etihad in an hour  :cry:

Hoping for a shock. It's possible